Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2001 10:55:59 AM EDT
Anyone going to be at Rolling Thunder this Sunday in DC?

If you're in the DC area and ride, you owe it to youself to try to get to DC Sunday for this protest ride.

Ride if you can, but if you don't have a bike, come out and support our veterans anyway.

The ride starts from the Pentagon Parking lot and loops throgh DC to the Capitol and back to the Lincoln Memorial.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang, I can't believe no one has anything to say about this event.

I guess it just goes to show what lousy coverage the media gives this event.

Do you guys even know what the Ride to the Wall/Rolling Thunder is?

It grew from a protest by a group of Vietnam Vets that were demading a full accounting of Americas MIA's. Over it's 14 years the event has grown to be a major event that still focuses on account for our MIA's but also honors all who have served.  

I would venture to estimate there'll be between 200 and 250 THOUSAND bikers particpanting, plus the spectators in the hunderds of thousands.  That is a Memorial Day parade to get your attention.

People ride in from every corner of the Country for this one day event.

I can't describe the emotion of riding across Memorial Bridge into DC with 200,000 of my closest friends in order to honor Veterans living and dead.  I've also been a spectator and can't describe what it's like to see hundreds of thousands of bikes shoulder to shoulder 3 lanes wide come across that bridge in a steady stream.  So many bikes that it's hours from the time the first bike crosses till the last ones get to DC.

Where are the Virginians?

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...I know what Rolling Thunder is.

I haven't ridden in twenty years, but it doesn't matter...I know what you're talking about.  I'm with you, you just won't see me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry I missed your thread last week.  Yea, I've done the run to the wall a couple of times in the last 5 years.  It is definitely the largest gathering of scooters you will ever see in one parking lot.  We usually go a couple of days early, and check out the sites before the traffic gets bad.  It is tough to see those guys who have actually been there and done that.  Only to have the govt. turn it's back on them.  Definitely a good cause, for all the good it seems to do. :^(

As about a dozen of us were waiting in line to go up in the Washington Monument one day, one of the guys peeled off really fast when he noticed the metal detectors at the entrance.  Come to find out, he had been packing for 2 days as we toured DC.  We got a good laugh out of that one.

BTW, we always ride em.  No matter if it's 100 mile round trip or 3000 mile round trip.  We ride em.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dang, I can't believe no one has anything to say about this event.

I guess it just goes to show what lousy coverage the media gives this event.
View Quote

I don't have a cycle, but I went down there anyway on Sunday.  It was a great rally.  There must be a couple of hundred thousand motorcyclists in the parade.  Bikers are now the most patriotic group of Americans.  

Also visited the Wall.  

The media sure does downplay the event.  If there were that many Gays or Feminists marching on DC it would be the story of the week.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I went down on Sunday.  Did not seem as many people in the rally but it seems that a whole bunch of people came in support both on bikes and on foot.  I could not even get down to see the wall so many people were in line to look.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The media sure does downplay the event.  If there were that many Gays or Feminists marching on DC it would be the story of the week.

GunLvr
View Quote

sub-MOA, baby. One ragged-arse hole.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top