Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 5:45:06 PM EDT

U.S. Near Seizing bin Laden, Official Says

Sep 4, 4:58 PM (ET)

By MATTHEW PENNINGTON

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) - The United States and its allies have moved closer to capturing Osama bin Laden in the last two months, a top U.S. counterterrorism official said in a television interview broadcast Saturday.

"If he has a watch, he should be looking at it because the clock is ticking. He will be caught," Joseph Cofer Black, the U.S. State Department coordinator for counterterrorism, told private Geo television network.

Asked if concrete progress had been made during the last two months - when Pakistan has arrested dozens of terror suspects including some key al-Qaida operatives - Black said, "Yes, I would say this."

Black, who briefed a group of Pakistani journalists after talks with officials here Friday, said he could not predict exactly when bin Laden and other top al-Qaida fugitives would be nabbed.

"What I tell people, I would be surprised but not necessarily shocked if we wake up tomorrow and he's been caught along with all his lieutenants. That can happen because of the programs and infrastructure in place," he told Geo.

Bin Laden and his top associate, Ayman al-Zawahri, are believed to be hiding some place along the rugged border between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Officials have divulged no solid intelligence about bin Laden's precise whereabouts, and it's not clear if they have any.

Pakistan is a key ally of the United States in its war on terror, and Black's visit comes weeks after Pakistani security forces captured Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, a Tanzanian wanted for the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in east Africa, and Mohammed Naeem Noor Khan, a Pakistani computer expert allegedly linked to al-Qaida operatives around the world.

The arrests led to a terror warning in the United States, and arrests in Britain and the United Arab Emirates.

Black attended a meeting of the Pakistan-U.S. Joint Working Group on Counterterrorism and Law Enforcement in Islamabad on Thursday and Friday.

During the talks, Pakistan asked U.S. officials for more helicopters, surveillance and communications equipment to help Pakistani forces guard border areas near Afghanistan "more efficiently," a Pakistani official at the talks said.

"We got a positive response from the American officials," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be the icing on the cake!!

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he will pop up right before the election to help GWB with that landslide.
Rumor has it that the CIA has him in custody already and makes him works 18 hrs a day as a sausage taster
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
But what about Bert?

Aviator

I believe Bert has been brainwashed and should not be held accountable for his recent actions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't care when he IS or WAS caught, I just want his capture to allow a GWB landslide.  DUh is already freaking out about it.  If it occurs, the election is ours!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
[DU] Bush has had him in custody for a long time, going to announce his "capture" to boost his campaign in October. [/DU]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
God that would be beautiful.  I hope for it every day...I turn on the puter in the morning hoping Fox News will come up on my internet browser with the headline: "Osama caught!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I Still say he is dead. No dated video in how long + how many tons of bombs in how many caves?

Audio counts as much as last weeks Tupac songs. Zero.

OBL will never be found.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#9]
how hard can it be to track this guy down?

with the technology today he should have been caught no less than 2 months after 91101.

im always hearing about how our satelites and spyplanes have such good optics that they can read dates off pennies....and they cant find a tall goofy lookin bastard somewhere in afgahnistan?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
how hard can it be to track this guy down?

with the technology today he should have been caught no less than 2 months after 91101.

im always hearing about how our satelites and spyplanes have such good optics that they can read dates off pennies....and they cant find a tall goofy lookin bastard somewhere in afgahnistan?

Spy satellites can't watch everywhere at once.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#11]
He will never be found.  He will continue to elude authorities for years to come.
Bert, that is.  

The noose is closing around OBL's neck.  At least I hope it is.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I Still say he is dead. No dated video in how long + how many tons of bombs in how many caves?

OBL will never be found.

I tend to agree with you...I think OBL has been dead for over two years now...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah.. we can see thigns well... if we know where to look... its knowing what rock in asia we have to look under..... or if hes smart, what slum in LA
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't know about you, but I'm hoping he's KILLED.

The last thing I want is for him to escape because 'capture' was attempted...

I'd hope that anyone who gets a shot at him pulls the trigger...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I want him alive so we can show the world what we did.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Weren't we "close to catching him" a few months ago?  ..and a few months before that?  and a few months before that?, etc...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OBL will never be found.

I tend to agree with you...I think OBL has been dead for over two years now...

He is buried in the enzone of Giants stadium.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
[DU] Bush has had him in custody for a long time, going to announce his "capture" to boost his campaign in October. [/DU]

+1

I sooo hope this is true...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I turn on the puter in the morning hoping Fox News will come up on my internet browser with the headline: "Osama caught!"
same here
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

He is buried in the enzone of Giants stadium.

At least he's in good company.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm getting my car battery cables and my pig entrails all lined up and ready to go!If/when osama ( he doesn't deserve a capitol letter)is caught , would this keep him from getting his virgins?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#26]

No way could that be kept secret. Too many people would know.

That dude who was bombing abortion clinincs hid in a state forest in the SE for a couple of years and they could not find him with Sp and FBI crawling all over. What makes you think they can find one man in the mountains?
+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I think oasama will be found in Iowa, yes Iowa.  Just look for a new fence built with concertina wire around one of those huge pig farms.  Every morning before his interogation session there is one pig house that the skid steer loader doesn't pick the pig shit up from.  This is where osama is shoveling pig shit before sitting down to a big bowl of chorizo for breakfast.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#28]
What's the point of announcing we are "close to capturing" anyone? I see no upside to such a statement, and a considerable downside if they do not produce. Always underpromise and overdeliver, not the other way 'round.

or maybe I'm missing something...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What's the point of announcing we are "close to capturing" anyone? I see no upside to such a statement, and a considerable downside if they do not produce. Always underpromise and overdeliver, not the other way 'round.

I agree

Maybe ole' Cofer knows more than he's letting on.
I also keep an eye on the news praying for "BREAKING NEWS: Today, OBL was....."
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The only reason that is viable that I can come up with is, by announcing that, you may make the target do something dumb, get them to zig instead of zag, and thusly, exposing themselves.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Weren't we "close to catching him" a few months ago?  ..and a few months before that?  and a few months before that?, etc...

+1 If we were close to getting him I doubt we would be announcing it. They might be saying this to make him  move around.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I think it's more for local consumption of the Paki press, and other regional reasons.  It's mainly to shore up Musharraf's power than anything else.  He's taking political heat for going into the tribal areas, and he's taking terrorist heat directly from AQ trying to get him out because of it.  The USA standing behind him gives him support to disuade any of his underlings from trying a coup, and boosts his political power within the country because it means he has a direct line to the USA's wallet.  

The State Department guy is just using OBL as the boogie man.  Making noise like we're actually getting somewhere in catching him is the same as saying we're happy with Musharraf.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top