Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 7:41:21 PM EDT
www.catnews.com/nav.asp?id=978

The sweet taste of crappuccino

A Canadian scientist claims to have proven that the world's most expensive coffee really does taste better because the beans it is produced from have been eaten and defecated by a wild cat.

The Montreal Gazette says Massimo Marcone used taste machines and humans to establish that there really is a difference in taste between Kopi Luwak beans that have and have not passed through a civet cat's digestive system.

The Ethiopian beans, which sell for more than 250 pounds per pound, are craved by coffee fanatics around the world who will often pay more than R65 for a cup of the coffee they produce.

Marcone travelled to Ethiopia to track down the beans where they are found in single lines of faeces in the wild.

"You're looking for a cappuccino. You could get a crappuccino," the University of Guelph professor said.

He says they taste better because digestion breaks down protein, and protein makes the non-digested beans bitter.

He insists there is no health risk in drinking coffee from the digested beans, as there is very little bacteria left on the beans once they are washed, and roasting destroys the rest.

His findings will be published in the Food Research International Journal in September. - Ananova.com

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought it was another animal that pooped the "good" beans
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#2]
fucking YUCK
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
coming soon to one of the ten starbucks near you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#4]
And you thought cats were useless.

Does it matter which end of the digestive tract the beans are extricated from?  I mean if crappuccino doesn't appeal, perhaps a grandé vomité would be more palatable than a venti "venté."
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Better to burp it and taste it than to fart it and waste it
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I reember hearing about that a few years back.  Who in the hell would drink it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
better question was who tried it first "hmm, coffee beans shitted by a cat, wonder what it tastes like"
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to the last dropping . . .
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
better question was who tried it first "hmm, coffee beans shitted by a cat, wonder what it tastes like"

i've thought that about alot of foods. Kim Chi for example.  "hey let's go bury some cabbage until it rots then eat it, and afterwards we'll smell like ass"
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Cheese "lets eat rotten milk that smells like barfed toejam"
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I think Dave Barry did a piece on that like, five or six years ago.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I've heard these beans produce some of the finest coffee.  I need some
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top