Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2001 11:44:15 AM EDT
[size=3]Ok maybe some of you Arizona people can answer a few questions for me. My brother is taking a teaching job in Phoenix, he is 24 and is leaving the nest for the first time....I heard that Phoenix is as bad as L.A., is this true?  What kind of gun laws are out there? Pistol permit, assault bans??? We are from NewYork so you all know what we are up against up here but I need to know if theres anything I need make him aware of.  He is going to be teaching in a new K-3rd grade school that is 90% hispanic, I am not sure where it is located all he tells me is Phoenix.  Guess Im looking for some info on the state. Thanks for all the responses in advance.

Mike[/size=3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Phoenix is a nice city.  That's one of the few places I would ever consider moving to (in the U.S.).  Arizona is also a very nice, scenic state.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
KlingtonHtr, Phoenix has the best traffic of any major U.S. city and the lowest per capita violent crime rate for any major city.

Phoenix does have violent crime though and most of it is in the southern and southwestern part of the city. Violent crime in the northern and northeastern part of the city is fairly rare.

Violent crime is almost none existent where we live though we live 35min outside of Phoenix.

We are a must issue state for CCW and you can also open carry though being a teacher your brother cannot do either at work.

Private sales of firearms are legal.

We are a class III friendly state also.

There are lots of jobs here. Last i heard AZ had the lowest unemployment rate in the nation and more employers are moving out of Ca every week. I just hope none of the liberal employees move out here.

Teachers just received a large pay raise.

People here love America and freedom and they know what freedom is.

I love this state.

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Arizona has concealed weapon permits as well as legal open carry.  Legal to carry handgun in auto with CCW or holstered or in glove box.  Check the book "Arizona Gun Laws."  I'll look up where he can find it and post later.  Mention to your brother to be very careful at intersections in Phoenix because we drive about 70 mph through them on green, yellow, and part of red (actually is a problem here) with many T-bone intersection accidents.  It does get a little warm in the summer (120 in the shade and no shade).
Ken
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you hear about the wild savages (cannibals) and flesh eating viruses?  I have lived here for a while now and I am still alive, whew....
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Arizona is probably one of the most firearms friendly states, after Vermont of course. Shall issue permits, no bans on weapons that I am aware of and you can even own automatic knives.
I would suggest that your brother stop in any gun store ( lots of them ) and pick up two books,
1 - "Arizona gun owners guide"
2 - "In the gravest extreme" by Massad Ayoob
    ( I think this book should come with every firearm sold )
I am from N.Y. myself, family still lives there, and would never even consider moving back.
  The heat can be tough getting used to, just remember to drink water every other breath in the summer and he should be alright.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a question for those of you in AZ [or others who are familiar with the state].

Aren't there parts of the state, like Glendale, which have moderate/cool temperatures year round?

What are the different parts of AZ like as far as climate and employment goes??

Thanks In Advance!!

Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok this is all putting my mind at ease, after my buddy giving me a scare.....I told my brother that I would like him to get something to keep him safe at home (he's not really into firearms, kinda liberal also, he's a teacher....)he tells me he doesn't need anything because he is going to live in a condo!!!  I still think he should get a cheapo Mossberg or something.  What can I tell him to change his mind????

Mike
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Misterhemi, Just take a look at a good map and you will see that the elevation of a good portion of the state is above 3,600ft in elevation and the year round temps are fairly nice year round during the day. I for one don’t like it to get under 50 at night so I live where it’s warmer.

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Misterhemi - Glendale borders Phoenix, and is basically the same metropolitan area. All of the really big employers are in the Phoenix area.  Prescott & Flagstaff have a nicer climate in the summer, but they get that icky white stuff all over the place in the winter.

-Andy

"Can you describe the suspect?" "Um, it was some guy in a hat...."
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been living near Phoenix for two weeks or so now, a recent California escapee.
After only 2 weeks, I feel better about the entire Country of America than I did before.
It'll take a while to get all the PRK brainwashing out of my system(I lived there for 30 years), but AZ is like another country compared to California.
I feel like a lifer who's been set free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top