Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2001 12:12:11 AM EDT
Will this affect the importation of our beloved pistols from the German speaking nations of Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. It would really suck if somehow these countries were no longer able or willing to export their pistols the the United States. If the the UN is bent on getting rid of private guns in the US would they not start with stopping the export of weapons from Europe. I'd better think about getting another USP if this might happen.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 3:08:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Matt, this has been a concern to me.  Everyone says not to worry, the Senate would never ratify it.  First, I don't believe that.  Unless we strong arm them, they might.  Especially since the shift in power.  But other countries might go along with this and we will have  a de facto partial embargo.  Since we have allowed so many firearms comapanies to fall into foreign hands, it might be a problem.  Tarus, Baretta, Glock, Sig, HK,... atleast Smith&Wesson is no longer British and most of our long guns are made here by US companies.

The biggest problem with the UN thing is that the US is the obvious target.  Even if the US does not go along with it, the move is designed to make us look like the bad guy and the gun nuts and turn world opinion against us.  This will give the antis more leverage legislatively.

The good news is that the conference was originally planned for Switzerland and the Swiss told them they couldn't have it there!
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 3:35:20 AM EDT
[#2]
HK, SigArms, Beretta and Glock produce their weapons also in the U.S. I think that most of the European Weapons you Americans use are made in the U.S. because THAT is the market for small arms.

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
As far as I know Glock does not manufacture their pistols here in the US. I live about 5 miles from Glock Factory here in Atlanta. From people I know that have worked their they only assemble them there. The pistols are brought to the US in pieces. As for HK my USPs say made in Germany. I don't think they are made here either the have the inspection seal of approval on them which is the Stag Horn on slide.I believe this conference could potentialy be used against importing of weapons for sale to the United States.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
But I thought the UN was a great organization.

They don't want to take guns from the hands of US citizens...

Yeah right.

I hope this is a wake up call to all the folks here who have been defending the 'blue helmets' lately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top