Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2001 11:59:46 AM EDT
I am looking for hi-cap mags for the .40 P99.

I found some on gunbroker.com which were contracted by Walther from Mec-Gar.

Capacity is the std. 12 and price is $90/ea.

These have both the Walther logo and the Mec-Gar logo on the mag bodies.

Does anyone know which companies Walther contracted through and whether or not some are good and some others of inferior quality?

I have never used Mec-Gar but seem to recall that they don't have one of the best reputations for quality and reliability.

Help please.............[whacko]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
X-Kill, you might have that backward.  Mec-Gar makes some of the finest aftermarket mags around.  They also make factory mags for Sig, Walther, and others.  As a matter of fact, I don't think there is anyone out there making mags for the P99 other than Mec-Gar (the mag will have the Walther Logo on it).

Generally stay away from USA and Promag.  As for $90, that's pretty cheap.  Most are selling for $125 because they are somewhat rare.  Personally I can't see paying that much for 2 more rounds, but that's me.  Hope this helps!

-Red-
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The Walther factory mags, both 9mm and .40 auto are made by Mec-Gar. The mags that come with the gun in the box say Mec-Gar on the mag body (at least all I have seen). If it isn't a Mec-Gar, you don't want it. You can't buy a better mag than Mec-Gar.

I have seen some offered for $75.

[green]Try the AR15 Equipment Exchange[/green]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=25919#lastPost[/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]
12 rounds is hi-cap? I wouldn't pay more than 10 bucks for the difference between the standard 10 and 12. If you can shoot worth a  damn, and don't expect to be in a situtation like the Alamo or Firebase Gloria, what's an extra 2 rounds between reloads worth? Not much IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Guys.

Sorry about the mix up on Mec Gar.

In all my years of mags I have never used a Mec-Gar.

I spoke with Walther and was assured that Mec-Gar quality is second to none.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Generally stay away from USA and Promag.  -Red-
View Quote

I have some Pro-mag Sig 228/229 mags that works like a champ.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
12 rounds is hi-cap? I wouldn't pay more than 10 bucks for the difference between the standard 10 and 12. If you can shoot worth a  damn, and don't expect to be in a situtation like the Alamo or Firebase Gloria, what's an extra 2 rounds between reloads worth? Not much IMHO.
View Quote

What is worse than that is the fact that I used to own a Beretta 96D that was an OHP gun and came with high-cap mags....they held 11 rounds and the non-highcap mags held 10....go figure!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
12 rounds is hi-cap?
View Quote

As you know, anything over 10 rounds is a hi-cap.  That makes them worth $100. Silly isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd be [b]REALLY[/b] careful if you decide to buy high caps for the P99 .40.  Keep in mind that the development of the P99 in 9mm did not even begin untill 1994.  And the .40 was developed after the 9.  While there [b]are[/b] some (very few) pre-ban 9mm hi-caps out there, where do you suppose the pre-(1994)ban .40 mags came from?

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya know, I was studying on my standard 10 round .40 MecGar mags, and it seems to me that the only thing keeping me from putting more rounds in is the indentation on both sides of the mag at the bottom. What if....I spent some time machining a piece of steel that would just fit into the bottom of the mag body, and then gave it a good whack with a 5 pound hammer and straightened it out? How many rounds would fit then? Anyone tried it? Anyone have a better solution than time with a micrometer and lathe?
Enquiring minds want to know.....
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top