Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2001 3:15:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
howzabout seeing who else posted from the same ip or subnet? he knew the board code for anims and how to post pics right off the bat, was and probably still is a "normal" user.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
GoatBoy,
Thanks for the info and keep up the good work!
Sportsman's Supply
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote from GoatBoy -

..public forums are open to morons...
View Quote

Yes, and on behalf of all morons on the board, I wish to thank you.

Eric The Hun[>]:)]  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I am damn innocent.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
People really have no idea just how much information they present every time they send an email, or even just visit a web site.  

I managed to find his address and phone number. ;) (I have done security work for the seattle police before on a contract basis.)

What do ya' rekon, if each of the 10,000 members prank call him once....

Now should I use this information for good or for evil?

Godspeed
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I managed to find his address and phone number. ;)
View Quote

I call bullshit, unless there were some really dumb people working the support desk at the ISP, bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Godspeed -

I vote [size=5]EVIL[/size=5]

But, hey, that's just me.[}:D]

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
BTW Gary, don't waste your time calling Exodus. I have dealt with them in the past and they are H-U-G-E they are likely to have no time for a complaint such as yours.  Also troll didn't even break any laws.  I had a hell of a time getting ANYTHING out of them when I was tracking down a felon!

Godspeed
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Lets have the name please. I think we can get him back at his own game
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I managed to find his address and phone number. ;)
View Quote

I call bullshit, unless there were some really dumb people working the support desk at the ISP, bullshit.
View Quote

Okay call bullshit if you like.  You'll have to pick up all the cards though.  BTW I didn't call Exedous, there are much easier and more direct ways of finding out who you are on the great anonomyous internet.

I have offered his details to Gary through email; as fun as it would be to post it here I don't think that is the best of ideas.  

Godspeed
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Check your mail Gary.  May Gary have mercy on his soul.  ;)

Godspeed
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Okay call bullshit if you like.  You'll have to pick up all the cards though.  BTW I didn't call Exedous, there are much easier and more direct ways of finding out who you are on the great anonomyous internet.
View Quote

Only much more easier way would be getting into his hard drive via some unsecured server known or unknown trojan server or os file sharing and hoping you can find a file with his personal info in it, but couldn't be the case since the offending ip was non-responding at the time of goatboys post.

Or if he had some domain name or custom 3rd party dns entry pointing to that ip, contacting that company assuming they actually had his name and address (some are anon and free) that would be the only possible way, unless you knew him (i.e. you're trading with someone in the for-sale forums who gave you a name and address and you noticed the x-sender of that mail was the same ip, but thats not exactly the type of skills you'd pick up in "security" work, it'd be more the type of skills you'd pick up in a high-schooll pc class) but I'm doubting it, I'm sticking with bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#16]
or you can put your money where your fingers are...whats my name? 208.191.73.39
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]
and a pic to prove thats really my ip.

[img]http://militanthippy.merseine.nu/yugos1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Only much more easier way would be getting into his hard drive via some unsecured server known or unknown trojan server or os file sharing and hoping you can find a file with his personal info in it, but couldn't be the case since the offending ip was non-responding at the time of goatboys post.

Or if he had some domain name or custom 3rd party dns entry pointing to that ip, contacting that company assuming they actually had his name and address (some are anon and free) that would be the only possible way, unless you knew him (i.e. you're trading with someone in the for-sale forums who gave you a name and address and you noticed the x-sender of that mail was the same ip, but thats not exactly the type of skills you'd pick up in "security" work, it'd be more the type of skills you'd pick up in a high-schooll pc class) but I'm doubting it, I'm sticking with bullshit.
View Quote

Okay, y'all can stick with bullshit.  Funny how you have listed "all" the possible ways to figure someone's info out.  I think you missed a couple.  

Ever done security work yourself?  Didn't think so.

Without gettting too indepth here do you know what an ICMP packet is?  Well it is the bit of info used to keep track of where a packet is going and is what is used to trace an IP.  A server CAN be responding just fine, but also be set up to deny, or ignore ICMP packets.  

Try pinging www.microsoft.com and you'll see what I mean.  One reply and then it times out.  Oddly enough their web site is still up though.  Hmmmmmm......

Godspeed

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool, I'll give it a try.  BTW what the heck is that picture of?  

Godspeed
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Godspeed
View Quote

and I'm not even denying echo requests, ought to make it easy for a l.e. type like yourself.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Godspeed
View Quote

and I'm not even denying echo requests, ought to make it easy for a l.e. type like yourself.
View Quote

:)  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#24]
It was a pic of yogoslavs uprising militantly, but I think its gone now...you still see it?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, I leave the forum for a couple hours to grab a bite to eat and a few Z's and I miss something?? There must be another thread that fills in what this "Trouble Maker" did..

Rick
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#27]
and I'm not even denying echo requests, ought to make it easy for a l.e. type like yourself.[/quote]

:)  [/quote]

For the record I am not in any part of Law Enforcement.  I was contracted by a seattle poliece dept to help find internet stalkers a while back.

ERICKM Check your mail, I didn't want to post your name, number, address or SSN here.

Godspeed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top