Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2004 12:29:37 PM EDT
Multiple questions in this one.  Tough one.

The "winner" of this will be the person who gets all 4 correct, and will receive 4 points.  No partial points will be given.

1)  Of those numbers whose English representation in capital letters consists only of straight lines, only one number has a value equal to the number of straight line segments required to write it out. What number is this?

2) What word is pronounced differently when the first letter is capitalized?   (Hint:  there are least 4 possible answers)

3) Punctuate the following so it makes sense:

"That that is is that that is not is not is not that it it is."

4)  What word begins with 'h', ends with 'n', contains six letters, and contains eight words besides itself without transposing a single letter?

Score Now is:

LFODNH...........3
Strats..............2
Brouhaha.........1
Leelaw..............1

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
1. TWENTY NINE
2. Polish/polish
3. "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is not that it? It is."
4. herein
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
1. TWENTY NINE
2a. Polish/polish
2b. Herb/herb
2c. Nice/nice
2d. Job/job
3.  "That that is, is; that that is not, is not; is not that it? It is."
4. Herein
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#4]
AllBeefPatty is the winner 4 points.

Score Now is:

AllBeefPatty.....4
LFODNH...........3
Strats..............2
Brouhaha.........1
Leelaw..............1

Now either this was too easy or you found the site I took these from.  My others are coming out of a book I own, but I flew to Montreal today and the book is in my suitcase, so I "stole" from the internet.

So, which was it...EASY or you found the site?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
No bonus points for 4 answers to #2? boo hoo...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
1)  Of those numbers whose English representation in capital letters consists only of straight lines, only one number has a value equal to the number of straight line segments required to write it out. What number is this?

It depends on how you write your "Y" and "I", but here's what I found:

TWENTY NINE
2+4+4+3+2+3  +  3+1+3+4 = 29

2) What word is pronounced differently when the first letter is capitalized?   (Hint:  there are least 4 possible answers)

polish (Polish)

3) Punctuate the following so it makes sense:

"That that is is that that is not is not is not that it it is."

That that is, is; that that is not, is not.  Is not that it?  It is.

4)  What word begins with 'h', ends with 'n', contains six letters, and contains eight words besides itself without transposing a single letter?

HATPIN

HA
HAT
A
AT
  PI
  PIN
   I
   IN

Edited to add:  Damn, I'm too slow with having to do this work thing and all...  The only one I looked up was "HATPIN"  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top