Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/11/2004 8:50:44 AM EDT
Does anyone know how to turn off daytime running lights on a Toyota?  I was told by the dealer that the mechanism that controls this feature "is in the computer," and turning these lights off cannot be done.

Any suggestions??

I've stopped the madness!!  I called Toyota and they told me they'd do it for $75. or they'd explain to me how.   Of course, I had them explain it.  Here is what you do:

1.  Position youself on your back under the dash looking up.  Head up against the pedals.
2.  Almost directly under the steering column to the right (if in driving position) there is a small black box that says "Daytime Running Lights . . . "
3.  There is a white plug going into the back of the box that has at least 12 wires running into it.
4.  Find the black wire with red stripe running down it.  It will be on the end of the other wires.
5.  Cut that wire.
6.  Problem solved!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
There's got to be a way... wire a switch into the circuit....
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
some cars have codes that can be entered through non-obvious switches, GM's, I am told, can disable the feature by turning the interior light disable button on & off four times in a row (haven't tried it on my GM) - maybe one of the Toy boards have figured out their codes (if they even have them)

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to either of these two places

www.lightsout.org/index.html

nordicgroup.us/drl/

Plenty of instructions to disable.

And when I go shop for a car I tell the salesman to get service to disable them or lose his sale and commision.  Contrary to what some car salesman asshats believe, it is not illegal to disable the stupid lights.  We are not Canada.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#4]
beat by 20 seconds!

btw: I had a vehicle had a "stealth" switch that shut off the DRL, brake lights, interior lights, horn and turn signal indicators, I was told it was installed as part of the LEO package by a local shop?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#6]
As much as some people hate them, they are a legitimate safety feature.  Every place where they have been added has seen a decrease in accident rates.  They don't do any harm or add cost, like airbags.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The ARFKOM hive mind knows all. Do not question the hive mind.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I hate daytime headlights.

Thanks for that link.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What is the downside to having daytime running lamps? Why all the fuss?

What if you have an alternator go out in the middle of nowhere. It's going to cut your range down. I can also think of a couple of times when engine running and no lights would be a good thing.All cars should have a manual bypass
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Go to either of these two places

nordicgroup.us/drl/

Plenty of instructions to disable.

And when I go shop for a car I tell the salesman to get service to disable them or lose his sale and commision.  Contrary to what some car salesman asshats believe, it is not illegal to disable the stupid lights.  We are not Canada.

THANKS!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
As much as some people hate them, they are a legitimate safety feature.  Every place where they have been added has seen a decrease in accident rates.  They don't do any harm or add cost, like airbags.

Thats the problem, WHEN YOU CAN SEE THEM, face it, just about every GM vehicle, I see in the daytime, that has these DTRL, allways, I mean allways have at least one of them  BURNED OUT,
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#13]
DRLs at night on a boat ramp are very annoying.  If someone doesn't know how to turn them off (usually by engaging the emergency brake) then it's hard to back down beside them.  Of course this doesn't help if the idea of common courtesy is lost on you and you leave on your headlights while you load/unload your boat.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#14]
They are NOT a legitimate safety feature, they are just another fucking piece of shit forced on us by the liberal mommy dummycunts.

Some insurance companies don't even give rate reductions for DRLs anymore.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What if you have an alternator go out in the middle of nowhere. It's going to cut your range down. I can also think of a couple of times when engine running and no lights would be a good thing.All cars should have a manual bypass

LOL – If the alternator ever goes out (and I'm so desparate to get somewhere that I can't get it repaired before driving the vehicle), I'll just unplug the headlamps from their sockets.

DRLs save lives. "Hating" them doesn't change that fact.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the problem, WHEN YOU CAN SEE THEM, face it, just about every GM vehicle, I see in the daytime, that has these DTRL, allways, I mean allways have at least one of them  BURNED OUT,

Almost all  GM trucks i see have one out too, a friend of mine has one and got tired of replacing them and let them both burn out.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They are NOT a legitimate safety feature, they are just another fucking piece of shit forced on us by the liberal mommy dummycunts.

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I hate not being able to turn them off when I am driving up to a stalk point during hunting season.

I would want something I could turn off for a few weeks and then be able to turn back on.

And a friend of mine who rides a motorcycle with lights on prefers that only bikes run with them so people notice riders more often.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The fact that you don't LIKE them doesn't change the fact that they are an additional - even if slight - safety benefit.  They make other cars more visible - particulaly in dusky or twilight conditions where a lot of people have no yet turned on their lights - and also when driving west in the afternoon/evening and the sun is in your eyes (makes it much easier to see on-coming traffic - for example when you're turning).

that said - I agree it should still be possible to turn them off.  Volvos have ahd daytime runing lights for DECADES, and you can still turn them off quite easily.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Gun-banner!
GUN-BANNER!!

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fact that you don't LIKE them doesn't change the fact that they are an additional - even if slight - safety benefit.  They make other cars more visible - particulaly in dusky or twilight conditions where a lot of people have no yet turned on their lights - and also when driving west in the afternoon/evening and the sun is in your eyes (makes it much easier to see on-coming traffic - for example when you're turning).

that said - I agree it should still be possible to turn them off.  Volvos have ahd daytime runing lights for DECADES, and you can still turn them off quite easily.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#21]
What's the problem?

It makes you more visible during the day and night and they go on and off automatically right?

So why not just leave them alone?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Gun-banner!
GUN-BANNER!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That will save you MAYBE 1/2 a mile.  If your alternator is going out you will be DOA quick!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gun-banner!
GUN-BANNER!!

OWES ME AMMO, and BEER.......
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Uh huh.....Every try to see a motorcycle during the day without lights?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What's the problem?

It makes you more visible during the day and night and they go on and off automatically right?

Sgatr15

Mine are on ALWAYS, they never get turned off, well, now I know how they will. But when I og hunting it is a PITA to get to my stalk without lights spooking every bit of game in the area.

So, loop back it is
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gun-banner!
GUN-BANNER!!

I promise - next time I'm in Oklahoma, I'm bringing beer.

(where is oklahoma, anyway?   )
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What's the problem?

Sgatr15

OK... I said I'd try not to do this, but...
I think Sgtar15 is right.  What's the big deal???

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is the cheapass I-won't-replacem-my-lightbulb owner's fault...

It has nothing to do with GM or their electrical system design...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Right above Baja, Oklahoma.

Quoted:
(where is oklahoma, anyway?)

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#33]
We are talking cars here Bucko.
Motorcycles don't have daytime running lights, their lights are on all the time.

And yes, I'll agree with you.....

Quoted:
Uh huh.....Every try to see a motorcycle during the day without lights?
Sgatr15

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#34]

That will save you MAYBE 1/2 a mile.  If your alternator is going out you will be DOA quick!

Sgtar15

That's why I want freaking magnetos in my car like I have in the planes I fly. Anyone ever heard of this being done?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I actually like the things...

I've gotten so used to not having to turn lights on and off in a car, that I found myself driving w/o lights when I had to help someone take their older car to the body shop....

I can't see how anyone would not like DRLs...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

That's why I want freaking magnetos in my car like I have in the planes I fly. Anyone ever heard of this being done?

If we're adding airplane features, I want an ejection seat ... and a cannon!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
We are talking cars here Bucko.
Motorcycles don't have daytime running lights, their lights are on all the time.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gun-banner!
GUN-BANNER!!

I promise - next time I'm in Oklahoma, I'm bringing beer.

(where is oklahoma, anyway?   )

Turn South, you will find us, SOONER or later    I like Bud Long necks......
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They may offer a very slight advantage, if only *some* cars have them, because they stand out more.  Research has shown people will notice things that stand out more and if all other cars around them have DRL then the net effect is nil.  Not only that, but motorcyclists rely on running their lights all the time to improve visibility, and this same effect will cause people to start zoning them out as they blend in to the sea of DRL.  Eventually we'll have all cars running light bars and sirens nonstop for "safety"!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#41]
DRLs make a vehicle visible at 2-3 times the distance the car itself would be visible.
Call'em what you will, but they save lives.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They may offer a very slight advantage, if only *some* cars have them, because they stand out more.  Research has shown people will notice things that stand out more and if all other cars around them have DRL then the net effect is nil.  Not only that, but motorcyclists rely on running their lights all the time to improve visibility, and this same effect will cause people to start zoning them out as they blend in to the sea of DRL.  Eventually we'll have all cars running light bars and sirens nonstop for "safety"!

The point I'm making is that some cars will be visible, where otherwise they would not have been - I'm not talking about being able to dinstinguish one car from another.

I can give you two examples that just happened yesterday.  

When I was leaving work friday, I was pulling out of the parking lot, and ALMOST pulled out in front of a dark grey car that was VERY difficult to see as the sun was starting to set and shadows were long.  The dark grey color made that car almost impossible to see aginst the road and under the trees that line the road.  Daytime running lights would have made that car easy to see - and even if other cars had lights on, that would not have made this car any less visible or noticable.

Later yesterday, as I was getting closer to my house, I needed to turn left from the road into the grocery store paking lot, (and thus had to cross on-coming traffic to do so).  Since I was facing west, the setting sun was in my eyes - and cars with daytime running lights were much easier to see that cars without.  Again, I don't see how somehow I wouln't be noticing cars if they ALL had daytime running lights.

In both of those cases, there was a greater risk of me accidentally pulling out in front of a car if it did not have lights on, simply because that particular car waas harder to see than those with lights on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Sgtar15

Why stop there? Why not a turbine? I mean, it's much more reliable than a piston engine, and it's self sustaining once it is started. Of course, gas mileage would go down the tubes...

Imagine pulling up to a light with some faggot ricer and you got a whining turbine going on back there... that would kick ass.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If you can't see a car in the daytime unless it has lights on I really don't think you should be driving at all. Kids on rollerskates don't have headlights, either do parents pushing strollers. Some of you may be in need of having your eyeglass prescription looked at again.

This is not directed at you DK.

I'm offended anyway   ... just kidding  

My point was just that while daytime running lights aren't necessary, they can HELP avoid accidents (paricularly in the types of cases I described), and I don't really see any serious cost or downside - as long as there is a swtich to turn them off. To me, it's clear there's SOME benefit, even if we can argue about the magnitude, and virtually no cost (from an overall social/public policy perspective).

But I agree with you - all pedestrians and bicycles should have large rotating flashing lights mounted to their heads!!  Especially children - do it for the children dammit !
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
 They don't do any harm or add cost, ...

I was replacing one side or the other on my wifes Pontiac Montana every 3 months or so.  At $16 a pop that ads up.  

Haven't had any problems since I pulled the fuse for them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#48]
It all comes down to CHOICE!  This is still America, and the .gov is NOT my MOTHER!  If I WANT DRL, I will turn them on.!  If I don't, I WON'T turn them on.  To REQUIRE them to run all the time is ridiculous!  That said, I am sooo lazy that I won't but a car that doesn't have auto headlights, and then I have my mechanic wire in a bypass to turn them off in case I have a reason to run blacked out!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the problem?

Sgatr15

OK... I said I'd try not to do this, but...

I think Sgtar15 is right.  What's the big deal???

I worked with a company that did Automotive lighting systems so I had the opportunity to read the technical data on DTRL. Most people lose sight of the fact that lights are on cars not only to help you see, but to help you BE SEEN.  There are conditions, fog and rain, where a car running without lights disappears in your side view mirrors, especially where you have spray behind the car.  Get some fog on the side view mirrors, and it's impossible to see a car without the lights on.  Most people are not intelligent enough to turn their lights on in the rain.  They figure that since they can see, they don't need their lights on.  THEY ARE WRONG.  The result is alot of the classic lane-change motor vehicle collisions.
There have been numerous studies in Canada and Sweden that have seen accident rates drop where DTRL are used.  It's actually a benefit, but tons of people hate them.  The data bears that out, too.  That's why Ford and Chrysler don't have them.
If you drive high mileage in an urban area where there is alot of rain, you do realize the benefit.  I go to Canada fairly often, you notice the difference as soon as the rain starts.  It's not just bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't like having those decisions made for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top