Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2004 6:30:50 PM EDT
Whatever idiot put in the outside faucet on the front of my house put it too low, and you can just barely get a hose on it, and his solution was to chip a depression in the concrete porch.  I'd like to move it up to the correct height, but I hate to leave a hole in the brickwork.  Apparently it was done before the brick was done, because the grout lines don't line up there.

What's the best solution for this?

Michael
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Tannerite.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this a spigot or a hosebib on the side of the house?

If it is a spigot and there is exposed pipe, cut the pipe, thread it, put on an elbow, and another piece of pipe.

If it is a hosebib, I couldn't tell you.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a standard knob type outside faucet, but not enough pipe is exposed outside to put an elbow on if I cut the faucet off.  I guess I could cut it, put an extension on it in the basement, and then put an elbow on it, but I'm thinking that will look kind of .

Sorry, dunno what a hosebib is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is coming out of the house wall, drywall is a helluva lot easier to deal with that concrete / brick. Open the interior wall, pick your new height, hammer-drill / masonry bits, drill to the outside, run the new pipe, close the wall. A weekend project.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]
So you can access the feed pipe from the basement?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I can access the supply line from the basement, and I'm not worried about the hole down there, I can patch that no problem.  I'm concerned with the leftover hole if I move it up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
So the pipe 90's somewhere before it goes to the outside?  Or does it 90 twice?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#8]
90's in the basement, I'd just need to cut it, put on an extension, and a new 90, then run it out the new hole.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Just unscrew the faucet, put an elbow on the threaded portion sticking out from the wall, go up as much as you like with a pipe nipple, put on another elbow, another nipple, and reinstall the faucet.

Job done, and you will have been able to screw on two nipples. What more could you ask for?

Edit to add, if it is a freezeless faucet, you will have to come up with a different plan.
Edit to add, pipe "nipple" is a highly technical plumber term for a chunk of pipe threaded on both ends.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
90's in the basement, I'd just need to cut it, put on an extension, and a new 90, then run it out the new hole.

There's your solution.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I know how to deal with the plumbing aspect of it, I'm wondering about the brick work issues.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Tannerite.
Ok,ok,ok... chewing gum.

Fill the hole with mortar. Add a little camo paint if you need to.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm confused - you're concerned about the ~1" hole in the brick where the pipe currently is? IF so, simple, will it with mortar / cement. If you are interested in hiding it as much as possible, there are powdered dyes you can add to the mortar to make it match more closely.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, there ya go.  I guess it won't be too noticeable though?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#15]
won't be too noticeable, whatever patch method you use.
another trick, if the brick is the same through-and-through, another trick is to drill inside the hole to generate some brick dust, set it aside, fill with mortar and rub the dust on the surface after it has set for a bit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Any chance you can just lower the ground outside?  Dig a little hole under the fawcet so you have clearance?  That's what I would do.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Whatever idiot put in the outside faucet on the front of my house put it too low, and you can just barely get a hose on it, and his solution was to chip a depression in the concrete porch

Uh...
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just unscrew the faucet, put an elbow on the threaded portion sticking out from the wall, go up as much as you like with a pipe nipple, put on another elbow, another nipple, and reinstall the faucet.

Job done, and you will have been able to screw on two nipples. What more could you ask for?

Edit to add, if it is a freezeless faucet, you will have to come up with a different plan.
Edit to add, pipe "nipple" is a highly technical plumber term for a chunk of pipe threaded on both ends.

I agree! BUT!!!!
I lke AR-10's idea too. TANNERITE!!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Jack your house up a few inches.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Permanently attach a short hose?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top