Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 5:07:03 AM EDT
I believe that the entire Star Wars saga is a retelling of the American Revolution.

A small band of rebels fight against a superior military and overwhelming odds for freedom from a tyrannical government (America vs. England).

Their struggle almost ends in disaster if not for the help of a race of frog looking aliens, who fly around in pretty looking ships (the Mon Calamari’s). Even though these frogs are there to help, their first instinct is to run away when the bullets start flying.  (Can anyone say the French?  No doubt when the war ended between the rebel’s and the empire the Mon Calamarians gave the rebel’s some big statue and then started a policy of backstabbing the rebels at every turn.  Later I am sure that Germany invaded the Mon Calamarians and the rebels had to go save their sorry asses).

The newest movies show us the dangers of placing to much power with a national government.  The old republic becomes the empire by taking power away from the planets (States) and giving it to a centralized figure (Federal Government).

Is Star Wars a metaphor for America?  Maybe.

Do I have to much time on my hands?  Not really, I have just though about this since I was a child and now feel that I am ready to throw my theory out there.

Am I just a nerd?  I might be, but I am a nerd who is well armed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#1]

[otter] Germans? [/otter]

[boon] Forget it. He's rolling. [/boon]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:12:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Wedge --

Take off the Darth Vader helmet and breathe some fresh air....

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wedge --

It is a Boba Fett helemt thank you very much.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:15:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Stay on target...

Too much lock-tite there, wedge?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Funny thing is I'm watching the better version of that movie now

Space Balls

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you watch that 2 hour Star Wars show last night?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#9]

<------

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wedge --

The Boba Fett helmet is mine.  If you left any staines in or on it I'll take away Land Speeder for a week.  Plus an extra season on the moisture farm.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wedge --

I shoulda known....
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:25:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wedge --

I shoulda known....

Funny thing is I am the owner of a Boba Fett helmet.  On the inside there is a little plaque that has the number of the helmet and a warning that says "This helmet is not to be used as a protective device."
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:25:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Another take on the political metaphors of Star Wars:

The Case for the Empire -- Everything you think you know about Star Wars is wrong

STAR WARS RETURNS today with its fifth installment, "Attack of the Clones." There will be talk of the Force and the Dark Side and the epic morality of George Lucas's series. But the truth is that from the beginning, Lucas confused the good guys with the bad. The deep lesson of Star Wars is that the Empire is good.

It's a difficult leap to make--embracing Darth Vader and the Emperor over the plucky and attractive Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia--but a careful examination of the facts, sorted apart from Lucas's off-the-shelf moral cues, makes a quite convincing case.

More at link.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:25:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Somebody has been drinking the Jawa juice again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Space Balls

Did anyone else notice the Calico 100 rd .22's they used as the "space rifles" in that movie?

Must'a been a pre-ban space war
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#15]
This is a Jawa...

Quoted:
Somebody has been drinking the Jawa juice again.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Another take on the political metaphors of Star Wars:

The Case for the Empire -- Everything you think you know about Star Wars is wrong

STAR WARS RETURNS today with its fifth installment, "Attack of the Clones." There will be talk of the Force and the Dark Side and the epic morality of George Lucas's series. But the truth is that from the beginning, Lucas confused the good guys with the bad. The deep lesson of Star Wars is that the Empire is good.

It's a difficult leap to make--embracing Darth Vader and the Emperor over the plucky and attractive Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia--but a careful examination of the facts, sorted apart from Lucas's off-the-shelf moral cues, makes a quite convincing case.

More at link.

I have thought something similar for a long time now.

The rebels consisted of a lot of shady characters.  Han was a spice (drug) smuggler.  Lando was in all kinds of shady deals (Cloud City was a business that sold to people who wanted to maintain a low profile).  Chewie was reported to get mad a rip peoples arms off.  Ben liked to cut people's arms off in bars (not to mention that he is a pathological liar, point of view my ass).

What bugs me to no end is that Boba Fett is so often labeled as a bad guy just because he worked for the empire.  He was a bounty hunter.  He made his living tracking down criminals and bring them to justice.  How is this bad?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#17]
itsNOT a trap?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Wedge, Mon Calamari are frogs??

I don't think so! They're SQUID!

Jeez...

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Wedge, Mon Calamari are frogs??

I don't think so! They're SQUID!

Jeez...

They have a little frog look to them.  Plus it helped with my allusion to the French.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Space Balls

Check, Please!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a discussion with a Star Wars nerd about this.
His view on Star Wars is that the Clones run the Empire.

And while it's a small point, the Empire's manners and decorum speak well of it. When Darth Vader is forced to employ bounty hunters to track down Han Solo, he refuses to address them by name. Even Boba Fett, the greatest of all trackers, is referred to icily as "bounty hunter." And yet Fett understands the protocol. When he captures Solo, he calls him "Captain Solo." (Whether this is in deference to Han's former rank in the Imperial starfleet, or simply because Han owns and pilots his own ship, we don't know. I suspect it's the former.)

He thinks that Vader treats Fett like this not because he is a clone (the last clone?) but because he has free will where Vader is nothing more than a puppet for Palpatine, and Vader can't stand that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

And while it's a small point, the Empire's manners and decorum speak well of it. When Darth Vader is forced to employ bounty hunters to track down Han Solo, he refuses to address them by name. Even Boba Fett, the greatest of all trackers, is referred to icily as "bounty hunter." And yet Fett understands the protocol. When he captures Solo, he calls him "Captain Solo." (Whether this is in deference to Han's former rank in the Imperial starfleet, or simply because Han owns and pilots his own ship, we don't know. I suspect it's the former.)

He thinks that Vader treats Fett like this not because he is a clone (the last clone?) but because he has free will where Vader is nothing more than a puppet for Palpatine, and Vader can't stand that.

How does this mean the Empire is run by the Clones?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:08:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does this mean the Empire is run by the Clones?

The clones do not run the empire. They are simply the muscle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#25]
NERD

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
NERD

That is well armed nerd to you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NERD

Gonna have to change your answers on the 4473.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#28]
wedge, I fear for your sanity

put the action figures down and back away slowly.............
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
wedge, I fear for your sanity

put the action figures down and back away slowly.............

YOU CAN TAKE MY ACTION FIGURES FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS.

eta - If you thought this was scary wait for part two.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
NERD

hahaha
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
NERD

Gonna have to change your answers on the 4473.

I must have missed the Star Wars section of the 4473.  Although it has been a couple years since my last purchase.  Maybe the form has changed
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Good frog reference.  But I must say your other two were better.  You're picking up momentum with each one.

"...almost there....almost there...."

(who said those words in Star Wars?)

Yes, this one was more of a statement of a theory.

Red leader.
www.starwars.com/databank/character/redleader/index.html
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Good frog reference.  But I must say your other two were better.  You're picking up momentum with each one.

"...almost there....almost there...."

(who said those words in Star Wars?)

"Negative.  It didn't go in.  Just peckin' on the surface"
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
where is my damn "Nerd Alarm" button!!??!??!!!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#36]

pay no attention the the man tagging this thread to real later
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top