Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2001 8:57:17 AM EDT
Will it harm AR 15 magazines to be stored for any length of time fully loaded? Is it hard on the springs?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
My opinion, nope.  I've heard of people with loaded Vietnam era mags and they work 100% to this day.

Link Posted: 6/4/2001 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep one 20 round mag loaded with 11 rounds for emergency purposes.It's been loaded for a month or two now,and it seems to be fine.I loaded it up in my AR-15 it up the other day while hiking in the forest,and it worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#4]
From what I understand the mags get weak from constant load/unload process. If you leave them loaded for long periods of time the spring is compressed and should be fine. There were some threads on this a few months ago and various people talked about different tests they have done and I believe there were a few people that had mags loaded for over 5 and 10 years that they took to the range and functioned fine.One guy had one much longer but not sure exactly but maybe 20 years? I have 6 thirty rounders that have been loaded for 6 months now, there is constant pressure still in all of them. I don't plan on testing them but rather once a year unload and check springs then reload again. These are my when the SHTF mags...
I also have a Beta C Mag 100rd drum that can be stored loaded indefinitely so I don't have to worry about it.[:)]

John
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Why the hell do you keep your mags loaded?  In case TSHTF???   GET A LIFE!  I'm willing to risk my life on the bet that there wont be:

Cuban paratroopers dropping out of the sky

Mutants rampaging through the streets, eating brains

Black UN helicopters attacking my house

On the other hand, if there is some type of race riot happening down the street, well.... I might load a few mags.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#7]
The oldest, continuously loaded mags I have are from my first handgun, a Browning Hi-Power bought in 1973.
No problems!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#8]
cant say for ar. but my 597 mags dont like extended loaded periods, but they are like 7 $ to replace. ruger hi caps (most) dont like it either. at 50$ a pop i wouldnt want to experiment with that. also, shotgun makers (scattergun tech i think) says a constantaly loaded magizene should have its springs rotated every six months i think.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#9]
These questions always bring up different opinions.  Based on what I have read, and from my small amount of experience, there is no damage.  The stress comes from the compression/expansion of the springs from multiple loadings.....not from a continuous compression of a loaded mag.  From my admittedly small amount of experience, I recently shot a mag from a HK USP that had beed loaded for shortly over 2 years, and it worked just fine.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I was one of those "forever" guys. WE got new M16 30 round mags at work 6 or 7 years ago. We loaded them up and packed them until last year when we shot them to replace the ammo. I had several mag problems and many others did also.
So. We got new mags and relegated the other mags to familiarization mags. We had them for 6 years or so. Fully loaded.
I keep one old 20 rounder loaded up in the safe.
That's it unless need arises.

We when got the new DPMS mags I ran with 28 rounds in them until one day when a Lt checked them. Where's the rounds? In my lunch box!
I didn't want any mag failures. Well it's policy to have 30 rounds in your mags. Well I have 30!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Adding to what has already been said, just on the safe side, I would never have all of my mags loaded for long term storage.  If I felt the need to have some loaded at all times for what ever reason, I would do so, and have plenty of ammo stored on stripper clips for quicker loading after that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#12]
thats the beauty of sks. stripperclips wont go bad, and laod almost as fast as a mag
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Who cares??  Springs are cheap. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The reason I asked is because I was bored one day, and loaded six 30 rounders, two 20 rounders, and a 40 rounder.  And now I am trying to justify to my girlfriend that I can't go to the mall with her tomorrow, because I need to make an emergency trip to the gun range, or all of my magazines will be ruined
[uzi]

seriously though,...Im not talking about stock piling for "TIN FOIL HATS vs. BLUE HELMETS".  But I like to load up my mags before I go to the range, and was wondering if there would be a problem if some of them don't get emptied for a while.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I keep 2 speedloaders full all of the time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#17]
In 1975 my buddy and I shot up 12 1911 Colt mags of 1918 headstamped .45ACP.  They had been loaded into the clips by his Grandfather in 1936, when he quit his part-time job as a Deputy Sheriff.  The ammo had some hangfires, but the mags fed 100%.  As far as I know he's still using them.

The problem with shotguns isn't so much spring failure, as it's bulged plastic shotshells.  Stored long term in a magazine tube, they tend to develope bulges between the metal head and the shot column.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
I keep 2 speedloaders full all of the time.
View Quote

Will you PLEASE stop it. You made me pee myself.
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Who cares??  Springs are cheap. [:D]
View Quote

...but a misfeed at the wrong moment could be permanently expensive.  

We probably all practice clearing malfunctions, but if a good magazine filling/rotation plan will help avoid a problem, I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing!  For my primary handgun, I've got two sets of magazines. I carry three loaded mags and have three more empty ones "resting" at home.  I rotate when I go to the range, so they don't stay full for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

Sounds like this approach will work for AR15 mags as well.  I also keep enough on strippers to fill up everything I've got and then do a full reload.  If that doesn't cover it, some serious S has HTF...

- AP

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top