Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2001 5:24:32 PM EDT
What games are you guys currently playing, or what are some of your favorites?

I'm having a hard time finding something new to hold my attention.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Counter-strike, TFC, Unreal Tournament... any first-person-shooter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought my first computer game ever (which is probably pathetic because I am just about done with a degree in Comp. Eng. with a minor in Comp. Sci.). The Game is called Rogue Sprear. It is pretty freaking fun think. You get all the weapons you would want to play with (except an AK-47). It basically a senerio game where you have to rescue hostages or shoot terrorists and things like that. They have barrett rifles, MP5s, AUGs, M4s, G3s, M16s, SAWs, etc.. (basically all the mlitary weapons and frag gernages, night vision, flash bangs, etc.. and you get a backup wepon for if you run out of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I love 1st person shooters. My all time favorite is Team Fortress. A free multiplayer team bases capture the flag mod for Half-Life.

If you are into good ole shoot the hell out of anything that moves, try Serious Sam. You won't be disappointed.

Tropico is a cool Sim City type game that puts you in the roll of a dictator. You control a small island. Great graphics and refreshing game play.

American McGee's Alice is a wonderful 3rd person adventure game. It takes the classic Alice and Wonderland theme and gives it a psycho-horror twist. One of the best games I've played, graphically and fun wise.

If you want a more realistic shooter experience, you can never go wrong with the Rainbow Six series. I would suggest getting the Rogue Spear Platinum Pack.

There are many other new games out too, Command and Conqure Red Alert 2, Clive Barker's Undying, Nascar 4.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Halflife, it's the main base game for a WHOLE bunch of modified games(known as mods) on which Counterstrike, Team Fortress, and Firearms are all based on.   The Halflife games and mods are typically very fast paced and will have you bouncing off the walls when the games get good.   The mods are all downloadable but it can be a real pain if you don't have a fast broadband connection, buying the mods included with Halflife is possible so it will install right along with the new game and then all you've got to do is update the game to play online.  You can also find the newest Firearms mod on this months PC Gamer free Compact Disc included with the purchase of the magazine.

Counterstrike and Firearms are online only games unlike Rogue Spear or HalfLife which are both online and single player games.

Delta Force 2, a pretty fun game when played online and the game rooms aren't infested with cheaters.   It allows for massive outdoors environments that Rogue Spear, Halflife games, and a whole bunch of other games simply do not provide.  The Delta Force series is known to be a little buggy though, same is true for the Land Warrior game(delta force 3 essentially).   Land Warrior is a bit more polished graphics wise.

Rogue Spear isn't all that bad, you can find mods for it as well that allow you to use a LOT more weapon types but typically they are made to be unrealistic as sin and finding favorites can be a long process.   Also, if you use a mod you've got to play a game with other people who have that mod enabled, Rogue Spear has a utility in it that allows you to select which mods you want to play with though so when you join a game you can match to whatever the host is using.   Rogue Spear can be a bit fatiguing at times, when you die early in the game you've got to wait till the living team members either all get killed off or manage to complete the mission and that can take an eternity, it also is a little slower paced typically than the Halflife games.

I recommend going to [url]http://zone.msn.com/blog.asp?TAd=1[/url] which is a game hosting service by Microsoft.  You can see which games are being played online and typically any of the games with 400-500 players online(sometimes over 1500) are the popular ones.    Games like Halflife have a multiplayer support system built into it so you don't have to goto a hosting site like MSN zone, the Delta Force series use an included game finder as well.

For real time strategy Age Of Empires 2 is pretty hard to beat, it's got some decent game play and at times it will make you wonder how you ever put up with checkers or chess.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
anyone playing Tribes2 ? It's an online multiplayer game with 3 armor classes (scout, medium, heavy), vehicles (tanks, grav cycles, fighters, bombers, transports). Fun game but it needs a fast computer (900mhz+) and a Geforce2/3 video card.

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
bender, I've got Tribes 2 but I haven't played it all that much since I got it the day it was released.

The damned learning curve on the game is pretty steep for me, I just flat out get my ass kicked in the game.

I've got PIII 866/133 with 128megs of RAM and a 32Meg Radeon, it runs fine on my system and I usually ping really well thanks to my cable modem.

It's not my system that makes me suck, it's just me.

All the jet packing around and crap really just makes me blow my lid.   If somebody would make a mod for Tribes 2 where you can't freaking fly all over the place with a jet pack and it was more like a combination of Delta Force 2 and perhaps Firearms then I'd really get into it, especially with the combat vehicles that you can man.   I think a mod for the game could be really cool, do something like a Desert Storm theme where aircraft are Apache helicopters and the land vehicles are either hummers or bradleys.

Tribes 2 looks great and all but it just kicks my ass.

It also seems to need an update patch about once a week.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]
A super-terrific and FREE game is Operation Flashpoint.  Squad level FPS set in WWIII in 1985 Europe.  Incredibly deep game, lots of cool weapons.  Demo is free, full version to be released soon.  Download here:

[url]http://www.operationflashpoint.com/index_eng.php?page=Downloads[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty much into the D&D type games. Currently playing Age of Wonders, but really can't get into it yet. My characters still lack power and get clobbered often. I get frustrated and go on the boards instead. I like to play flight sims also. Have the F16 and Navy fighters that I like to play on Heat.net every now and again.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Just to stay sorta on/off topic, can anyone tell me what to look forward to if I get my hands on FREE copies of:(full versions)

Unreal Tournament

MDK II

Deus Ex

Thief II

We have some bundled software at work, that the IT guy had sitting in a stack. I recently overheard him refer to the stack of CD's(with other junky, worthless CDROMs) as trash, so I'm going to see if he'll give them up.

Bonus geek points for anyone who can tell me what this software is bundled with.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I like to play DF3.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Juggernaut, DeusEx is a game that is pretty cool just for the story alone.  DuesEX will take you QUITE a while to play through even if you cheat just so you can see all the story script, they actually made the game so that there are like 3 different plots depending on actions you take at key moments in the story line.

That's a pretty cool game, the games you mentioned sounds like the bundle that comes with a SoundBlaster Live "X-gamer" sound card.

Unreal Tournament will be a fast paced "deathmatch" game, similar in style to all the games that the media and soccer moms have been crying about.

I haven't played MDK or ThiefII yet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Check out WWIIonline

It is going to rock and it hits the stores on june 6th this year :)

http://www.playnet.com/bv/wwiiol
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#14]
WWII Online is gonna be in stores by June 6th?

Last time I checked up on it they were still VERY heavy into beta testing and as late as a month ago they figured it would stretch through till August and that was just the Beta testing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Currently Playing Star Trek Voyager Elite Force

Also am addicted to Unreal Tournament and The Sims Livin Large
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Juggernaut, DeusEx is a game that is pretty cool just for the story alone.  DuesEX will take you QUITE a while to play through even if you cheat just so you can see all the story script, they actually made the game so that there are like 3 different plots depending on actions you take at key moments in the story line.

That's a pretty cool game, the games you mentioned sounds like the bundle that comes with a SoundBlaster Live "X-gamer" sound card.

Unreal Tournament will be a fast paced "deathmatch" game, similar in style to all the games that the media and soccer moms have been crying about.

I haven't played MDK or ThiefII yet.
View Quote

Bingo! Yep, that's it, though why we bought a Soundblaster X-gamer card for a business PC...I dunno.

Sounds cool, I'll have to see if I can get it. Deus Ex Machina was my first thought, peaked my interest. Last cool game I played was Journeyman Project 3, so you know I'm bored...

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I play Teamfortress in a couple of leagues.  Firearms is pretty cool though if you pick the Aug it gives you a definite advantage over the other rifles
Played Q3F(diddnt care for sound effects and graphics), Unrealfortress(buggy as hell), tribes2(which looks great but is hard to play unless you got a group of guys who will work together as a team.)
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#18]
All I seem able to really get into are RPG games. My favorites are the Might and Magic series.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Let's see: Unreal Tournament, Rainbow 6(Rogue Spear is the sequeal to this), Terminus(great space game), F/A-18 Hornet and Korea, Command and Conquer(great overhead game), Dues Ex.
Working on getting The Sims, Elite Force, Quake 3, Rogue Spear
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love 1st person shooters. My all time favorite is Team Fortress. A free multiplayer team bases capture the flag mod for Half-Life.
View Quote

TF is a mod for the original Quake. Team Fortress Classic is the mod for Half-Life. I'm just being nit-picky because I'm a TF veteran.

Games I'm playing: TFC, Firearms, Grand Prix Legends, Diablo 2, NHL 2001.

CS is for ass packers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I like Worms Armageddon.  It's a nice change of pace and it doesn't require a $400 graphics card.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I got this new game called "Pong" it really rocks!  Got these fancy controls with a knob fer moving the paddle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I think the best one out there is CounterStrike, it has accurately described weapons that are realistic. Clip changing, sounds, quite a few different boards, and shot effectiveness of diff weapon all are life like. Your either terrorist or counter-terr. But its only a multi-player internet game.  
       If you want a game that is not internet, then buy Soldier Of Fortune, the computer characters are actually smart and the graphics are great
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:21:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Unreal Tournament.  Used to be Team Fortress/half-life, but never like the "feel" of it as much as UT.  Kinda a clunky engine...
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I play DF3 a lot. The AssaultWeb.net guys play in a password protected room every now and then. One of the guys from AK47.net sets up some killer scenarios.

Play UT on heat.net sometimes. I just takes too long to load and is hard to get into a game. The heat.net site is fast but buggy, get booted a lot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Operation: Flashpoint.  WWIII occured in 1985 between Russia and the US, and you're a grunt.  Stealing vehicles is fun, and you can even use the iron sights on your weapons for better accuracy. [url]www.operationflashpoint.com[/url]

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Alot of you guys mention Half-Life mods. Nobody mentioned DoD. I cant believe you guys are not playing this WWII mod. You must check out the Garand !

Great game..... if I could only get my daughter to let me play on my PC.

Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#29]
i cannot play Delat force 3 online don't know why won't respond.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just to stay sorta on/off topic, can anyone tell me what to look forward to if I get my hands on FREE copies of:(full versions)

Deus Ex

Juggernaut[%(]
View Quote

Deus Ex is a pro-NWO/UN game. You are an UN operative that hunts down and kills world government resisters.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Deus Ex is a pro-NWO/UN game. You are an UN operative that hunts down and kills world government resisters
View Quote

Uhhhh.... not to give away anything, but the game doesn't sorta stay there(kinda boring if it did). There's a nice story that isn't really pro-NWO at all - did you play the game before saying that?
Very cool game. Never played RPG's before but this I can relate to this - instead of spells and faeries there are guns and soldiers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just bought my first computer game ever (which is probably pathetic because I am just about done with a degree in Comp. Eng. with a minor in Comp. Sci.). The Game is called Rogue Sprear.
It is pretty freaking fun think. You get all the weapons you would want to play with (except an AK-47).
View Quote

Download the latest "NATO" patch, it gives you a BUTTLOAD of new weapons, AKs, ALL of the H&Ks, comlpete M16/AR15 series, portable MINNI GUN!!!, whole slew of new grenades and explosives, bunch of new secondary weapons, LR2000, ect, ect, ect....also better balistics sound, and animation for all of the weapons.

You guys are talking PC games now....THAT is my forte' ....SWAT 3 is another one alot of you would like,..get the elite addition. lots of downloadable patches for it also.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#33]
My current games are:

Age of Wonders PBEM
Close Combat III (Nazi v. Russians)
Close Combat IV  (Nazi v. US)

I only have a crappy dial-up, so I don't play any online games.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I like Harpoon, especially the original version.

Also the original Panzer General was fun but not necessarily accurate.  Later versions of Panzer General are worse.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Gun Lover doc....I was in the hotel room the night that larry bond and the boys finished coding Harpoon........so was Tom Clancy.
And a couple other Sci-fi and writer types.
To the original question.....right now Deadlock 2, Diablo 2 recently all the Age of games and
all of the city builder games---Caesar, Cleopatra and Zeus. And the only first person games I play are Mechwarrior series. Yep I play alot of games and never EVER played online.

anti-social hound out-----My computer doesn't cry when I beat it like a red-headed step-kid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top