Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2001 5:08:40 PM EDT
Keep a handle on those cookies.  Check out this free cookie viewer at  http://www.winmag.com/columns/powertools/ptcookie.htm
Link Posted: 2/7/2001 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2001 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Cookies are little programs that websites place on your harddrive.  A website can track your preferences using cookies.  They can also track YOU.  It is best to set your Browser for "Accept only cookies that are sent back to the originating server".  Problem is, now the banner ads on many websites bypass this by routing their cookies thru the host server.  Cookies can be used in a number of malicious ways.  One such way is targeted mostly at children.  You know those sweepstakes questionairs?  Kids fill all kinds of them out hoping to win toys, ect.  Fill one out and submit it.  With cookies enabled.  Now they have just put a real name and address with your computer.  Send you spam and junk mail based on your surfing preferences, and only God knows what else.
Also, you should only run Java Script at websites you can trust.  Gives out all kinds of info on your OS, plugins, monitor settings, ect.  Plus it slows things down, you get more popups and other ads.  It's a jungle out there!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2001 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/8/2001 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Well Striker,
You must have Java Script enabled or you couldn't get the smiley legend box, unless you have those symbols memorized.  If you are using Netscape, leftclick edit, then preferences, then advanced.  Choose from there.  I.E. users go to Internet Preferences, then advanced.  Not as many choices on cookie preferences, at least on my version.
I am not a computer geek, but I think Java Script is a type of broadbased online plug-in that allows the website host computer to interact with your computer, in a transparent fashion, without you even knowing it.  You can get some bad aplets.  Anybody who knows better, feel free to correct me.  Java Script is not the same as JAVA, a computer language, also used for computer interaction.  Your computer will tell you when JAVA starts, if it is enabled.
Try surfing with Java Script off.  You will load pages faster and loose those annoying popups.
Set a new profile on your browser named "Cookies", or whatever.  Then run that profile when visiting AR-15.com or photopoint, but not for just "surfing".

Link Posted: 2/8/2001 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top