Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2001 6:35:15 AM EDT
I graduated from the University of Kansas School of Medicine this past weekend.  It was a lot of fun, and made the 4 years of hard work well worth it.  I still have over a month before residency begins, so I plan to get all the shooting and golf in that I can.  I will be doing my residency in general surgery.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!.... now you must join your brethren and become an ANTI.

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulation! Well worth it! and Well done!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
You are absolutely right Ed.  I want in.  Anti did you hear this?  Run for your life!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Big Congratulations to you!

My father, an uncle, and a cousin all got their MDs at KU med.  (Uh-oh, that may be enough information to trace me.)
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Well Done, [beer] Congratulations[<]:)]

I hope you plan to offer free surgery for everyone at the board [:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations young man.(I'm really not that old myself though!) My son will graduate with his M.D. degree from the Medical School of Ohio June 1, with residency in Opthomology (did I spell that right?) So anyone out there who complains about accuracy on their AR15's, better email me first, 'cause you probably can't see right. (Quit blaming it on the guns! Man, I have read that post over and over). My hat's off to you for the hard, hard, hard work that had to be accomplished to get where you are at! Yes, a discount is in order for all in need.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations,hey doc I got a question for you.Every time I'm around guns I get this uncontrollable feeling and I have to buy one.New guns,old guns,short guns,tall guns,skinny guns,fat guns,expensive guns,cheap guns,gun accessories,gun screensavers,gun clothing,gun coffee cups,pretty much anything that involves a gun.I also like to put a couple of drops of CLP on my wifes neck before we make love.WHAT THE F IS WRONG WITH ME?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Congratulations! [<]:)] Good luck in your residency!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#13]
A new doc huh?  Congrads.  Which one of the TV medical shows do you watch? ER, Third Watch.....  And who is your favorite chararcter?  Is this what really happens in a hospital?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#14]
When you use a scalpal, do you have to have a CCW?

Concealed
Coronary
Weapon

[:D]

Congrats, Doc!
Jewbroni~

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#15]
A LEs wife just delivered a baby by cesarean section.  He was on duty but he ran to the hospital. The liberal butthead nurses and administration would not let him keep his duty Sig P226.  They called security to confiscate it until he was ready to leave.  Too bad the antigun types didn't know about his backup seecamp on his ankle.  We had a chuckle afterwards!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Jakeb, quit while youre ahead!  Not like it used to be, lots more headaches these days!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Grats.
But i thought Doctors go thru 8 years of school?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#18]
$$$ more AR"s [:)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Vega here is the break down.

4 years undergrad
4 years med school
1 year intern if you are are DO, if MD not required.
3 to 7 years of residency, depends on which. Common examples

Family-3 years
OB-4years
Gen Surg-5 years

I think the average is approximately 12 years after high school.

Fellowships add 2+ years on top of that.  

Even though we get paid better after we become attendings.  Its literally slave labor during residency.  My buddy figured that we worked enough hours to get about $5.60 an hour.  Is it worth it? Depends why you became a doctor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool.  How soon can you write prescriptions?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#21]
drjakeb,

Congratulations on completing medical school. As an experienced general surgeon, I can tell you that it just keeps getting harder.  

It is a tough way to live your life but you get to savor each victory.  You don't win them all though and what will test you will be your occasional defeats.

Take time for yourself--it's important--keep shootin'

Best wishes,

Brooks B. M.D. FACS

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks everyone.  I started out this whole process thinking that I would be a family physician, and nothing would sway me from that decision.  I think it was in part because I grew up in a town of 500 people and it was the only type of medicine I had ever experienced.  However, about 1 week into my junior surgery clerkship I felt that surgery was right for me.  If I have to be up at 4am for the rest of my life, I want to be operating.  I am very satisfied that I made the right choice.  

Kansas does not yet have concealed carry, so they won't have to worry about me carrying while on duty.  I sincerely enjoy collecting guns, shooting, and hunting and do not try to conceal that.  In fact, my interest in guns/hunting has made trauma surgery very interesting to me.  If I had to choose a fellowship today, that would be it.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Congratulations.

Now get as good as you can be in whatever field of expertise you choose.

Kuiper
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#24]
[size=3]What's up Doc?[/size=3]
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/CartBugs2.gif[/img]

Congratulations on your recent accomplishment with knocking school out of the way, drjakeb!  I wish you the best of luck on your residency!  Glad to have you here!

[b]-RoadDog[/b]
 [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/scooby1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I got this itch right here....[whacko]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Congratualtions!

I'm starting medical school at LSU Shreveport on August 3rd.  Any good advice?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#27]
oh Ya?  Well my back hurts, and another thing, why does my doctor shy away from giving the test I feel I rightly and justly deserve?  My back hurts.  Can you do something about the damn waiting room?  It's always full of peeps with no insurance!  My back hurts.  So you're a surgeon huh?  Well my back hurts.  Whatdda gonna do about it?!
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#28]
satcong,

I've got a few C-clamps and a pair of pliers.  I can fix you right up!

:)
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Dr Jakeb,

Congratulations.  I know how hard it is to get done.  Now you will get REALLY yelled at by the Attendings (you did know that they went easy on you before because you were a student, didn't you!!)

Did you get your DEA # yet?

And, a few words of advice--
This from the MD, DPM and JD (I think he got all those in reverse order) who taught my Intro to Clinical Med. class.

The best way to make money in medicine now is to stay humble.  The people who are struggling are the ones who are so fixated on doing only the latest, greatest experimental surgeries or procedures that they turn away the bread and butter stuff.  (He holds out his hands--you know EXACTLY how if you have scrubbed before--and says "everyone wants to do this, but the real money is in the basics").

AFARR

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Congrats Doc!

Don't ever forget the lowly medics in the field... we've kept quiet about who does all the life saving and allowed the public to believe the phooey seen on TV shows like ER...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top