Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2001 9:37:56 AM EDT
What would it take to form an 'official' State Militia?  If the federal government wanted to ban private gun ownership, could individual states form an [i]official[/i] state milita?  Such a militia functioning as aid during natural disasters and and serving as a defense force, such as Switzerland's militia, that would only serve a defensive purpose of the state?
Has it ever been considered or is that out of the questions (have I allready been put on the CIA's to do list?)?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Capro, Capro, Capro...you've fallen into a trap.  Reread the Second.  

You are the militia and you don't need to belong to any stinking State sponsored group.  You are necessary to keep that State free.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand that, but if state recognition occurs, then we would be something other than "civilians".  And not be subject to those restrictions.  Now imagine if the state allowed anyone to join this "militant wing of the state patrol."  In effect, the state would allow anyone within the state to freely keep and bear arms, because members would be considered non-civilian.

Now I'd prefer the state not to be have to control "membership" of the state militia, and I wish the only requirement was to live in the state and own a gun, but obviously that isn't good enough for some people.

So wouldn't official recognition by the state, consideration of all gun owners as state militia turn the militia into non-civilians, and therefore not subject to civilian gun control.

I'm just thinking this would be a way for some states who will object to future federal gun control laws to work around them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What would it take to form an 'official' State Militia?  Has it ever been considered or is that out of the questions (have I allready been put on the CIA's to do list?)?
View Quote

The kalidiots did this back a couple decades ago when the state legislature created the civilian "State Defense Force" (SDF). It was soon discovered that the many joining had extensive criminal and white supremacist backgrounds. I am not sure of the status of the organization now.

State Defense Forces - authorized militia
By Harry V. Martin and David Caul
Copyright FreeAmerica and Harry V. Martin, 1995
[url]www.sonic.net/sentinel/gvcon3.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Rhode Island sounds like a cool place to live, there or Vermont.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
state law prohibits MG's
View Quote

[B]That is a crying shame. There is a violation of your 2nd.!

MG's prob a lost cause, but IMHO not ESSENTIAL.
View Quote

[B]sorry you feel that way, MG's ARE essential. If the military has them, then we should by GOD have them!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Halfcocked is right.  The Constitution set up NO federal or state "militia".  Governmentally controlled forces have always been regular army until the adoption of the the National Guard in 1909(?).  Until the National Guard, there were no state sponsored forces.  The militia spoken of in the Constitution has never been nor ever will be comprised of anything more than the citizen.  

If you are worried about the future of your right to bear arms, you should be seriously thinking about joining a militia, and I'm not talking about the National Guard.  The very source of control of the Guard is the same government that seeks to disarm you.  Logically, I would think you would want to distance yourself from that sort of thing, unless you plan to use your membership in that unit to the [i]real[/i] militia's advantage.

SOL
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Many States have State Guard units.  The most famous being the Missouri State Guard, which has existed since before the civil War.

Most of these units fought with General Sterling Price.

Wouldn't a great time for a takeover of our united States be while the NG was deployed elsewhere?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
BTW, generally in Southern States, the unorganized state militia by law consists of all men 16-50 capable of bearing arms.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
South Carolina has a State Guard, and it has been in existence for about 15 years. There is considerable influence behind it. Some of the leaders were ex-Adjuntent(sp?)Generals of SC. Prior military experience is an instant qualification for admission. Not sure how non-military personnel qualify.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#13]
So what states have an official state militia?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
So what happens if your over 50? Are you then not allowed to belong? or Is it optional at your descretion? Do you then give up your 2nd rights?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#16]
You can still be over 50, and belong to the organized militia.

In Mississippi there are 3 classes:

Organized:

Army & Air National Guards (some states have a small Naval Nat'l Guard)

State Guard (no age or ability restrictions)

Unorganized:

All men 16-50 capable of bearing arms.  Unless they are in one of the above, or in the various US Armed Forces (Active or Reserve)

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Garand Shooter posted:

NC has an organised state militia, they are small but do exist.
View Quote

Unfortunately, the NC State Defence Militia  (NCSDM) was forced to become inactive back in 1996(1997??)...Our beloved former Governor Hunt and his idiot in charge of the Dept of Crime Control decided they didnt like all of these volunteers helping the state for free. Most of us were apparently Republicans or Libertarians or something....[:p]

The NCSDM exists only on paper, and individual units may not muster...most of its former members have joined the United States Service Command. I have mixed feelings about any organization that cooperates so close with FEMA.

BTW, I am given to understand that much the same thing happened in Virginia with their State Defence Force. *sigh*

G2

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top