Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 6:17:25 PM EDT

I personally, don't like ANYONE to know my business, outside of close friends and family.  When people ask me what I do, I just tell them I am in the service, and leave it at that.  I very rarely say anything about firearms, and am careful to not tell people what I own, how I store them, that I have a CWP, etc.

I also don't spend a lot of time gabbing with coworkers about my personal life, or with friends about my work life.

No real reason for my secrecy, I just like to practice OPSEC.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not telling you!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Why are you asking?  Who do you work for?  Why are you here?  Who sent you to check up on me?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
None of your Goddamned business!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
<---open book. Nothing to hide.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Sigh.  This is going downhill quickly.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not secreting anything right now.

Seriously though, I'm not very secretive. I don't like when people ask how many guns, or family income-type questions, but other than that I don't make a point of keeping things secret.  (I'm a bit more selective about what I post on the web though).
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I am pretty much an open book.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#9]
i never use capital letters, too high-profile...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Who are you? What do you want to know for? Where are you located? Why are you asking this question at this time?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
You are letting everyone keep thinking guns are bad and only crazy people own them.
(I'm going out on a limb and assuming you are not crazy)
Let eveyone who will listen know how fun and natural and Constitutional firearms are.
What good does secretiveness do?
Do you like keeping all the fun to yourself?
Take a chance. Advance the cause.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Let's just say it takes more than a FOIA request to get me to talk about pretty much err, anything.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
All information is on a need to know basis.  I'm not the type of guy to sit and gab with strangers.  If I feel the need to "open up" to people, it's still done on a restricted basis.  I don't chat with the check out counter girl, and I don't make small talk sitting on an airplane.  If you know me, you like me, and we'll talk about whatever comes up, but you've got to earn my trust.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've recently run into two people (at different times) who appeared to be military - either USMC or Army.  I forget what gave me that impression, but me being me, I was immediately interested in what they did.  I asked them both what their MOS was, and they said they couldn't talk about what they did because much of it was classified.  I said 'okay' and left it alone.
Just thought I'd share something that actually made me laugh.  Idiots actually think that somebody buys the line

They can tell you what their MOS is, but sometimes they can't tell you what they do. I was a CTM in the Navy, and I can't talk about anything that I did while I was in, short of saying that I repaired computers and other electronics that dealt with 'sensitive' materials.. SCIF is a pain.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots of people @ work know I shoot MG's on some weekends.  Some are ex-military and they could care less, but a few are shocked.  Ocasionally I get wize crack remarks when something in the the news has guns and criminals.   Fuck em.  I won't be quiet about following one of the 10 amendments.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#18]

I never provide any information... It's always fun to watch people 'assume' they know who you are or what you do, but in reality they don't have a clue...

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't run around blabbing to everyone I meet that I own what may be described as an arsenal
and thousands of rounds of ammunition to go with it.  However I don't deny the fact that I am a gun owner and try my best to defend the 2nd amendment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd tell ya....but then I'd have to kill ya!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Lots of people @ work know I shoot MG's on some weekends.  Some are ex-military and they could care less, but a few are shocked.  Ocasionally I get wize crack remarks when something in the the news has guns and criminals.   Fuck em.  I won't be quiet about following one of the 10 amendments.

My boss Nextel'd me this weekend, while at the range.
Him: "What the fuck is going on"
ME:"Oh, someone is shooting an M16" (I made a point of responding while FA fire was happening)
Him: "Oh. OK."

Now he wants to come shooting next time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I will talk to anyone but I do watch what I say and to who I say it to, there are somthing's folk's don't need to know about me or what I do and places I have been and go, hell my wife doesn't know everything and she know's what she can ask about and what she can't.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I never provide any information... It's always fun to watch people 'assume' they know who you are or what you do, but in reality they don't have a clue...

some people get offended if you wont answer personal questions, they think your hiding something, sometimes they just wont give up until they find out.

I give out as little information as possible, I usually answer with a yes or no or dont answer at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#25]

I can't tell you how many times I have heard from womenz that when they first met me, they thought I was mean, or didn't like them.  That is hardly the case, I am just very tightlipped around anyone I don't know fairly well.  I have a sort of mean sense of humor, so I refrain from using it until I know someone won't be easily offended by me, or upset.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
All information is on a need to know basis.  I'm not the type of guy to sit and gab with strangers.  If I feel the need to "open up" to people, it's still done on a restricted basis.  I don't chat with the check out counter girl, and I don't make small talk sitting on an airplane.  If you know me, you like me, and we'll talk about whatever comes up, but you've got to earn my trust.  

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I am Polite, Courteous, Quiet and Private.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I am pretty open. People see me as a happy go lucky guy so they aren't threatened when I have 2000 rounds of 5.56mm delivered to work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I am pretty open. I don't even care if anyone knows what firearms I own.

I make it a point to let people know (if I'm going to be talking to them again, or seeing them for a total of more than a few hours) that I'm a gun owner. Most people take me to be very responsible, and it creates a good impression in their minds. Same thing with being a conservative, which people can usually figure out on their own. If we are talking about something intelligent but apolitical, they are almost universally surprised to learn it after the fact.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I make it a point to let people know (if I'm going to be talking to them again, or seeing them for a total of more than a few hours) that I'm a gun owner. Most people take me to be very responsible, and it creates a good impression in their minds. Same thing with being a conservative, which people can usually figure out on their own. If we are talking about something intelligent but apolitical, they are almost universally surprised to learn it after the fact.

We do know you are a cheap bastard.

I dunno how you know that (I'm sure it can't be too hard to pick up), but you would be correct. Money doesn't grow on trees.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We do know you are a cheap bastard.

I dunno how you know that (I'm sure it can't be too hard to pick up), but you would be correct. Money doesn't grow on trees.

Watch your burgers...  gonna get a nice goober suprise.

Why do you say that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#36]

You're killing me DigDug!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I have 50 rifles no guns and I think the government is going to make us all slaves
going to take care of us and has our worst fears at heart best interest in mind.

No problem here letting you know what I think

GM
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Sniper_Wolfe,

Do you ever wonder why you get crappy service when you go out to eat?

I don't. If you meant cheap bastard as far as tips, I leave what's deserved. Usually ranging from $0-4.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sniper_Wolfe,

I don't. If you meant cheap bastard as far as tips, I leave what's deserved. Usually ranging from $0-4.

Cheap bastard.

Edit:  Maybe if you kicked a few more dollars out, you could afford some friends that wouldn't rat you out on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I have 50 rifles no guns and I think the government is going to make us all slaves
going to take care of us and has our worst fears at heart best interest in mind.

No problem here letting you know what I think

GM

hehe
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sniper_Wolfe,

Cheap bastard.

Edit:  Maybe if you kicked a few more dollars out, you could afford some friends that wouldn't rat you out on the internet.

That isn't cheap...and read my reply to the thread. There's more to it.

When I eat out, it usually costs me about $10. That's not being cheap, I usually leave $2, and it goes up or down from there depending upon service.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Low and Slow unless you are someone I truly Know....

MT
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't ask. Go away. Mind your own business.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I have no past, present or future knowledge of anything!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Once people see me talking to my food, they rarely want to know more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top