Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2001 10:23:35 PM EDT
What brand/model FAL should a person be looking for to keep the AR's company in the gun safe?
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the DSA STG58A kit FAL. It is just about the best thing going right now. All though they are having some problems with the ATF and the muzzle brake, but they should have that worked out by now.

[url]www.dsarms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If you haven't found this site it yet:

[url]www.fnfal.com/falfiles/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Does any one know for a fact what DSA is doing re: the STG kits?

I was on the verge of placing an order when the muzzle brake issue came up and now want to see what the replacement will be before proceeding.

Can anyone post a pic of what is being offered as a substitute?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know what Hunter is talking about, I have had two Argentine FALs and both performed perfectly.
But I would agree that your best bet is a DSA FAL.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does any one know for a fact what DSA is doing re: the STG kits?

Can anyone post a pic of what is being offered as a substitute?
View Quote

They are offerring a "barrel weight" that looks like the Steyr but without the "ports" or little holes.

Or, I've also heard that they will give you the SA58 comp, with three big holes at both the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position. (pictured on their website)

As far as the Steyr brake, they and Tapco are arguing that issue with the ATF'ers right now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a new arrival of Australian "inch
pattern" kits at $199 from Tapco.  You can
buy a new receiver and the US parts kit, also.
The Australians may have built the best of the
FAL's, with the STG a close 2nd. I have heard
that the South American rifles were not as well
made. I have an STG kit rifle, and it is great
fun to shoot. (Imbel receiver) One downside on
inch guns is the magazine price.  I can buy
excellent metric Austrian mags for $5.00 from
DSA, but the inch mags are somewhat more -
perhaps in the $15.00 range. Anyway, do not delay.  As for the brake, the one in question was once approved by the ATF, and then they
decided to test them again -pure B.S.  Tapco
and DSA are appealing it, I guess.  I have a
brake from Tapco, and it is NO FLASH HIDER!
Just my thoughts, John
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#9]
If someone is able to find one the Australian Lithgow made L1A1s imported to the U.S, i highly recommend them. Excellent quality all around. We have sold over a 100 of them here. Prices have been from 150 to 470$. The 470$ weapons are as NIB as over 30year old weapons can be,unfired and still greenish in color. Have one myself and will never part with it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If someone is able to find one the Australian Lithgow made L1A1s imported to the U.S, i highly recommend them. Excellent quality all around. We have sold over a 100 of them here. Prices have been from 150 to 470$. The 470$ weapons are as NIB as over 30year old weapons can be,unfired and still greenish in color. Have one myself and will never part with it.
View Quote

Where is "WE" email website etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, "WE"is Joensuun SAR company. It includes my bosses, Mr. Lappalainen and Mr.Ruotsalainen and myself.We are putting our site up in the summer(was suppose to be up at winter). Current mails can be sent to my address at [email protected].

We are a weapons dealership/indoor range situated in eastern Finland.

Tuukka Jokinen
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are offerring a "barrel weight" that looks like the Steyr but without the "ports" or little holes.

Or, I've also heard that they will give you the SA58 comp, with three big holes at both the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position. (pictured on their website)

As far as the Steyr brake, they and Tapco are arguing that issue with the ATF'ers right now.
View Quote

Hmmm...After reading your post, I called DSA and confirmed the options you outline and asked their recommendation.

They seemed really fond of the "barrel weight" option.

I'm having a real hard time accepting that option, even though they say it improves accuracy due to better harmonics.  Even if it really does make a measureable accuracy difference, it will still seem like a purely cosmetic lump of waste metal to me.  

The brake on the SA58 is at least funtional, if not exactly authentic in appearence.  

About the only down side he came up with was "loud", which isn't an issue to me, sine guns are supposed to be loud.

I can't decide if I should wait and see if the Styer style brake gets appoved, choose the Styer style "pipe", or opt for the SA58 brake.

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I can't decide if I should wait and see if the Styer style brake gets appoved, choose the Styer style "pipe", or opt for the SA58 brake.

View Quote

I got one of the last original Steyr BRAKES before ATF's feces hit the fan. Let's just say I've adopted a "wait and see" attitude.

I can tell you that the SA58 brake does a nice job of controlling muzzle rise. I got to shoot of friend of mine's Medium contour with that brake. I ended up laughing out loud as I rapid-fired that .308, and the front sight stayed pretty darn well right on target.

Also,

I'm no  machinist or gunsmith, and I don't know a dang about harmonics, but it looks to me like you could get that crappy barrel weight and drill holes in it yourself, and be pretty darn close to the original Steyr brake.

This is NOT a legal opinion. Some settling of contents may occur. Your mileage may vary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top