Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2001 11:30:23 PM EDT
I've got an M4 upper and would like to add a suppressor. Questions....

Who makes the smallest one?
Who makes the Cheapest one?
Who makes the best one?

What are the mounting options?
Will I have to remove my flash suppressor?
Is there a mounting option which is fairly quick?
Is there a mounting option which will allow the flash suppressor to remain on the gun?

Thanks everyone for all the help you have provided!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they make suppressors that quickly snap on over the flash suppressor.

Try these guys: [url]http://www.american-manufacture.com/[/url]

Looks like they sell a good product for about $300.

Note that I don't have any first hand experience with this stuff. This is all just stuff I've gathered from hanging around this bulletin board
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:11:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Cheapest isn't usually the best and why pay for a cheap product when you have a 200 dollar tax on top?

I'm thinking of getting the [b]Gemtech M4-96D quick detatch supressor[/b]  They run about 750.00

O.A. Length 7.75 inch (197 mm)
Diameter 1.5 inch (38 mm)
Weight    24.7 ounces (700 gm)
Degree of Suppression 32+ dB

drfcolt has one and here is his review on it.
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=23550#lastPost[/url]

[url]www.gem-tech.com/m4-96d.html[/url]

[img]www.gem-tech.com/Images/m496d-1L.jpg[/img]

I think someone else on the board posted yesterday about a Titanium supressor, but it ran over 1,000 dollars.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sgt 884:
Who makes the smallest one?
Who makes the Cheapest one?
Who makes the best one?
View Quote

STW makes the best one IMHO- one out of three ain't bad . . . [URL]http://www.stwibs.com[/URL]

What are the mounting options?
Will I have to remove my flash suppressor?
Is there a mounting option which is fairly quick?
Is there a mounting option which will allow the flash suppressor to remain on the gun
View Quote

The STW titanium suppressor is a quick detach but you must locktight thier own three-lug flash suppressor on your upper.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:30:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, but 1500 for an AR supressor.  OMG.

I'm having a tough time getting myself to fork over the 750 for the gemtech.  Then of course, 200 on top of that.

ARRRG.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Mike Klos over at American Manufacturing his triple X cans are great, tough as nails to; at the creek last year I was told they put several beta C's through the can, just keeps on keeping on.  At the price and the performance it just can't be beat. John DANE MFG.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:54:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Uh-oh.

I think I may be catching the "can" bug.

[BD]

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Uh-oh.

I think I may be catching the "can" bug.

[BD]

View Quote

ME TOO!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, but 1500 for an AR supressor.  OMG.

I'm having a tough time getting myself to fork over the 750 for the gemtech.  Then of course, 200 on top of that.

ARRRG.

View Quote

Save and wait a little longer- it will be worth it.  Contact Carl over at STW if you got any questions- tell him I sent you.

BTW, where are you in VA?

Garandman and Markm,

It's addictive- hang on to your wallet and scrutinize wisely.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#10]
"I've got an M4 upper and would like to add a suppressor. Questions...

Who makes the smallest one? Advanced Armament Company

Who makes the Cheapest one? Dalphon Mfg.

Who makes the best one? Knight's Armamnet Company

What are the mounting options? Thread on, or quick release such as Gem-Tech's Bi-Lock

Will I have to remove my flash suppressor? Yes

Is there a mounting option which is fairly quick? The Bi-Lock and Knight's mount in seconds.

Is there a mounting option which will allow the flash suppressor to remain on the gun? Knight's and the Bi-Lock work as flash suppressors, they will take place of your A2 or whatever, and are more effective.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Legal question -

Can I take a postban upper, have it modified to accept a suppressor, and them put it on my preban lower????

Another question -

They claim accuracy is not affected. Is that true????

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#12]
garandman:

No! A sound suppressor also acts as a flash suppressor, a no-go evil feature on a post-ban gun (that is, if you leave it on there).

Accuracy will be affected. Not enough to matter on something like an M4 or A2, but on a precision rifle, it will slightly shift POI.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
garandman:

No! A sound suppressor also acts as a flash suppressor, a no-go evil feature on a post-ban gun (that is, if you leave it on there).

View Quote

Havoc -

I can BUY a preban upper to put on my PREBAN lower.

But I can't retro-fit a postban upper to put on my PREBAN lower???

that doesn't make sense to me. Parts is parts, right????
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#14]
garandman:

My bad... I read too fast. Yes, you can do what you're asking. Dr. Phil Dater, of Gem-Tech, makes Bi-Lock mounts for their suppressor with no slots, which can be permanently atteached to a post-ban barrel. Now you can mount their QD can to your upper. They have a thread-on version also, but this would be for the pre-ban. As long as your barrel's not threaded, you can't use it to kill children (joke).

Is this what you mean?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Steve in VA:

Save and wait a little longer- it will be worth it.  Contact Carl over at STW if you got any questions- tell him I sent you.

BTW, where are you in VA?
View Quote

I'm in Northern VA.  Up near DC.

Now I have no idea on what to do.  Spend only a little and get the Tripple X for 300.  Spend more and get the Gemtech.  Spend a ton and get the one you are thinking of getting...  Doh.

Btw,  Since the XXX and the STW cans are out of VA, do we have to do a transfer from our local class III dealer?  Or once the ATF paperwork is back, can they ship them directly to us?  This is another 75.00 fee if I need a transfer.   Makes me want to buy in-state.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
garandman:

Dr. Phil Dater, of Gem-Tech, makes Bi-Lock mounts for their suppressor with no slots, which can be permanently atteached to a post-ban barrel. Now you can mount their QD can to your upper. They have a thread-on version also, but this would be for the pre-ban.

Is this what you mean?
View Quote

Yup, thats it. I may be getting the suppressor / silencer thingy. First off, for the "cool" factor. Secondly, I don't want to cheese off the neighbors with 200 rounds on a Saturday.

Actually, I built a $25,000 suppressor (aka "garage") that I can shoot out of to muzzle sound. But it lacks portability [:D]

Hey, you a Vols fan???
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#17]
What's a Vol? Just kidding... Actually I grew up in SC (fmr Clemson fan), but moved here to TN from... the PRK. I love being back in "Free America". Where you at in SC? My folks live in Hartsville (my surrogate hometown) and I visit a good bit.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's a Vol? Just kidding... Actually I grew up in SC (fmr Clemson fan), but moved here to TN from... the PRK. I love being back in "Free America". Where you at in SC? My folks live in Hartsville (my surrogate hometown) and I visit a good bit.

View Quote

Clemson. Ughhhhhh.

And let me just say "Welcome back" to free America.

I live near Spartanburg, but out in the country. Life IS good.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#19]
7 and anyone else in VA, if you guys need a FFL/SOT to do your transfers and want to save yourself a little money on the transfer fees    E-mail me. John, DANE MFG.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#20]

You simply find an FFL with an SOT and have Carl ship directly to him/her (take Oliver up on his offer) per a Form 3.  Once it's in, you do the Form 4 and wait the 90 days.  The Form 3 takes about 30 days.  I bought one of these cans and am waiting on the Form 4 to come back.  I'm serious about calling Carl- he knows his sh*t.  Before I talked to him, I did some research on my own regarding this suppressor and was sold.  It really is an awesome design and worth every penny.

No knocking Gemtech- in fact, Carl knows Dater and I think they respect each other professionally.  I am just really impressed with the design of the STW can as well as the Titanium blank used in it's making.  BTW, the can comes finished, not metallic looking like the add depicts.

Oliver,

Thanx for the offer- where are you?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm near Farmville, in Buckingham County, right down the road from Dave Barnes (Virginia Explosives Co.). Either Dave or I could help you Virginian's out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanx.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Mark White of Sound Technology makes some nice suppressors. One of his .223 "entry gun" cans was reviewed in the October 2000 issue of "Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement" and given high marks. They are reasonably priced ($475.00 retail) and offer good performance. I have one of his .22 "Millenium" cans that I interchange between a Ruger pistol and Marlin bolt rifle and I'm very pleased with them. His number is 205-664-5860.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Great info guys!! Anyone else have any input?
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#25]
How much sound will be cut down by a suppressor on a .223?  isn't it the round breaking the sound barrier that makes the most noise?
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#26]
My Gemtech M4-96D on my M16 makes it a whole new gun.

I have it on a factory Colt 11.5" M4 Commando upper and I will never fire it again without the suppressor.

First of all without the can, it is as loud as a 300 Win Mag. With the can, you can fire it without hearing protection. Very little (just mechanical) sound at the gun and a sonic crack out in the distance. The whole thing is the sound of a 22LR.

Second, it makes the gun VERY controllable. You would swear that it was a 9MM (well almost). Two/three round bursts are real easy and longer ones are a pleasure. Heck had my buddies 11-year old son firing it (just loaded with 4 rounds) and he had no problems at all. Heck, just wanted to fire it more.

One draw back is something called "suppressor blowback". Firing an M16 (don't know about others) causes gases to be blown back throught the ejection port and requires goggles. Also, throws the empties forward instead of to the rear. I've done some research over on subguns.com, and this seems to be normal. Not at all hard to get used to.

I don't know about on a semi-auto, but (for me) in full-auto with a shorty set-up, it's a must.

I have a Gemtech Talon-SD suppressed 9MM upper coming. From what I've seem with the M4-96D, I'm really looking forward to this with 147gr subsonic ammo. Should be quiet as hell.

Getting a suppressor for your MG really puts the iceing on the cake. You can really concentrate on firing the gun and forget the confusion of the unnecessary noise and recoil.

Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top