Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2001 8:29:24 AM EDT
This is exactly the type of sheeple that the govt will rely upon to turn YOU in for owning guns.

[url]www.contracostatimes.com/community/stories/sjlasertag_20010527.htm[/url]

Woman scared, upset by youths' laser tag

Mountain View teacher who stumbled upon kids with guns says police did not take
                      situation seriously

By Chuck Carroll
                      SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS

SAN JOSE -- It was well after dark on a Saturday when Nina Maiden drove into the parking lot at Landels
                      Elementary School in Mountain View to visit a friend across the street.

Her headlights caught a figure in fatigues and a ski mask, carrying what looked like an automatic weapon. Standing
                      between two parked cars, the man turned her way.

Her first thought was to ram a parked car to try to pin him, so at least police would catch her killer.

"All I saw was army fatigues, a ski mask and a gun," said Maiden, a first-grade teacher. "If I was a cop, I would have
                      shot."

Trembling, she jammed her car into reverse and drove out of the lot. She reached her friend and they called 911.

Everything was OK, police assured them. Maiden had just stumbled onto a game of laser tag. A dozen
                      neighborhood teen-agers had notified police about 90 minutes earlier that they would be playing at the school.

It certainly didn't look like a game to Maiden, and she believes police should have checked with school officials
                      about the teens' claim that they had permission.

When police did check with Principal Jeffrey Baier the next day, he said he had denied a group permission to play
                      nighttime laser tag at the school last year -- and that no one had permission to play it that night or any other time.

With schools across the country supersensitive to guns and violence, educators are quick to ban anything that
                      resembles a weapon from the schoolyard.

A month later, Maiden still demands a letter of apology from the teens and threatens to show up before Mountain
                      View's City Council dressed in fatigues to protest how police handled the problem.

Maiden said Mountain View police didn't send a patrol officer to talk to the teens until after she called back to
                      demand that something be done. The teen-agers agreed to quit for the night and went home.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#1]
(continued)

She said one officer told her to "chalk it up as an experience." The youths, the officers told her, were good kids,
                      college-bound students who at least had the sense to warn the police that they would be at the school, Maiden
                      said.

Mountain View police spokesman Jim Bennett confirmed the outline of Maiden's story but said police did nothing
                      wrong and took the matter seriously.

"She obviously didn't know if it was a real gun or not," Bennett said. "She did absolutely the right thing to get out of
                      there, call us and let us check it out."

He defended the way the police acted that night. "We had no information to believe that they were there unlawfully,"
                      he said, adding that laser tag gear is not illegal. He said schools -- not the police -- control access to public school
                      property.

But Mountain View School District Superintendent Patricia Bubenik said the school district relies on the police to
                      handle "unauthorized, after-hours" activities because school officials can't keep tabs on the grounds 24 hours a day.

"It's an inappropriate activity for a school campus," she said.

Bennett said police have agreed to ask the boys to write Maiden a letter of apology.

"They need to recognize what they did," Maiden said. "There is a time and a place for laser tag, and after dark in a
                      public place is not the time or place."
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah i remember when i was a kid and was playing war 8 or 9 yrs old. this laddie got all mad because i pointed my orange tipped barrel of my lever action POP gun at her she started yealling and throwing rocks at me... what a way for a grown up to act.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#3]
do stories like this anger anyone else? what else in her opinion is inappropriate for shool-yards? football - because its too violent?

and what if she DOES go in fatigues to protest, and gets shot???
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#4]
"Her first thought was to ram a parked car to try to pin him, so at least police would catch her killer.

Think of the lawsuit if she had ran over one of those kids.

"Her headlights caught a figure in fatigues and a ski mask, carrying what looked like an automatic weapon. Standing
between two parked cars, the man turned her way."

Exactly how does the appearance of an automatic weapon differ for that of a semiautomatic.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#5]
What ever happened to good clean fun.  

These kids could have been out doing drugs or robbing liquor stores if you take these freedoms away.  

GREAT, we can make this lady feel more safe and comfortable while the youth, with excess exuberant energy decide on other ways to get their kicks.  We used to play army and tag and hide and go seek.  Laser tag is all three combined.  

I would rather see kids doing this than having idle time on their hands.  

This lady has a serious problem with her own sense of importance.  

I wish people could be a little more tolerant of freedom.  We keep legislating all of our freedom away.  And this type of person will be the first to complain when that freedom is gone.

Phil

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]

"They need to recognize what they did," Maiden said. "There is a time and a place for laser tag, and after dark in a
                      public place is not the time or place."
View Quote

Stupid whore.  This sounds like the PERFECT time and place to me!  :D
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#8]
That woman needs a dose of testaterone.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What ever happened to good clean fun.  

These kids could have been out doing drugs or robbing liquor stores if you take these freedoms away.  

GREAT, we can make this lady feel more safe and comfortable while the youth, with excess exuberant energy decide on other ways to get their kicks.  We used to play army and tag and hide and go seek.  Laser tag is all three combined.  

I would rather see kids doing this than having idle time on their hands.  

This lady has a serious problem with her own sense of importance.  

I wish people could be a little more tolerant of freedom.  We keep legislating all of our freedom away.  And this type of person will be the first to complain when that freedom is gone.

Phil

View Quote

EXACTLY!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I only wish she had stumbled across terrorists with automatic weapons and "a cause." Then she might understand the dangers of "emotionally driven agendas."
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#11]
She's just mad cuz she wet her pants and now her car smells like urine. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Can you imagine if she followed through on the "run 'em over" plan and the guy had turned out to be a SWAT operator? Ooops.

-Andy

"Can you describe the suspect?" "Um, it was some guy in a hat...."
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#13]
It was well after dark on a Saturday when Nina Maiden drove into the parking lot at Landels
Elementary School in Mountain View to visit a friend across the street.
View Quote

Why did she park in the school lot? I wonder if her "freind" was "another" man? Maybe she had to keep her car out of sight? Hmmmm.... Was she engorged and tingley when she got there? Hm? Hm?
I wonder who made her commit this lustful sin? Could it be Satan? Hm? Hm?

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#14]
She belongs in a nut-house,

instead she's teaching 1st graders WTF!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#15]
If my kid was "caught" playing lazer tag and someone DEMANDED a written apology, they would calmly and politely be told to F**K OFF!!!

Sounds like she might get a drive-by paintball visit.

What would have happened if she had "rammed" the "terrorist"? How would the media handle that? What spin would it recieve?

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#16]
"What would have happened if she had "rammed" the "terrorist"?"

Give the cow some credit...  If it had been someone with a real full auto and she had "pinned" them, they would have found what was left of her right there in the front seat.

Some people watch entirely too much TV.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Operator:

If she had "pinned" them, the media would have reported it as a tragic accident that demonstrates that kids should not have been playing with guns.  The lady's gross over-reaction would have been justified.  The media's own responsibility for scaring the bejeez out of ordinary people so this woman over-reacted would have been ignored.  

If it was my kids (or me) playing laser tag, and this lady demanded an apology, I would demand an apology from her for her gross over reaction.  And the cops are wrong:  This is an appropriate place and time to play.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#18]
i looked up some lazer tag guns and they all have a planet of the apes/buck rogers look to them ..but some uninformed bitch wants to say automatic weapon...just media and move crap...
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Hells Bells...........................I can remember a time when a part of each night before school was deciding which of my many many toy guns would be my piece for the playground war at recess the next day.

Our teachers had their heads out in the open back then instead of stuck up their arses!

Most every kid on the playground was playing war, cops and robbers or cowboys and indians and the teachers kindly and gently watched us fron their porch.

No one was killed, maimed, raped, robbed or otherwise assaulted.

God help us all .....better yet God help our kids cause teachers like this Nina Maiden are gonna be dead set on reprogramming our kids into a PC based nature and philosophy instead of one based on family, values, paymetn for actions and respect and honor for life.

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Nina Maiden = Mall Ninja Maiden [B)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#21]
thats the point they are kids playing i stress playing... at least they wernt tagging or breaking windows or other such vandalism that happens at schools.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#22]
She's mad because the cops didn't take her seriously. It has nothing to do with the game.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#23]
This would have been my letter of apology:

Dear Idiot,

I'm sorry you wet your panties because you're a stupid @$$ hysterical moron.  Take a chill pill and a long walk off a short pier.

Sincerely,
Someone who doesn't give a crap about you.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
                                           Story doesn`t say why Nina Maiden was there "well after dark"....maybe NINA isn`t such a MAIDEN herself!!!the asshole!....[whacko]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#25]
PalmettoArmory, unless you are LEO, you would have been arrested for having a gun on school property.  No where in the article does it say that the youths reacted in a manner to use deadly force.  It stated that she saw "a figure in fatigues and a ski mask, carrying what looked like an automatic weapon. Standing
between two parked cars, the man turned her way."  Does that justify the use of deadly force?

It sounds like she was trespassing after hours just as the kids were.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By black&green:
Quoted:
View Quote
                                           Story doesn`t say why Nina Maiden was there "well after dark"....maybe NINA isn`t such a MAIDEN herself!!!the asshole!....[whacko]
View Quote

What they said.  This self-improtant vaginal orifice is teaching kids!  See what the media can do?  anyone in cammies w/weapon is a bad guy.................
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm thinking if more people wore cammies and carried guns, we would not have problems like this.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#28]
To me, it sounds as if the Kids and the Cops acted like adults.  I think it's great that they notified police of their actions.  This is an example of the control that liberals have in the Media and Education.  They are teaching our children that guns are bad and to hug trees.  If I was the parent of the kid she wanted to pin between the cars I'd make her write and apology to me.  Yes, the kids should have probably taken the game else where but if this is and inner city school there's probably not a lot of room to do so.  If you give kids a place to go and tell them that you can only play lazer tag, paintball, or what ever in that area guess what?  That's where they will go.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#31]
"All I saw was army fatigues, a ski mask and a gun," said Maiden, a first-grade teacher. "If I was a cop, I would have      shot."
View Quote

[whacko]

Rick
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Freaking liberal idiots!! and they call us stupid?!?! School property is the perfect place to play it. It is usually unused, and has open areas and good hiding areas. At least the kids notified the cops. Idiot liberals, scared of everything
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I think Nina Maiden deserves an apology so I'm sorry you are a stupid busy body. You should grow up or go back to your mother.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This would have been my letter of apology:

Dear Idiot,

I'm sorry you wet your panties because you're a stupid @$$ hysterical moron.  Take a chill pill and a long walk off a short pier.

Sincerely,
Someone who doesn't give a crap about you.
View Quote

OMG, this is the perfect response for SO MANY situations in my life. Copy/Paste/Send. Thank you so very much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#35]
No wonder Nina's a "Maiden", I mean who would want to do a hysterical nutjob like her? My letter of apology would go something like "Dear Skank, sorry you've never been laid, buy a vibrator, and get a life, and stop making trouble for everyone else...I'm really sorry that I didn't have an automatic weapon and use you for target practice, but, oh well, that's the breaks, btw, eat shit and die. Sincerely, etc"
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Please,please someone post her Email, name, address.....
something so I can tell her what I think of her.
[size=6]PLEASE[/size=6]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
(continued)
She said one officer told her to "chalk it up as an experience." The youths, the officers told her, were good kids, college-bound students [b]who at least had the sense to warn the police that they would be at the school[/b], Maiden said.
View Quote

Damn, now you have to notify police when you want to play ?

"It's an inappropriate activity for a school campus," she said.

Bennett said police have agreed to ask the boys to write Maiden a letter of apology.

"They need to recognize what they did," Maiden said. "There is a time and a place for laser tag, and after dark in a public place is not the time or place."
View Quote

Didn't notice that she's a lawmaker or public official.  So the question is .... who died and put her in charge [-!-!-]?

Chris
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#38]
"all your kids are belong to us"

unoriginal lib
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#39]
paranoid fool, if they were real terrorists they wouldn't be at a school, and not with what "appeares" to be an automatic weapon. (ive done lazer tag and they dont even look like any real firearm i have ever seen)

not to mention that they would have left no witneses.. thats a terrorist.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I wouldn't want someone so prone to hysterics teaching my child.

Obviously her overreation could have placed the teenagers and the neighborhood in grave danger, had the teenagers not wisely anticipated that someone with poorly developed judgement might try to get the SWAT team to come out.  

It sounds more like she was acting-out from some deep-rooted bias against firearms or anything resembling them.

My recommendation is that she be given counseling to determine just where this irrational behavior is coming from, and to cure it if at all possible.   The counseling should perhaps extend to a home visit to see if she possesses any material that would encourage the violation of any Constitutional rights.

Perhaps Ms. Maiden has had some difficulty adjusting in a society that retains indiviual liberties.

Give her a time-out!!

Teachers are supposed to be exemplars of age-appropriate behavior and instill that chestnut of child development in their students.  In this case, it may be that she absorbed some child-like qualities from her pupils.

Based on her own statement that if she had been a cop, she would have shot, I certainly hope she does not apply for a career in law enforcement.  

If her first thought truly was to try to pin the young man by ramming a parked car against him, (so the police could 'catch her killer'), she might need to demonstrate (to the driver's licensing people) better sense in the handling of a dangerous vehicle, so that she doesn't harm other motorists or pedestrians based on her misperceptions and proclivity for overreaction.

On the other hand, there might be a future for her in the world of Gecko45...........

[red][size=4]P.R.K.

Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#41]
LOL

This story makes me think of a quote.

"So many assholes, so few bullets."

Who said it?
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:38:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think the vast majority of you guys are being way too hard on the poor woman.

Ranging from calling her really nasty names to veiled suggestions of her lack of morals, I think you are missing her perspective.

If you were an elementary school teacher, who's probably worried about school shooting every day (since it's become so much more common and gotten so much meadia frenzy attention) how would EXPECT her to react to come across a mall-ninja look-alike on school property?

She probably has no idea how to tell the difference between a laser-tag gun and a real one.  What would we be saying about her if it had been some psycho Columbine wannebe who was practicing for the glorious massacre he was going to carry out the next morning?  We'd be saying she should have run him down.

My only problem with her is the "demanding an apology" part of the story, but I don't blame her for being surprised and frightened at the actual event - seen from her perspective.  I see her as being whiny after the fact, but don't consider her this hysterical fool that so many of you seem to think.

It was an unfortunate accidental run-in, and everyone was lucky that no-one got hurt.  If this happened to one of you that carries, or to your wife, how many can be absolutely sure that someone might not have been accidentally shot?
View Quote

I see you've fallen for the media hype also.  School violence is at an all time low.  Media coverage on the other hand is at an all time high.  This lady has definite problems.  The fact that she contemplated ramming the kids with her car just shows that she is not totally rational.  The more I read this story the madder I get.  This lady is exactly what is wrong with this country and she is teaching our kids.  God help us all.

Aggie1
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#45]
>>I think the vast majority of you guys are being way too hard on the poor woman.
Ranging from calling her really nasty names to veiled suggestions of her lack of morals, I think you are missing her perspective.<<
Well put, DK.  It is no wonder that so many Americans consider gun owners nuts and whackos.  A lady is scared.  She is legitimately scared.  And instead of suggesting we alleviate her fears, everybody wants to insult her, call her names, make all sorts of assumptions, and so on.  Instead of attacking her, why not make something like this a learning moment?  Something like this happens we need to use it to our advantage.  Explain the game to the media.  Every time we have had complaints about guns here, I try to get the media involved.  People complain about CCW?  We invited a press reporter and a TV reporter to take the next class, free of charge.  They took us up on it, and we got great press (Both were female, BTW).  Same thing with IDPA shooting.  Some argued about how it was training to kill, we brought the press out to the range, let the reporter go throguh a few stages, etc.  In thi ssituation, sure, apologize to the lady for scaring her--it is always good to be polite and and it lets you take the high ground.  Explain the game to the public, emphasizing things like teamwork, strategy, etc.  Instead of attacking every time, start looking at it from the other side and find ways to show people that the viewpoint of th eantigun crowd is wrong.  Calling people names and insulting them helps to support the view of gun owners as radical rednecks.  Don't help the bad guys.

Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think the vast majority of you guys are being way too hard on the poor woman.

Ranging from calling her really nasty names to veiled suggestions of her lack of morals, I think you are missing her perspective.......
View Quote

DK Prof, I think you are being way too willing to believe in the automatic virtue of groupthink in school teachers (wait, that's not PC, they now have semantic control and label themselves "educators").

This stereotypical view is a disfavor to those teachers who are willing to buck the trends and speak their independent minds.  Perhaps you have experienced this in your work, too.

To the contrary, I think the "problem" (if you could really call it that) is that the vast majority of 'we guys' have an all too accurate assessment of her "perspective".

The question of what SHE was doing there is a legitimate one.  She was not there to grade papers, by her own words, so the fellas had as much right to be there as did she, and they  were not trespassing.

Contrary to the superintendent's statement, the police are in no position to believe that someone on school grounds is trespassing, given the long, country-wide tradition of young people using school grounds for sport and recreation after school is over.  It takes a complaint from the school people, doesn't it?  Or at least verifiable evidence at hand that that the "violators" are there in violation of a regularly enforced policy.

Notice the superindent's overreaching:  She said it was inappropriate to play laser tag NOT just on [b]school ground[/b], but [b]in a public place[/b] that would exclude parks, and perhaps even private property that the public has access to. Like mall parking lots, or even the local lazerium.  

In fact, the circumstances of Miss Maiden's visit is a legitimate line of inquiry that should be explored. I'd question whether the "friend" had phoned her about the laser tag and asked her to come over.  Also whether she had other prior knowledge of this activity.  And disapproved.  You take it from there.  I'm not saying that she concocted the confrontation, but i can't exclude that possibility, either.

When I said maybe she had a future in Gecko45's Mall Ninja world, it seemed a good match (not talking about the teens, but her):  

She and Geck-san are both overblown, both are victims of their own fertile imaginations, seeing threats that exist only in their own minds, and prone to over-reaction and the inappropriate use of force.

Not to mention her use of the media to further her agenda.  You don't really think the reporter just happened on the scene, do you?
No - he or perhaps an editor was brought the story by someone, and I'd bet that someone is connected with the school.

[red][size=5]P.R.K.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#47]
This pathtic excuse for an educated adult should not be teaching kids just for the fact that she is so inclined to overreact and get somone hurt BAD. Why in the hell would she even consider "pinning them with her car"? Or "If I were a policeman I would have shot him". What the hell did they do to deserve either? Stupid idiot probaly isn't qualified to be a Wal-Mart greeter. If it wasn't for tenure she probably would be selling vacum cleaners, and she would have to give up her SUV, cell phone, Fake nails, fake implants, and her latest issue of Cosmopolitan.
You people who want to take her side, please go take a Midol and call the doctor right away, I think you have gotten in touch with your feminie side WAY too much.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#48]
All I got 2 say is,if you think this mad cow did anything right,go be a liberal,cuz you'r not helping our cause.

[-!-][-!-!-][-!-]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I get really tired of dealing with people like that woman.  Okay, I can see her being startled, scared, etc. at the time of the incident.  However, it's when everything has been explained to her and she demands that the cops make everyone else play by her rules is where she loses me.  I don't know how many goddamn calls I've taken where the complainant doesn't like what someone else is doing and wants the police to put a stop to it, even though it's not illegal.  When I tell them there has not been a crime committed, they say 'can't you just go talk to them and ask them to stop?'.  Let's see- I just told you that the behavior you find upsetting isn't illegal, and now you want me to go over and use the color of my authority to try and get them to stop anyway, just because you don't agree with what they're doing?  Ahh, I don't think so.  People have forgotten that they don't have a constitutional right to not be offended or have others not do anything that they don't agree with, and they like to use the police as a club to try and make everyone else do things their way.  I'm bloody sick of it.  Life is risky, get over it.  Not everyone thinks the way you do- get over that, too.  I've gotten more IA complaints for refusing to be someone's personal Gestapo agent than I ever have for things like excessive use of force.

Okay, rant mode off!

Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#50]
All I got 2 say is,if you think this mad cow did anything right,go be a liberal,cuz you'r not helping our cause.
View Quote

Right On, 007!!She obviously had "Mad Cow" disease....fuckerwhereshebreathes.....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top