Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2001 5:11:47 AM EDT
For those of you that carry concealed on the beltline, how do you deal with sitting down in public restrooms? I mean, where do you put your weapon (I'll clarify that as handgun) or do you just leave it in your holster? This has been an dilemna ever since I got my ccw permit two years ago, and I was just wondering how the rest of you handle it. Especially considering Robert Blake allegedly leaving his gun in a restaurant - a mistake I can identify with having left a $3000 Motorola Saber III in a restroom (talk about s*&t happening).

-Andy

"Can you describe the suspect?" "Um, it was some guy in a hat...."
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a fobius paddle holster, or the Belt clip on my Kel-tec, or the Barami hip grip on my Colt DS.  All of these allow you to simply take the weapon and carrier out of your belt and do your business without loosing control of your weapon.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
If there is no other option, I take off my covering garment, take off the gun AND holster and wrap them in the covering garment, which I then set inside my pants.
When possible and available, however, I use the handicapped stall, which often has a baby changing table in it that can be used as a gun-stand for the duration.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#3]
1.  Try to defecate at home as much as is practical.
2.  Get the end stall by the wall (also usually the handicapped stall).
3.  Keep the handgun in your non-wiping hand.
4.  Remember not to let your pants get into that little puddle of urine that is so often on the floor in front of public commodes, pull them down only as far as necessary.  The weight of your gun will often pull them down far enough to get them soiled if you aren't careful.(see #3)
5.  Be aware if there is somebody in the stall next to you.  Pickpockets have been known to reach under the partition and snatch a wallet.  Why not your gun? (see #3)
6. Remember not to get wiping hand and gun hand mixed up (see #3).
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The method that I was taught and use is to remove the gun from the holster and place it inside my pants between my legs, quick access and you won't forget it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread appears every couple of months or so and always leads to funny stories. The last time I used a public crapper my keltec p32 was too light to drag pants down. I've heard one story (possibly on this board) where the guy dropped his gun on the floor and it slid into the next stall. His neighbor simply kicked it back to him. CCW can always lead to such mishaps (I know of two people dropping their guns when reaching to the bottom shelf at the grocery store!)
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I usually just take off my hat and set it over my Glock.  That way, people only see the hat.

Sometimes I will unsnap the holster (Bianchi nylon with snaps instead of regular belt loops) and put the whole thing in my drawers when I sit down.  Other times I take it out of the holster, put it in my drawers, and hang my hat over the empty holster.

One of my Sheriff's Dept. instructors was taking a leak at a urinal when he was accosted by someone he had once arrested.  My instructor got out of it okay (there's something about having a Glock 21 shoved in a bad-guy's face that tends to discourage them).  Ever since then he goes inside the stall to take a leak, and that is something that I do as well.

And that's my $.02 on making wee-wee and poo-poo when carrying concealed....;)
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lord, has this forum sunk to a new all time low? Great tips on how to use public restrooms while CCW... what next?

CCW while visiting with crack whores?
View Quote

So, in your estimate, going to a public lavratory is equivalent to visiting a crack whore?  Would you care to rethink that?

I know SomeGuy is serious but it's pretty much common sense. I own a truck and find that it's a fine place to leave a pistol temporarily.
View Quote

So, you're in a mall, you feel nature call and you are going to LEAVE the mall, walk perhaps as much as a HALF A MILE through the parking lot to your truck, leave the gun there, then WALK BACK to the public restroom (assuming you haven't soiled yourself already...when nature calls, it's usually a bit impatient and not wont to wait for an hour), then walk BACK to the truck, put the pistol BACK ON, and walk BACK into the mall?
But you think SomeGuy's question was SILLY????
Dude...
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I usually just take off my hat and set it over my Glock.  That way, people only see the hat.
View Quote

Ahh..... How about closing the stall door.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#12]
i avoid taking a dump in public restrooms at all costs.
just the thought of sitting on those nasty seats is enough to make my skin crawl.
the only exceptions i would consider is vacation or camping when public facilities are the only thing available or explosive diarreah.

i usually carry either a Kel-Tec P11 (9mm) or a Kel-Tec P32 (.32acp)
both have belt clips installed.  the P32 is light enough that it could be tucked into a shirt pocket or into the neck of my shirt.  somebody also makes a neck holster for it which would be handy for situations like these.  i also have a north amereican arms mini revolver that also has a neck sheath.  both guns are so handy you have no excuse for being without one.
both of these could also be tucked into a pocket or carried in a pocket holster.

you could leave your carry pistol with your wife or girlfriend and hit the bathroom with a mini backup pistol, if you feel that it might be awkward.

a larger pistol could also be hung by the lanyard loop around the neck.
or you could hang it by the triggerguard on the coathook on the back of the door.

heres a thought: you could wear an empty ankle holster and transition to the ankle holster while doing your business.  if you wear boots and have a long enough barrel you could just tuck it into your boot top.
or... you could wear one of those shirts with an armpit holster built in and transition to that.

just be thankful that you're not a woman that always has to sit down to use the potty.  not to mention that womens bodies and clothing make it harder to conceal a pistol anyway.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I heard a story about a cop that did this:
...  or you could hang it by the triggerguard on the coathook on the back of the door.
View Quote

Seems he usually carried his 1911 tucked in his backside waistband w/o holster.  I believe the Texicans call this "Mexican style".  He had sometime during the day managed to flick the safety off.  When he went to retrieve his pistol from the coat hook, he gripped the frame, depressing the grip safety and lifted it just enough to have the hook hit the trigger.  Needless to say, it discharged.  Several times.  Luckily, the john was in the basement with a concrete ceiling overhead.  No one hurt except his dignity and a distinct ringing in his ears.

Norm
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Well.  
I make it a point to only frequent restrooms having a proper attendant.  One hands ones' roscoe to the attendant, and fo' a dolla' he polish it fo' you whist you pee.

Civilized, what?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Celt -- ROTFLMAO!!
Seriously, Hongkong2 does it the way I've always done it.  Some restrooms have their paper in a rectangular box that is enough of a shelf that I can set it there.  Otherwise, your pants are at your knees and you set it in your pants, between your knees.  If you don't use a paddle holster though, the other concern is someone seeing your holster on your belt.  For that, some artful draping of the folds usually solves the problem.

As for the urinal situation, this was once posed as a question in tactics, I think on the Glocktalk board.  My response when acosted while using the urinal is to immediately turn around and piss on his leg.  His shock should disrupt his plan enough for me to simultaneously draw my handgun and more permanently solve the problem.  That is, if the mere sight of my major caliber unit doesn't cause him to flee before I can shoot him.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
..........or explosive diarreah.
View Quote

[:X*]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Never use the urinal in a public restroom, use a stall and lock the door behind you. Your back is somewhat covered and you'll have more time to react if somthing does go down.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Someguy--- Real men hold it in their teeth.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#19]
put it in the toilet for safe keeping.

[grenade]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Like hongkong2 said.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Never use the urinal in a public restroom, use a stall and lock the door behind you. Your back is somewhat covered and you'll have more time to react if somthing does go down.
View Quote

Now that's paranoia!
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#22]
SomeDudeInAHat - where are you are taking a crap? I mean seriously, do you squat and make contact in some gawd-for-saken at rest stop (fag meet and greet)? I mean Jesus, if it is that bad you should have your right foot against the stall door, weapon in right hand holding on the center of the door and the 'Mountain Money' (tp) in your left. Otherwise, you should pinch that peeker off and hold out for a McDonalds.

Then again, if your packin' a phone worth 3 large - maybe you gotta worry about gettin' whacked taking crap anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Just check it in to the local mall ninja for safe keeping before you use the bathroom. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Now that's paranoia!
View Quote

Hey Gunrunner, how about I drop you off down on MLK way and you ask the nice store man for the rest room key and we'll see how long it takes before someone grabs you by the hair, slams your face into that nice chrome Sloan valve, breaks your knee on the way down and walks out with your $, watch and gun.  Paranoid?! I'm not paranoid, I carry a gun! [heavy]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top