Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 7:34:54 AM EDT
Ok, I acquired a new puppy a couple of weeks ago. Border collie mix. At night she normally sleeps in the bathroom under the cabinets on a pile of blankets. I keep the door closed as she is not allowed to roam the house. Well, I decided to block off the living room and let her come and go out of her crate to use the puppy pad in the middle of the night. LMAO ......................... I was rudely awaken at 0700 with a blood curdling scream DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE
I jumped up, hauled ass to the living room to see my wife looking as if she is going to rip off my balls and this

Hey, it was an ugly ass couch anyway. I dont think she swallowed any of it, bowel movements looked normal today so far. Notice her toys, LOL, I think she tried to use them to cover up the stuffing

This pup has given me the hardest time of any animal I have ever owned, but I love her dearly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, she (the puppy) certainly had a good time!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
what do you have a dog in your house for?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmmm....Border Collie mix. That sounds like an outside dog to me. An extremely smart dog...but an outside dog.

All the stories I've heard about Border Collies is that they can reak havock on the inside of a house.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
what do you have a dog in your house for?  

She has about 25 stitches in her belly right now. She is an inside and an outside dog. She will sleep in the house at night. She has a crate and normally likes to stay in it even with the door open.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#6]
If you didn't already know, borders collies need ALOT of attention as well as alot of training. I'm not just talking the basic commands, I'm talking about giving them advanced commands and challenges. They are working dogs and VERY intelligent. When they get bored and unhappy the result is often disliked by the owner. You need to start training the dog as early as possible or else you can expect to see more incidents like that. Other then that border collies make excellent pets and are good with children.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hmmmmm....Border Collie mix. That sounds like an outside dog to me. An extremely smart dog...but an outside dog.

All the stories I've heard about Border Collies is that they can reak havock on the inside of a house.

Yes, she has a ton of energy. I just cant do much with her right now due to her stitches.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Well it is a ugly ass couch.  Don't worry, the pup will eventually grow out of the destructive behavior.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, she has a ton of energy. I just cant do much with her right now due to her stitches.

The fun is only beginning!  Mine's 3 right now and finally to the point where she doesn't do hot laps 2 feet off the ground in living room when she comes in.  Over the couches, chairs, and end tables knocking stuff down and generally pissing the wife off.

They like to play though!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fun is only beginning!  Mine's 3 right now and finally to the point where she doesn't do hot laps 2 feet off the ground in living room when she comes in.  Over the couches, chairs, and end tables knocking stuff down and generally pissing the wife off.

They like to play though!

Hell, my dogs are 4 years, 4 years, and 9 months and they STILL do that. It's just a blur of legs and tails whipping around the perimeter of the house at Mach 0.7, mutts pinging off the walls, mass hysteria...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#11]
dog did you a favor. that couch was uglier than homemade soap
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Border Collie: LOTS of energy! need MUCH attention, training, working with.  Get a crate for night time confinement, works good for house breaking and will prevent a repeat...good luck!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#13]
In my house we call that WILDTHINGing!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#14]
dogs are just as good as people, they need to live in a house too. that said, i went through it all, 2 yr. lab, just finally coming around to behaving. W.B.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Gotta love em.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
dog did you a favor. that couch was uglier than homemade soap

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#17]
You might as well keep that couch for her.
Perhaps cover it in rawhide.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I love puppys. But they can be a handful at times.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#19]
At least she didn't eat the remote!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#20]
When our male Black Lab was 5, we got a female Black Lab who was less than a year old.  My wife and I went out one night, and when we came back, they had torn out the back of one of the couches and turned it completely over.  Like yours, it was an ugly couch and no big deal.  We did put the female in a crate after that whenever we left the house.

BTW for you curious people:  we have dogs in our house because we love dogs and love to have them near us.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#21]
... Oh my!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Ive got an indoor black lab. shes nearly a year old now. think the worse thing shes done was eat a pair of my girlfriends jeans LOL.......... she sleeps in the bedroom now in her own bed. She kinda like a child. She beggs to go to bed. hell we got jingle bells on the back door which she rings when she wants to go outside. Shes already 90 pounds and still growning. she fell asleep on my lap on the couch the other night for nearly 2 hours...... Shes never attempted to eat the couch but tears the hell out of her stuffed toys.  the cheapest toy you can give her is a empty rinsed out soda bottle, the larger the better. Shes got a system down of getting the cap off, then the label, then she crushes the bottle for about 30 minutes then wants another LOL Best dog youll ever meet.........
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If you didn't already know, borders collies need ALOT of attention as well as alot of training. I'm not just talking the basic commands, I'm talking about giving them advanced commands and challenges. They are working dogs and VERY intelligent. When they get bored and unhappy the result is often disliked by the owner. You need to start training the dog as early as possible or else you can expect to see more incidents like that. Other then that border collies make excellent pets and are good with children.

-Foxxz

I had a Border Collie/German Shephard mix.  The only thing she showed of the BC was that she weighed 35#s other than that  She looked like a miniature, long legged, German Shepherd.  Anyway- yes she was a little attention whore/prissy bitch mix but with a temper and a huge head lined with big teeth!  After a few years she mellowed down real good and it was always a hoot to watch her lay into and "flap" a racoon. I swear the only thing she enjoyed more than cramming her head and wet nose under my elbow begging for attention was flapping racoons... Sure miss her.

I taught her to shake hands, she would always offer the opposite hand from that extended to her... It was pathetic how she would follow people around constantly holding her paw up.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Awww, aren't they precious???

- BG
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Collie pups are probably the worst dog I've ever seen about chewing. Heard it has to do with their mouths being long & narrow.  Get plenty of chew toys and pray for the best.

wganz

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top