Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2001 9:18:43 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a good one??

Anyone read: "The Bravest Battle: The Twenty-Eight Days of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising"?

However, I can't find it ANYWHERE that it doesn't take at least 1 to 2 weeks to ship (www.books.com). I've tried amazon.com, buy.com, books.com, bookstore.com etc, lol...

Any help???
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:06:21 AM EDT
[#1]
For fiction, I'd take a look at Mila 18, by Leon Uris.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:34:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It's funny you mention that book because I just asked my local library to reserve it for me. I became interested after reading about the Warsaw Ghetto in Unintended Consequences. Check out your local library, I think you'll be surprised how many good gun books they have or can get if you ask them to. Then you can buy more ammo, etc. with cashed saved.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Here are a couple of links that may help
Ron

[url]http://www.english.upenn.edu/~afilreis/Holocaust/warsaw-uprising.html[/url]

this one has a lot of links:
[url]http://history1900s.about.com/homework/history1900s/cs/warsawghetto1/[/url]

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:21:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Captain O:
Let me refer you to the Wiesenthal Center website:
motlc.wiesenthal.com

When you get there, click on the Resistance & Rescue section, and you'll get an overview of not only the Warsaw uprising but also the resistance activity against the Nazis all over Europe. Unfortunately, it's a little known fact that all over occupied Europe, Jews in numbers far exceeding their percentage of the population fought the Nazis, in the cities, in the forests, and even in the death camps.  
My two greatest heros, Hirsh Glick, and Abba Kovner---both from my mother's birth country, Lithuania.  Glick escaped from three different Nazi camps, and fought with the partisans for over three years.  He wrote the anthem that became the marching song of Jewish fighters all over Europe.  Abba Kovner also escaped from a death camp, and when the war was over he led a group of survivors who sought out and executed justice on many of the death camp guards who had evaded the justice of the Allied occupation forces.

Since many of the Jewish partisan groups operated in territory that fell under Soviet domination after the war, their exploits were usually concealed by the Russians simply including thier stories as part of the overall partisan movements.  The Soviets had an interest in keeping their stories hidden.  Stalin was a violent anti-semite and the Commies didn't want to inspire any sense of pride in the Jewish communities under their control.

I'm writing this having just come in from (third shift) work, so I'm a little short on specific resources.  Let me go thru my at home library, and I'll post info on some specific books, by this evening.  Back to you later.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]
the jpfo.com one orders if off of amazon. it says they're out of stock, and i'm sure it'd take like 6 weeks for it to get here..soo....

BTT
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Get this book too:
[url]www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0226511928/qid%3D991262628/002-4239111-0976012[/url]

They Thought They Were Free : The Germans, 1933-35
by Milton Sanford Mayer
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Life keeps getting in the way of enjoyment! Anyway, here are some books you might want to look for.  I'd check the public library on many of these.  Most are old enough to not be in current print, but hopefully your library would still have them.

"The Wall" by John Hersey. The first, and still one of the best pieces of fiction on what happened in the Warsaw ghetto, including the 1943 uprising.  All the more impressive since it was written by a non Jewish American novelist in 1949.  Less "shoot em up" than Leon Uris's "Mila 18", but much finer piece of literature.

"If Not Now, When?" by Primo Levi.  Also a novel,but based on the true story of a band of Jewish partisans who travelled thru Italy after the war, on their way to Israel.  Levi, who had himself fought with the antifascist partisans in Italy, heard their story and wrote it.

"The Last of the Just" by Andre Schwartz-Bart.
Another fact based novel of the resistance, this time in France (my father's birth country).
The author fought with the Maquis, was arrested, escaped and rejoined the fight.

"Treblinka" by Jean-Francois Steiner. The story of the death camp that was one of two where the prisoners ultimately revolted, and destroyed the camp.
Sobibor was the other one.  There was a very good TV film about the revolt at Sobibor some  years back (with Rutger Hauer and Alan Arkin).

"The Fighting Ghettos" edited by Meyer Barkai.  The true stories of the ghetto fighters and partisans of Eastern Europe, collected and edited by the people at 'Ghetto Fighters House' in Haifa, Israel.  Most people, both Jewish and Gentile, have heard of the Yad Vashem memorial in Israel, commemorating the victims of the Haulocost.  Many fewer know that in Haifa, Ghetto Fighters House has the testimonies and records of the men and women who picked up a gun and fought the bastards.

"The Partizaner" by Yitzchok Perlov. Another novelized account of the true stories of Jewish resistance fighters.

"Forged in Fury" by Michael Elkins.  Elkins an American journalist based in Israel has written a slightly fictionalized account (he changed names) of the Jewish fighters who got together when WWII ended, and dedicated to taking vengeance on the Nazis who had gotten away.

My friend, if you get thru even half of the above books you'll have a damn good idea of the how and why of resistance to the Nazis by their primary intended victims. I haven't bothered with publishing dates nor publishers because all that may have changed by now.  I wish you good luck in finding them, and good knowledge after reading them.  You'll also know why this Jewboy keeps a CAR15 in the front closet and a Galil in the bedroom closet.  Shalom  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top