Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2004 4:12:06 PM EDT
More rantings from our friends at VPC.  "UZI Triangle"? Hey, wait a minute, I kind of like it!  I wonder if my proberty values are going to go up now?

www.commondreams.org/news2004/0825-07.htm

Arizona, Nevada, and Utah Comprise the "UZI Triangle" of Copycat Assault Weapon Manufacturers, According to Violence Policy Center  

WASHINGTON - August 25 - The three contiguous states of Arizona, Nevada, and Utah have the largest number of "post-ban" copycat assault weapon manufacturers of any region of the United States, the Violence Policy Center revealed today.

The region contains 10 assault weapon manufacturers (see chart below) with a combined product line that includes post-ban AR-15s, AK-47s, UZIs, and others. The product lines of these 10 companies—located in a region the VPC has labeled the "UZI Triangle"—are yet another example of how the gun industry has successfully evaded the current federal ban by making insignificant, mostly cosmetic, changes in the design of banned assault weapons and then marketing them as "post-ban" guns. The changes can be as slight as simply removing a flash suppressor from the end of the barrel of an assault rifle and replacing it with a muzzle brake (two components that look almost identical, but perform different functions) or adding a fixed stock. The 1994 ban will expire on September 13, 2004, without action by Congress and President Bush.

State : Arizona

American Spirit Arms, Corp., Scottsdale / Arizona Expert Arms, Gilbert / Bobcat Weapons Inc,. Mesa / Cavalry Arms Corp., Mesa / Tactical Weapons Training Academy, Mesa

State : Nevada

Armscor Precision Inc., Las Vegas / Arsenal Inc., Las Vegas /

State : Utah

L.A.R. Manufacturing, Inc., West Jordan / Robinson Armament Company, Salt Lake City / Vector Arms, Inc., North Salt Lake

As Gun World magazine boasted in a 2001 article about the Vepr II assault rifle, a "sporterized" version of the AK-47: "In spite of assault rifle bans, bans on high capacity magazines, the rantings of the anti-gun media and the rifle's innate political incorrectness, the Kalashnikov [AK-47], in various forms and guises, has flourished. Today there are probably more models, accessories and parts to choose from than ever before."

Josh Sugarmann, VPC executive director, states, "Gunmakers have cynically eviscerated the 1994 federal assault weapons ban. For the assault weapons ban to work, it must be strengthened. For those who fear that if the ban expires there will be a flood of AK-47s and UZIs on our streets, the sad truth is that we're already drowning."

The July 2004 VPC study United States of Assault Weapons: Gunmakers Evading the Federal Assault Weapons Ban revealed that more than 40 gunmakers in 22 states are currently marketing "post-ban" assault weapons. The study also estimates that more than one million "post-ban" assault weapons have been manufactured in the United States since the ban's passage in 1994 and warns that today "there are more assault weapon manufacturers and assault weapons available for sale than ever before." The study proves that if the 1994 ban is simply renewed, and not strengthened, every single one of the assault weapons made by these companies will remain on the market, legal for sale to the American public under federal law.

In addition to the threat assault weapons pose to the general public, they continue to pose a unique threat to law enforcement personnel. The May 2003 Violence Policy Center study "Officer Down"—Assault Weapons and the War on Law Enforcement revealed that, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation data, one in five law enforcement officers (41 of 211) slain in the line of duty from January 1998 through December 2001 were slain with an assault weapon, many of which were "post-ban" models that will remain untouched by a renewal of current law.

Federal legislation to address the industry's subversion of the 1994 ban—the "Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003" (H.R. 2038 and S. 1431)— has been introduced in the 108th Congress by Representatives Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) and John Conyers (D-MI) in the House of Representatives and Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) in the Senate.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah but according to them the Land of Lincoln is THE home of post ban assault weapons.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yeah but according to them the Land of Lincoln is THE home of post ban assault weapons.

CRC

Jealous?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...Today there are probably more models, accessories and parts to choose from than ever before...For those who fear that if the ban expires there will be a flood of AK-47s and UZIs on our streets, the sad truth is that we're already drowning."

I believe the above statement, that there are more than ever before.  So where is the promised blood-bath?  Why are there FEWER uses of these firearms today than in the past?

VPC's whole argument is provably wrong!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope. I don't live in either.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
theres more then that in Arizona!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that where a flight of Uzi's crashed on a training mission...no wait.....never mind
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cavalry Arms Corp., Mesa / Tactical Weapons Training Academy, Mesa

Garry Owen is famous!!!!!!

Hip Hip.........
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cavalry Arms Corp., Mesa / Tactical Weapons Training Academy, Mesa

Garry Owen is famous!!!!!!

Hip Hip.........

... He's been quite a legend around these parts way before the article surfaced

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey, that's what I call it when my girlfriend gets a yeast infection.
You know, the oozy triangle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
We kick ass of course. But we already knew this
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Uh, BARF!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Let us never speak of this again.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I have always wanted an UZI.  I wish I could find one laying in the street.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope to not get lost in the uzi triangle this weekend
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#15]

the gun industry has successfully evaded the current federal ban by making insignificant, mostly cosmetic, changes in the design of banned assault weapons and then marketing them as "post-ban" guns.

And they're being 100% legal, aren't they Mr. Guns-R-Bad, huh?

Hey, come to think about it, your Assault Weapon ban was just that - "insignificant, mostly cosmetic, changes in the design" now wasn't it?

Idiot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I do not live in the Uzi triangle, however I live 10 miles from a large machine gun manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#17]
lots of ice cream trucks in your neighborhood?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw no mention of McUzi....
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Arizona is also home of the Mini-Gun.   Thanks to  the Dillion Aero.

We also buy a shit load of Tannerite here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Does that mean that any wayward UZI's that stray into this triangle, never leave?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

that report looks more like a shopping list hell it even has everyones contact info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top