Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2001 11:55:12 PM EDT
I posted asking what people's preferred carry weapon([url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=26430[/url]) was.  Now I'm wondering how people usually carry concealed.  I go to college, and after I turn 21 and get permission from the dean, I'll be carrying.  What kind of rigs do people use for "casual" atire, any special tricks to keeping things hidden?  I'm worried about things showing through especially with a backpack on.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I posted asking what people's [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=26430]preferred carry weapon[/url] was.  Now I'm wondering how people usually carry concealed.  I go to college, and after I turn 21 and get permission from the dean, I'll be carrying.  What kind of rigs do people use for "casual" atire, any special tricks to keeping things hidden?  I'm worried about things showing through especially with a backpack on.
View Quote

You might want to look into maybe getting some Thunderwear.[url]http://www.thunderwear.com/[/url]

John
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#2]
For me it depends on the weapon. I prefer to carry a HK .45C. Although I sometimes do this strong side OWB, I prefer to carry it using a shoulder holster. (If you get a shoulder holster - GET A GOOD ONE, otherwise it is not worth it.)

If for one reason or another I need to carry  something else: I have a Glock 27 that I carry either in an ankle holster (rarely) or in a Galco tuckable IWB.

Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#3]
IWB.  If you buy a quality holster, you almost forget the weapon is back there.  I carry a Glock 36, & even w/ shorts & a t-shirt, I can comfortably & effectively conceal it even on one of GA's hottest of days.  My second choice is a shoulder holster, especially if I feel the need to have a spare mag or two.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Spider I also carry a Glock 36 in a Galco holster behind my back.  It is pretty comfortable even on the hottest days.  I wear it with shorts and a t-shirt pulled out over it, so far I've never had anyone notice it.  I like this holster because I can use it for most occasions, it works with casual clothes and dress wear.  Spider what part of GA are you in.  I was just there over the Memorial day weekend to tell my fiancee's parents that I, uhh, well, that is to say, we got her pregnant.  I was way down in Adel, that is the south.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry a 1911 in an IWB and can't even tell it's there.  With a good belt it works with shorts as well.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
A Kimber ultra carry or pro carry in a IWB is your best bet. Expensive gun though! I am in the same boat as you. I am not yet 21 but I have been told that is the best, and from my reading and firing of handguns I would agree. If I read the law right here in Ga, you could carry now as long as it is not concealed.
[uzi]

What College? Most Schools Here would kick you out for asking... They shouldn't be able to, but they would
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
University of Washington Student Conduct Code:
[url]http://www.washington.edu/students/handbook/conduct.html#020[/url]

(3) Specific instances of misconduct include, but are not limited to:
(f) Possession or use of firearms, explosives, dangerous chemicals or other dangerous weapons or instrumentalities on the University campus, except for authorized University purposes, unless prior written approval has been obtained from the Vice President for Student Affairs, or any other person designated by the President of the University (see WAC 478-124-020 (2)(e)) (legal defense sprays are not covered by this section);
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry either in a Galco shoulder rig or waist holser.  I have tried several and believe that Galco makes the best equipment for concealed carry.  As was stated previously, the right equipment doesn't even feel like it is there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Leather fanny-pack.  It's comfortable, and you never have to worry about accedental exposure.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I am with spoomer.

I carry a fanny pack (G23 OR 1911) ALL the time. With the quick pull string, its ALMOST as good as a holster for access. I have two. A Galco and an UnBrand Leather. I prefer the Unbrand, as it has a weapon sleeve, that attaches with velcro, allowing firearm angle adjustment, as well as ambidextrious.

Dress occasion calls for an Uncle Mikes ankle holster (Keltec 9MM), OR my lil Beretta Tomcat in a pocket sleeve...
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:56:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Glock 26, in a Galco pocket holster.

Capro, it's nice to be young and full of dreams and hopes, but ugly reality will soon drop down onto you out of the sky.  Picture a boot stomping on a human face, forever.  Your chances of legal carry on the UW campus can best be described as similar to proton decay -- theoretically possible, but never observed in practice so far.

Best of luck to you.  Personally, I carried for years where it was quite illegal.  Keep it small, keep it hidden at all costs (unless it's necessary to draw, anyway).  I would suggest either a small .32 (Seecamp, Beretta) or a S&W Airweight .38.  With a little ingenuity, nobody will have the slightest clue that it's there.

The derringers look neat, but get one in an effective caliber and your hand will hate you for buying it.  I got rid of mine after perhaps a dozen rounds through it (.40S&W "American Derringer" DA -- I DON'T recommend them for other reasons as well).  The NAA minirevolvers are pretty cute, but completely ineffective -- the only positive self-defense story I've heard about them was some guy who kept it in his truck;  his girlfriend was attacked by some bum, and she grabbed it and shoved it up the guy's nose.  That got his attention. [:D]  .25ACPs are likewise ineffective, but at least slightly better IMHO.

If you do it, though, you'll have to keep in mind that you WILL be thrown out of school if caught.  College campuses are singularly intolerant of peoples' rights (all of them, not just self-defense rights), and UW's reputation in this regard is particularly poor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top