Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2001 2:45:52 AM EDT
How the hell can a politician change his party after being elected. Shouldn't he have to wait till his next election. Isn't this one of the greatest possible deciets committed against a constituancy? Shouldn't he have to resign first then run again? Isn't there a friggin law against this? There sure as hell should be. He should be forced to return ALL his campaign contributions. I think this is absolutely outragous. [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand, Jeffords voted with the Democrats a lot anyway.  For example, he was one of the leaders in killing the Bush tax plan in its first round through the Senate.  So, if he's going to vote that way, he might as well be honest about it.  I don't imagine his constituents in Vermont are going to be all that upset, at least on the whole.  Look what percentage of them voted for Al Gore.

Where this will have its real effect is in the control of committees.  Jeffords will now side with the Democrats in those votes, and the Democrats will start to control the flow of legislation through committee.

I've never been a big fan of the extent of control that the parties had over congressmen.  I think they ought to vote with their conscience and not with their party (including in the selection of committee chairman).  But that's not going to start happening any time soon, I suppose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top