Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2004 7:46:38 PM EDT

Kerry surveillance files stolen

A decorated veteran, John Kerry became a spokesman for Vietnam Veterans Against the War.

Historian: 'Odds are in favor' of political motive in theft
Saturday, March 27, 2004 Posted: 10:06 PM EST(0306 GMT)

(CNN) -- FBI documents detailing government surveillance of John Kerry in the early 1970s have been stolen from the home of a historian in a suburb of San Francisco, California.

Gerald Nicosia, who spent more than a decade collecting the information, told CNN in a telephone interview that three of 14 boxes of documents plus a number of loose folders -- hundreds of pages -- were stolen Thursday afternoon.

"It was a very clean burglary. They didn't break any glass. They didn't take anything like cameras sitting by. It was a very professional job," Nicosia said.

"Was it a thrill-seeker who wanted a piece of history? It could be," Nicosia said. "You'd think there was a very strong political motivation for taking those files. The odds are in favor of that."

Nicosia reported the theft Friday to the Twin Cities Police Department, which covers Larkspur and Corte Madera in Marin County, where he lives. The police report found no sign of forced entry.

Nicosia, author of "Home At War: A History of the Vietnam Veterans Movement," had obtained about 20,000 pages of FBI documents through Freedom of Information Act requests.

The documents center on FBI surveillance of Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW), which Kerry represented as national spokesman. In April 1971, the decorated veteran testified in televised hearings before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and led a large protest of veterans in the capital.

Nicosia estimated that 20 percent of his documents are missing.

"It's heartbreaking, after 11 years trying to get them," he said.

Kerry's antiwar efforts drew the attention of President Nixon, as revealed in recordings of White House conversations obtained by CNN from the National Archives, and of J. Edgar Hoover's FBI, as the documents revealed.

"I hadn't gotten a chance to review them all. I am sure there were some things about John Kerry that weren't known," Nicosia said. "These files would also cast a bad light on the ... Republican Party. This surveillance happened under the Nixon White House and Nixon FBI."

Nicosia showed about 50 pages of the documents to CNN last week.

The FBI followed Kerry as he traveled the country, speaking out against the war and raising money for the cause. Kerry, a Navy lieutenant, was honorably discharged upon his return from Vietnam with three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star.

Kerry, who obtained his personal FBI files years ago, knew of the surveillance, but the VVAW files obtained by Nicosia detail more extensive surveillance than the senator from Massachusetts might have realized.

"It is almost surreal to learn the extent to which I was followed by the FBI," Kerry said in a written statement earlier this week. "The experience of having been spied on for the act of engaging in peaceful patriotic protest makes you respect civil rights and the Constitution even more."

Kerry was seen as a tactical "conservative" among the antiwar veterans, the FBI documents say. The 27-year-old typically opposed demonstrations that would lead to arrests.

"A review of the subject's file reveals nothing whatsoever to link the subject with any violent type activity," said a May 1972 FBI memo about Kerry provided by his campaign.

The memo recommended that the surveillance end because Kerry had quit VVAW and was launching a political career.

What is Kerry trying to cover up? Bush, as president, would already have access to these files. So it would have to be the Democrats, regardless of CNN's spin, who would have stolen them to cover something. What? They knew what they were looking for, or they would have taken all 14 boxes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2004 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I know this will be swept under the rug, I'm just curious to see how.
Link Posted: 3/27/2004 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It gets BETTER. CNN helped cover the theievs!

This from KCBS radio via Drudge:
[url]http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/kpix/20040327/lo_kpix/9582[/url]
FBI Papers on Kerry Stolen from Marin County Author  
Sat Mar 27,12:38 PM ET  

Sue McGuire for KCBS-740 AM

(KCBS)--A North Bay man who had uncovered evidence the FBI (news - web sites) tailed presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites) for months in 1971 says some of the files were stolen this week.

Author Gerald Nicosia told police Friday that three of fourteen boxes of once secret FBI files he obtained through the Freedom of Information Act were taken from his Corte Madera home some time Thursday.

He says investigators do not have much hope in finding the missing files. "They said it would be almost impossible to try to track fingerprints because we did have CNN people handling the boxes and with the amount of people that have handled the boxes it's almost impossible to get any useable prints off of it. Basically they showed me how the guys got into my house but beyond that there's not much they can do," Nicosia said.

It was the Los Angeles Times that first reviewed some of the author's documents and reported it in the March 23rd edition that FBI closely monitored Kerry's post war activism.

(Copyright 2004 by KCBS. All rights reserved.)

For more Bay Area news and information, visit kpix.com and www.kcbs.com.

View Quote

CNN reporters got there BEFORE police did and then tampered with the evidence...

More
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1106015/posts[/url]
Link Posted: 3/27/2004 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Watergate II (but this time it's the Dems, not the Pres)?
Link Posted: 3/27/2004 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Since CNN is involved there is no WAY anyone can say it was a Republican dirty op...
Link Posted: 3/27/2004 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]

How did CNN reporters get there before the FBI and wouldn't they be arrested for tampering with evidence?

Link Posted: 3/27/2004 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How did CNN reporters get there before the FBI and wouldn't they be arrested for tampering with evidence?

View Quote

FBI has never been there. Its a simple burglary, a state offense, and CNN people got there before the local police did. The documents were declassified under the FOIA, I am not aware it is a Federal crime to steal them off of the recipient...
Link Posted: 3/27/2004 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
How did CNN get there first?  It's all a ploy by Kerry to help keep his records out of public light.  Now any time Bush brings up Kerry's past Kerry will claim that Bush is responsible for the break in that stole the "secret" documents.
Link Posted: 3/27/2004 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
How did CNN get there first?
View Quote

Three choices:
A. They stole it.
B. The author called them first cause its all a setup
C. Police Scanner.

They are going to claim C I am sure. But most likely A or B.

GW would not need to steal them, he has access, that means that Kerry, who already possess his personal FBI file and has for some years, didn't know till recently that he was in a seperate file as well for the VVAW as a organization and untill much sooner that it implicated him in- something embarrasing. Although I would think being a part of VVAW was embarassing enough.

Perhaps though there is information as to why survailance was called off when he decided to run for office?
Link Posted: 3/28/2004 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump for the day shift.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#10]
btt
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought this was going to be a thread about a video of Kerry and Edwards having man sex.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought this was going to be a thread about a video of Kerry and Edwards having man sex.

ewwwwww now i have that stuck in my head
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember this.  I also remember that it dropped off the radar about 2 minutes later.

Google news search turned up nothing, so no new stories about this in the past 30 days.

Anyone else got any followup?  Sounds a little too convenient that this story died.

Gasp!  You mean the "unbiased" media wouldn't follow up on something that might damage a Democrat?!?

Link Posted: 7/19/2004 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#14]
what a mess....
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ewwwwww now i have that stuck in my head

If you can even imagine that, your screen name fits!
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Reporters won't touch this, just like todays bit about Clintons former NSA taking files from the National Archives and destroying them will disappear in 24hrs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Saturday, March 27, 2004

It's ALREADY been 'swept under the rug'.

Now watch as they do the same with this Sandy Berger fiasco.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
The media might sweep it under the rug, but we sure as hell can do something about it. Spread these stories (and sources) to everyone you know. Make some noise. Word spreads fast in this age of electronics. The louder our voice, the more people will hear. Eventually, the story will become so big that they can't avoid covering it. Yes, a group 55,000 strong (that's us) is enough manpower to set that all into motion.

I have already emailed these stories to 10 other people. They'll each probably forward it to 10 more people. That 100 people right there, just from me alone. I am going to post it at other boards too, where people of all types hang out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#19]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Kerry and Edwards use the same hair spray.  That's been swept under the rug also by the news media.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top