Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2001 6:18:58 PM EDT
there is no sunset provision on the high-capacity magazine ban.

Only the "assault weapon" section of the 1994 Omnibus Crime Act has a sunset provision.
View Quote

Is this true?
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe, but it doesnt matter anyway. I'd like to see the AW ban and others sunset, but be realistic...

IT"S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN SO FORGET ABOUT IT!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Maybe, but it doesnt matter anyway. I'd like to see the AW ban and others sunset, but be realistic...

View Quote

Whaaaaaaaaaaa!  [smash][>Q]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The sunset applies to both the AW and the high cap magazines.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Whaaaaaaaaaaa!  [smash][>Q]
View Quote

I know, I dont like it either. But it's reality.

Think about it...

Would you want to be the politician that puts those "evil assault baby killing weapons" back on the street? The media would have a field day and tear apart Bush (assuming it was allowed to sunset). Imagine how much the liberals would flip - and we all know how great they are at brainwashing our braindead country.  

I can just see the headlines now, "Bush says more machine guns, and wants our children DEAD."
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, "sunset" unlikely to happen. that's because the last president with a pair was Teddy Roosevelt, and he was a 19th century kinda guy anyway, you know, a dinosaur....Stock up boys, get 'em while they're getable.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
It definetly puts GWB in a bad spot. If he lets it sunset then the liberals crucify him. If he does'nt, we will. Then we get another commie in the White House. We're Fu**ed either way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I will go on record and say that if they do indeed let it sunset, that I will eat a nasty pair of gym socks.  It ain't going to happen.  Bush doesn't really give a damn about our gun rights, he just pretends to.  Just like his daddy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
W is going to wait until september 14, 2004 to announce that he is signing an executive order repealing the GCA of 1934 and all subsequent gun control laws. He knows that after he does this, he will win the next election by a landslide with the help of gun owners.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:W is going to wait until september 14, 2004 to announce that he is signing an executive order repealing the GCA of 1934 and all subsequent gun control laws. He knows that after he does this, he will win the next election by a landslide with the help of gun owners.
View Quote

If only that would happen. It be a new day of celebration-Firearm Liberty Day
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I agree w/SSgt D. And right now I'm sorry I ever voted for G.W. Clinton since we can't always tell them apart by their actions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Dubya is talking "ban importation of high capacity ammunition clips", he's gonna say no assault weapons.We are all gonna turn against him and Frau Hillary is gonna be our next President. Sunrise,Sunset...High Noon!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:01:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys, I'm depressed again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:29:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By uncle buck:
It definetly puts GWB in a bad spot. If he lets it sunset then the liberals crucify him. If he does'nt, we will.
View Quote

Do you think any politician is really concerned about what we think.  Without media support we can yell our openion from the roof tops and it will go unheard.  We are the tree falling in the forest when no one is there.

Just one "do gooder" can wisper a comment that is anti-gun and the whole world hears it loud and clear.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Why should President Bush kowtow to gun owners?  If the 80 million gun owners in this country had voted for him, we wouldn't have been f*cking around for weeks with recounts.  He knows that all the talk about votes is just that - TALK.  Next presidential election day, most gun owners will sit on their asses again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why should President Bush kowtow to gun owners?  If the 80 million gun owners in this country had voted for him, we wouldn't have been f*cking around for weeks with recounts.  He knows that all the talk about votes is just that - TALK.  Next presidential election day, most gun owners will sit on their asses again.
View Quote

A large part of the problem is that there are a substantial number of gun owners who do not want any more restrictions placed on their ability to purchase and own firearms but would never consider voting for a conservative Republican.  They are extremely liberal in the majority of their thinking.  They give a couple of bucks to the NRA, make a lot of noise on forums like this one and among their friends and think that they have done their part.

As an example, how many members of unions do you think own firearms?  How many unions strongly encourage their members to support, contribute to and vote for those politicians that will support liberal issues like increases in minimum wage, unemployment compensation, public employees right to strike etc.

They voice their "strong opinions" in places like this forum but when it comes to following through in the voting booth their vote goes for the liberal Democrat that they have been told will give them more "free stuff".  Then they make ridiculous statements about not giving up their guns without a fight, meaning that they will shoot anyone, law enforcement or military,  who comes to confiscate their guns.

We currently do not have enough support or a strong enough voice to ever get back those rights that we have lost.  It is also very doubtful that we are going to be successful in the future in preventing the loss of the ones we still have.  Not as long as we continue along the path we are on now.  

It is going to take more than just voting for a pro gun politician. (They are becoming fewer and fewer all the time.) The only way we are going to be able to prevent the loss of our rights is to organize and go out and find people who are pro gun and get them to run for office at every level of politics.  Every office from dog catcher to President.  Support them financially, knock on doors during their campaign, work the polling places, stuff envelopes and anything else needed to get them elected.  It is the person running for "dog catcher" today who may be the next candidate for a seat in Congress or even the Presidency tomorrow.

We will never have media support, we will never change the minds of those currently in power.  For us to "win" we must start at the grass roots level and go out and find and support those people who support us.

How many of you have actually done that?  How many would be willing to give of their time and money to do that during the next election?  How many of you are going to "blow smoke" just to sound good on this forum?

Can 80 million gun owners make a difference??????  If so then ask yourself why we haven't so far!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I am not sure what is going to happen with the federal assualt weapons ban law, but I would like to remind everyone that the house has passed repeal of the law a few years back.  All is not lost yet.  With all of the hoopla surrounding the success of the NRA, each individual member should try to sign-up members and be more politically active, i.e. during the next election cycle find out who is pro-gun and campaign for that candidate, and who is anti and acitively campaign against that candidate.  The NRA can't do it all, it is an individual responsibility too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top