Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry the Kel-Tech P-32 during the hot months fairly regulary.  When I have to dress a little nicer i.e tuck in my shirt, it is kind of hard to conceal my 40 cal Beretta 9000.

I have seen the data on 32 auto and know that it can put someone down.  Maybe not the fastest put down in the world, but it will work.  Expecially since I know I will fire twice.

Its all a matter of compromise and what you are willing to put up with.  Is my 32 auto a compromise.....yes

Does the slim chance that I would need to put down multipul targets quickly given that %90 of the time an attacker flees when incountering an armed citizen, warrent me to to be ucomfortable and change my summer wardrobe.

In my opinion.......for me.........no.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't have a problem with the .380, but I opted for a slightly larger pistol and carry the P11.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Good question Duke.

And one that we all have to answer for ourselves.

When I went to Thunder Ranch, Clint Smith had answered this question by deciding to carry a 1911 .45ACP on his person at all times.  He wears a "shoot me" vest to keep it covered up.

But in all honesty, I find that the Texas summers are just too hot to wear a jacket.  Like you, I wear shorts and tee shirts.  Therefore, I carry a Keltec P-32, .32ACP in my shorts pocket at all times.

Is it the first pistol I'd want to bring to a fight?  Hardly.  But a .32 in your pocket is better than a .45 in the gun safe.

I have just decided that if I have to pull it and go to work, I will aim for the eyes and empty it.

It is better than nothing.  

The other pistols you mentioned are too large to carry in your pocket.  A P-32 or Keltec .380 are the best small pistols on the market.  Just shoot them enough to be sure they work every time and then carry them all the time.

One word of warning:  In Texas, my carry permit has limitations.  (Yeah, I know, it stinks, but it's the law.)  For instance, I can't leglly carry in a US Post Office.  You have to pay attention, as you will forget that you have a P-32 in your pocket.  Pay attention and obey the law.  But then, you will undoubtably remember, as you are a lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 3:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry my PPK/S from time to time. Never had one jam, or problem of any kind. VERY accurate for a small pistol, very easy to carry.

Given that, I'd prefer a larger caliber, but feel fine carrying the Walther any day.

I do not agree in any way with those that say the PPK series is unreliable. In my experience, the PPK/S is as reliable as my SIG's & HK's. It easily fits in to your pants pocket, slime profile, and always goes "bang".
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 4:03:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 4:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Colt MK IV/ Series 80 Government Model 380 auto, My grandpa alway had it in his back pocket for as long as I could remmember, ( and he was in California) Now it is on my side every day....

Me too. This is my carry-all-the-time gun, even when I have my .45.

I had a walther hang the hammer up with pocket lint and the hammer would not fall. Not to good for a pocket pistol.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 4:09:24 AM EDT
[#8]
.380 is better than just wagging your dick!
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have 9mm's and also 45's

In the summer when you do not wear sweaters or vests to conceal a holster on your waist, my Kel-Tec P32 is what I have with me. This little baby has never failed me once at the range, and you will forget you have it with you. It makes it hard to go back to carrying a bigger gun. Just have to learn how to hold it. Wave told me to hold it like a tit LOL and I have had no problems since.

You can also buy the extended magazine that will give you 10 rounds plus one and the problem about holding it will go away, that is what I have.

And yes, with the right ammo, Hydrashock, you bet is deadly.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 4:20:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Duke,  check out the Kahr PM40 before you get a .380.  Here are the dimensions of the PM40 compared to a Walther PPK/S:

Kahr                              Walther

Length        5.35             -               6.49  Inches

Height        4.0                  -             4.44  Inches

Width          0.94                 -            1.10  Inches

Weight         15                     -           25  Ounces

Thats a .40 caliber pisto much smaller and lighter than a .380.  Granted the PM40 is not a plinking piece you would want to shoot all day but it is a serious caliber for self defense.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 4:34:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I carry a Colt Pony .380 sometimes... it's about the biggest gun I can carry comfortably and discretely in my front pocket.  Though, admittedly, I do feel more secure when I carry my Glock 26, I do trust the .380 will do its job at close range.

--Mike

Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
.380 will do just fine if YOU are up to the challange.  Use FMJ ammo though.  .380 JHP either fails to expand, or if it does expand, it under penetrates.  with Ball ammo you'll get enough penetration every time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you looked at the pocket-sized 9mm Kahrs?

7rds of 9mm is not too shabby.  

I love to carry my full-sized 9mm K9.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes.

I use either a .45 ACP or a .380 Auto, depending on the circumstances.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I would, and do...

Loaded with 90gr Cor-bon.  Functions flawlessly, and I can hit anything I'm aiming at at a reasonable distance.

The thing kicks like a mule though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#17]
One tiny word on the kel-tec:

I have little experience w/ small autos, but not long ago I shot a kel-tec, and while it appeared to be a perfectly serviceable firearm, the extended magazine was unreliable due to the fact that my big fat fingers put it in a bind. YMMV, but I thought I should mention this.

FWIW, My problem w/ concealing a full-sized auto isn't a matter of if, but WHERE. I mean, small-of-back is comfortable, yeah, but in large groups of people (the checkout line at the bank or wal-mart) I don't like having my gun BEHIND me. You can't face everyone all the time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Colt Govt .380.  Have carried one for years  when wearing a bathing suit or fishing shorts.  I just put it in a soft pouch holder and drop it in the front pocket.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I carry my PPK/S from time to time. Never had one jam, or problem of any kind. VERY accurate for a small pistol, very easy to carry.

Given that, I'd prefer a larger caliber, but feel fine carrying the Walther any day.

I do not agree in any way with those that say the PPK series is unreliable. In my experience, the PPK/S is as reliable as my SIG's & HK's. It easily fits in to your pants pocket, slime profile, and always goes "bang".

The PPK/S we shot in the test was very accurate, I could hit a 15" gong at 100yds but the gun still failed at 2500 rounds but with no other stops. It was supposedly the second time the test had been tried, the first gun went about 2K before it broke. The gun got very hot but thats not an excuse. Im not sure if most pocket type guns will ever see that many rounds but I wont take that chance. Id like to know if the Kel-Tec has been tested to failure by anyone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Go with KelTec.  You will  carry it.  The others. maybe.  If you are willing  to dress like  a geek  to  conceal your latest tricked out  .45 or .50 whatever, go ahead.  Concealed carry is  more than just  hiding your pistol.  It  is  blending  into  the sheeple.  When I see a man wearing a  vest at anytime or a fanny pack, I assume he is armed.  Which may  or may  not be  a good  thing. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I had an AMT 380 Backup that was extremely concealable and very reliable. They are much smaller than a PPK or BERSA. A nice gun you can just put in a pocket and no one will see your bulge or Man Purse
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Shit, sure as hell beats throwing rocks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Am I the only one that read the title as "Would you trust your life to a .308?" and thought "Uh, do bears shit in the woods?"
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#25]
My wife has that S+W Walther.
She loves it and routinely kills Diet Coke cans.
I would not want to be in her sight with it and her CorBon's.

Now if we could get CCW in frickin Jackson County....
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep, if that is all that you had available to you. I personally would even go with a 22LR if the alternative is zero, nada, zip. The PDs in Europe use the 380ACP. Check out the ballistics tables for the 380ACP and the 38SPL, you will find they are pretty eqivalent. The fictional James Bond Agent 007 carried a 32ACP before switching to a 380ACP. The Colt 380 Mustang is a really tiny pistol, with an aluminum fame, you're talking about 12ozs.

In Denmark they USED to carry it, and switched to 9mm about 20 years ago or something, because the 7.65 was considered inadequate (I remember stories about bad guys who had been hit by multiple rounds in the chest, but didn't stop).  I'm not sure if they still use 9mm, or have moved onto something like 10mm or .40 - but I know they dropped the 7.65 long ago.

7.65 is .32 auto. .380 is 9mm kurtz (short).  (7.65mm bullets are also used in 30-Luger, which closer resembles 9mm in power, just a smaller slug on a necked down casing)

Duh !!  

Well in that case, I'm a complete MORON, and nobody should listen to anything I say

... my excuse is that I get easily confused by your weird non-metric measures
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#27]
AimSmall, CCW is coming to Jackson County, you'll just have to wait even longer than the rest of us have.

Thanks for the replies, I posted this before I went to bed last night, checked it before lunch today and holy shit its a 3 page thread!

Remember that I have a full size Hi Power under the seat and 62 rounds of ammunition in loaded mags at all times in the car.  Most of the time I can get to that Hi Power in 30 seconds or less if properly motivated, as my car is close by.   Obviously if I can get to my car my first plan is to drive off if at all possible, and deploy the Hi Power if pinned down somehow.  What I'm worried about is a situation where I'm pinned and unable to move to the car without just ending the threat right there, i.e. a gas station robbery where anyone who moves quickly is going to get shot at.

Right now, in all honesty, I'm leaning strongly towards a Glock 19 for my first CCW, with a Kel-Tec added later.  After the AWB goes away you'll be able to get cheap high-caps for the 9mm mid-size Glock, and I think its a thin, fairly light gun that will be easily hidden with a good IWB holster.  I'd consider a Glock 23 but I don't like the unsupported chamber, as I reload for .40S&W and the temptation to reload casings would be too great (and dangerous).  I really like the look and quality of the Sig 232 as well but I've never shot one.  Never shot a Kahr either, but generally I don't care for double-action-only triggers.  

Thanks again for all the replies!

P.S. Being a lawyer just means I have to worry about being disbarred if I get caught carrying in a post office (which is illegal here in Missouri too!).
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#28]
-Duke-Nukem-,

Another good .380 is the CZ-83.  It's built like a tank and people who use it love it.  They cost a little more than a Bersa, but they can carry up to 13 rounds in the mag.  Sort of like a high-class version of the Makarov.

For a .380 hollow point that has decent penetration, you might try looking at the Remington Golden Sabres.  They use a 102 gr. bullet.

For high energy, look at Magsafe ammo.  Their MAX .380 ammo should give you over 300 ft./lbs. of energy, but it supposedly isn't as effective in the winter when people wear thick clothing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I carry a P3AT probably around 99% of the time I leave the house.  It goes with me even when I take my Glock 19 along.  It serves as a great backup pistol, but I feel "decently" armed with it alone.  As far as how to carry it?  I carry it in the 5th pocket of my jean shorts most of the time.  When I'm wearing something with a small 5th pocket, or no 5th pocket, it slides right into a regular pocket.  It just sits there.  I haven't found need for a holster.  Good choice for when you can't carry anything larger.  

Sounds familiar.  I carry a G19 concealed when I can (about half the time) and a P3AT ALL the time (whether the G19 is with me or not).  I do, however, use a holster - a R.J. Hedley pocket holster, which someone has already mentioned and which I could not recommend more strongly (it's great!) for the Kel-Tecs or any of the other pocket-guns for which he offers holsters.

Always something (things, actually) larger in the car, though...
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Colt Mustang Plus II and the GF has a Colt MKIV Gov't. model.

I carry a Sig P239 about 95% of the time, which is a pretty small package in itself, but there's times when I need  to carry a smaller gun  so I'll pop the Colt in my pocket and off I go.

Both her Gov't. model and my Mustang are surprisingly accurate. A shooting buddy of mine bought his wife a Bersa Thunder .380 and it's a damn fine gun also.

I'd rather carry something a little larger but I'll trust the .380 in a pinch.

And once again all those that think the .380 and the 9MM just aren't enough, step forward and prove your manhood. Let me shoot you with EITHER caliber.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#32]
 The 380 can be OK, but it is getting on down there. With the small guns available today, the 380 isn't as attractive as it used to be. You can get a 9 or 40 as small as a SIG 230 or PPK.
 Think about this. If you have to wear a holster and belt to carry a gun, you might as well carry a 9 or 40. Something like a Keltec or Glock subcompact. Why carry a tiny, underpowered gun in a holster?
 If you need a gun to carry in your pocket, get a light gun. Not an AMT backup or other too heavy (read all steel)  pocket gun. Get a Keltec 32 or a Smith and Wesson 642.
 Even though a 380 is the same caliber as a 9, you are looking at a 90 grain slug vs a 125. That extra weight is a good thing to have.
 A 380 is better than nothing, but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Kahr PM series:  www.kahr.com/pistols_front.html

I carry a PM9, and have shot a MK40.  Both are in the size range you are looking for.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes.  P3AT is in my future.  Nothing like a good pocket gun for all-the-time carry.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Yup...do it all the time.  My Sig 230 with Hogue rubber grips is my usual fair weather carry piece.  I'd prefer to carry my Walther P-99 in .40S&W or my XD in .357 Sig but sometimes they are just a bit too big for what I'm wearing.  The Sig is virtually invisible regardless of attire.

Shot placement is the key.  I use Corbons in all my defensive weapons.

Most engagements are going to be at very close range, possibly point blank.  Remember your training and try for the head after putting two to the chest.

Most perps aren't going to be expecting resistance much less being shot.  If you are quick. calm and accurate, you should win because they are not going to be ready.

Link Posted: 7/27/2004 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Wife has both Bersa and PPK/S.  Both handguns have been reliable and accurate.  The PPK kicks more though.  I would recommend both.

However, the Taurus PT111 and PT145 in 9mm and .45 respectively are very compact.  I carry the PT111 and it is comfortable, reliable and accurate. Just a thought.

As to the question - I would trust the .380.  One would normally deploy such a firearm at close range - I think with proper shot placement, the .380 would be sufficient.

Here is the PT145
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I carry a Keltec P3-AT in a Headly pocket holster in he Texas Summer heat.

I just can't bring myself to wear loose untucked shirts and floppy shorts...looks too much like Michael Moore.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#39]
If I may suggest that you shoot a few water bottles with the expensive .380 alongside the 9mm.
Afterwards, you may find yourself shopping for a P7.
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I own a Walther PPK (not PPK/S) in .380.

While Da Phoole is laughing at me at owning such a weak gun, I can put a Hollow Point into his open mouth.

“He who laughs last…etc.”
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I usually carry a Sig 232.  when i can find them i load it with Cor-Bon 90gr +P.  Sometimes i carry something bigger, but i dont feel underguned with the .380.  

As many have said, "a mouse gun in your hand is better than a canon at home."  Carry what ever works for you, but carry something.  you'll be fine with a .380.

Ben, The_Emu
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep, if that is all that you had available to you. I personally would even go with a 22LR if the alternative is zero, nada, zip. The PDs in Europe use the 380ACP. Check out the ballistics tables for the 380ACP and the 38SPL, you will find they are pretty eqivalent. The fictional James Bond Agent 007 carried a 32ACP before switching to a 380ACP. The Colt 380 Mustang is a really tiny pistol, with an aluminum fame, you're talking about 12ozs.

In Denmark they USED to carry it, and switched to 9mm about 20 years ago or something, because the 7.65 was considered inadequate (I remember stories about bad guys who had been hit by multiple rounds in the chest, but didn't stop).  I'm not sure if they still use 9mm, or have moved onto something like 10mm or .40 - but I know they dropped the 7.65 long ago.

7.65mm is .32 (THIRTY TWO) ACP, not 380!

.380 is 9mm Kz
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#43]
P.S. PPK jams...

The PPK is, like a 1940's M1911, a pre-hollowpoint design...

It will feed FMJ 100%, however it doesn't like some of the new 'fancy' defense rounds...

Personally, I have one because it's the biggest gun I can get away with should I need to carry it (a/o glovebox), given that CCW is illegal here.

I can hit minute-of-head at 25ft, 1st shot, so who cares about expansion?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top