Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 1:05:45 AM EDT
Tuesday, September 07, 2004

BAGHDAD, Iraq — U.S. forces battled insurgents loyal to radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr (search) in the Baghdad slum of Sadr City (search) on Tuesday, the U.S. military said. At least 33 people were killed and 193 injured in the fighting, Iraqi authorities said.

U.S. Army Capt. Brian O'Malley said several American soldiers have been injured, but that he did provide the exact figure.

The fighting erupted when militants attacked U.S. forces carrying out routine patrols, O'Malley said.

"We just kept coming under fire," he said.

Residents said loud explosions and gunfire could be heard across Sadr City on Monday night and that clashes spilled over into Tuesday morning.

A senior Health Ministry official, said a total of 33 people have been killed and 193 injured in the Sadr City clashes in the past 24 hours.

The renewed fighting came after several days of calm in the impoverished neighborhood after al-Sadr called on his followers last week to end the fighting and announced that he was planning to unveil plans to enter politics.

Blacken the skies with B52's.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link?

And is that figure for our side or theirs?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:15:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I seriously want to know what the big deal is about nuking these motherfuckers. we seriously just need to drop the bomb. Drop it on north korea.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#5]
wait, which side are the casualties on?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
wait, which side are the casualties on?

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:54:33 AM EDT
[#8]
On the Early Today Show on NBC, all I recall them mentioning was the US casualties and deaths over the past 24 hours. I swear, those biased bastards piss me off so bad. Not even any mention that I heard of what the troops actually did. Talk about fair and balanced. We so only get slanted information. Thank God for the internet and other sources of info besides CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS and ABC.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]
ya know every time there is a cease-fire the BG just end up rearming and shooting up the GG some more.
Am i the only one that thinks every time these guys go for a cease-fire we should get midevil and turn the place into a giant grease spot?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I said it after the last 'agreement' in Najaf…

We will be fighting this nut again before a month is out… here we go again…

As usual a week of fighting will ensue, he will hide in a 'Holy Site', we we agree not to kill him, he will agree to a 'ceasefire', we will pull back… repeat as neccessay…

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Man, I really hope that after Bush wins he lets us take the gloves off.  The Marines have some unfinished business in Falluja.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Thye should have taken this fucker out the first time
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thye should have taken this fucker out the first second THIS time

Fixed it for you…

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Man, I really hope that after Bush wins he lets us take the gloves off.  The Marines have some unfinished business in Falluja.

But until then, making political hay with the lives of the servicemen will have to do...  

When it comes to the lives and safety of our forces, fuck the politics.  What needs to be done should be done quickly and thoroughly.  THis kind of shit makes me sick.  It doesn't matter that the casualties are greater on the bad guys' side.  Decimation of Sadr and his group LAST TIME could have saved one life, then it's worth it.

But no, we'll keep playing games.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully the AC-130's are giving the boy's good air support!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
ya know every time there is a cease-fire the BG just end up rearming and shooting up the GG some more.
Am i the only one that thinks every time these guys go for a cease-fire we should get midevil and turn the place into a giant grease spot?

Strange as it may seem, there may actually be some logic in what we're doing:

If they stop fighting, we have to stop killing them. If they don't, we get to keep killing them.

(Ya know, we really need a "seventy syphilis-infected wenches in Hell" icon! )
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I think this last "agreement" was Ayatollah Sistani's way of getting the bastard out of the old Mosque  with out destroying the place and Sistani knew full well that the thug Al-Sadr would get into trouble again.  Just a matter of time before that fat Thug is consumed in the fireball of a JDAM.

If my theory is right, pretty brilliant play by Sistani of getting Al-Sadr on his way to meet the virgins.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Why don't they use some kind of chemical weapon on these guys when they hide out in mosques.

There's got to be some kind of gas that can kill them, and not permanantly contaminate the mosque.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#19]
SOS....

Same Old Sh*t

We said that this would happen during the last "truce" that got signed. Bottom line:

Kill this guy and kill all his followers. Pin them down and destroy them. Either that, or fight him every month in a war of attrition.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#21]
God Bless our fighting men and women. They are kicking ass and taking names. I think they have done their job. Now, since the people of the shithole can not police their own, pull out our troops and MOAB one city at a time until they get the fucking point.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

BAGHDAD, Iraq — U.S. forces battled insurgents loyal to radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr (search) in the Baghdad slum of Sadr City (search) on Tuesday, the U.S. military said. At least 33 people were killed and 193 injured in the fighting, Iraqi authorities said.

U.S. Army Capt. Brian O'Malley said several American soldiers have been injured, but that he did provide the exact figure.

The fighting erupted when militants attacked U.S. forces carrying out routine patrols, O'Malley said.

Residents said loud explosions and gunfire could be heard across Sadr City on Monday night and that clashes spilled over into Tuesday morning.

A senior Health Ministry official, said a total of 33 people have been killed and 193 injured in the Sadr City clashes in the past 24 hours.

The renewed fighting came after several days of calm in the impoverished neighborhood after al-Sadr called on his followers last week to end the fighting and announced that he was planning to unveil plans to enter politics.

Sounds liek they're not very 'loyal', as they were told to stand down... Remember, they gave up that shrine in Najaf and Sadr told them turn in your weapons?

As for our casualties, I predict the number is 'Zero', which is why it was not mentioned...

Go get 'em Army!

Yeah, and kill alll the rest of a city of what, 2-5 million, that are on OUR side, too?

The Army seems to be doing a good enough job just shooting the bastards, that's all we need to do...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I seriously want to know what the big deal is about nuking these motherfuckers. we seriously just need to drop the bomb. Drop it on north korea.

'cause it won't help us with one junior cleric & his band of thugs...

The only way to beat them without loosing all of Iraq is to just keep doing what we're doing...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds liek they're not very 'loyal', as they were told to stand down... Remember, they gave up that shrine in Najaf and Sadr told them turn in your weapons?

As for our casualties, I predict the number is 'Zero', which is why it was not mentioned...

Go get 'em Army!

Yeah, and kill alll the rest of a city of what, 2-5 million, that are on OUR side, too?

The Army seems to be doing a good enough job just shooting the bastards, that's all we need to do...

If they truly wanted freedom and democracy, those 2-5 million people would police their own and burn these "radicals" at the stake. They arent even trying.  Its Bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why don't they use some kind of chemical weapon on these guys when they hide out in mosques.

There's got to be some kind of gas that can kill them, and not permanantly contaminate the mosque.

Because the United States does not posess or employ Chemical Weapons. We signed a treaty to the effect and destroyed or are destroying our stockpile ever since.

Further, because when the blow-back from a gas weapon kills a bunch of friendly civillians, they will see us as no different than Saddam gassing the Kurds....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If they stop fighting, we have to stop killing them. If they don't, we get to keep killing them.

(Ya know, we really need a "seventy syphilis-infected wenches in Hell" icon! )

Correct.

And we're hardly losing any troops doing it...

Kill ratio is, I'd guess, around 500:1 right now... Maybe higher...

They will run out of supporters long before we run out of ammo...

Keep in mind, the 9 soldiers who died recently were not killed by Sadr's militia... Sadr's crew is very ineffective, to say the least... The 'more dangerous' insurgents are the Saddam-trained ones operating out of Fallujah & surrounding...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go get 'em Army!

If they truly wanted freedom and democracy, those 2-5 million people would police their own and burn these "radicals" at the stake. They arent even trying.  Its Bullshit.

You know, after 30+ years of life under Saddam, they're not going to start acting like American individualist patriots overnight...

Most of those people are hiding in their homes, afraid of retaliation from the eventual winners if they back the losing side..

All it will take is a major screwup on either side and they will suddenly be motivated to chose an alliance.

Killing innocent civillians en-masse would be such a screwup...

Remember: We have deposed Saddam allready, that is DONE.

if we are not in Iraq to complete a war of liberation - to win the hearts & minds of the people and install democracy, then we have no business being there, much less bombing cities or killing any more poeople.

So there are two options: FIGHT TO WIN, TO LIBERATE (which means no B52 strikes, no use of WMD, but rather the precise employment of ground forces to kill as many terrorists/insurgents as possible while minimizing collateral damage)

Or LEAVE (because what's the point of staying if we aren't fighting to liberate the Iraqi people?)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#28]
al-Sadr needs to be removed or he's going to become a political issue.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Fentanyl.

Ask the Russians about how well it works.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go get 'em Army!

You know, after 30+ years of life under Saddam, they're not going to start acting like American individualist patriots overnight...

Most of those people are hiding in their homes, afraid of retaliation from the eventual winners if they back the losing side..

All it will take is a major screwup on either side and they will suddenly be motivated to chose an alliance.

Killing innocent civillians en-masse would be such a screwup...

Remember: We have deposed Saddam allready, that is DONE.

if we are not in Iraq to complete a war of liberation - to win the hearts & minds of the people and install democracy, then we have no business being there, much less bombing cities or killing any more poeople.

So there are two options: FIGHT TO WIN, TO LIBERATE (which means no B52 strikes, no use of WMD, but rather the precise employment of ground forces to kill as many terrorists/insurgents as possible while minimizing collateral damage)

Or LEAVE (because what's the point of staying if we aren't fighting to liberate the Iraqi people?)

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You are by no means the only one that thinks that.  It's time we get tough with these people.  I think they're acting like children, they say they're sorry and then when nobody's looking they do the same thing again.  What to do with misbehaving children?  SPANK THEM!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I think they're acting like children, they say they're sorry and then when nobody's looking they do the same thing again.  What to do with misbehaving children?  SPANK THEM!!!

We're already giving them a spanking – and then we're giving them an irrestible opportunity to get spanked again, and again, and...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
God Bless our fighting men and women. They are kicking ass and taking names. I think they have done their job. Now, since the people of the shithole can not police their own, pull out our troops and MOAB one city at a time until they get the fucking point.

Sounds like a plan!

Bilster
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Flatten them.

Enough peace talks.  They can't be trusted.

Interpret "they" as you please.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm wondering how Kerry would fight a more "sensitive" war in response to these attacks?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top