Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2001 3:05:13 PM EDT
[url]www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/05/20010514-2.html[/url]

"In addition to strict enforcement of existing gun laws, the President supports expanding instant background checks to close the gun show loophole and banning the importation of high-capacity ammunition clips."

Right from the White House. Looks like he wants to be a one-term president. A chip off the old block.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
SSSSShit I new it was comeing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
HE CAN KISS MY 2004 VOTE GOODBYE.  FCKN TRAITOR.  STUPID REPLUBLICANS.  THEY TRY TO BE NICE TO PEOPLE LIKE THE GODDAMN GUN GRABBERS SO THEY CAN APPEAR "MODERATE" YET THESE SAME PEOPLE THEY TRY TO APPEASE WILL NEVER VOTE FOR THEM ANYWAY.  FUCK THEM ALL.  HELLO LIBERTARIAN PARTY.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Don't blame me, I voted for Browne....
View Quote

You and the rest of the 1% of the population that voted for Harry.  All you did was make it harder for Dubya to get elected - this time.  

OK, so G.W. isn't everything we want in a President.  Gore would have been better?  Even equally bad?  How about Nader?  Browne had NO chance to win, and you [i]knew it[/i] when you cast your vote.  Nobody who voted for Browne was going to vote for Gore.  I wish it weren't so, but there it is.

If Jesse Ventura ever runs for President, I might vote for him.  I don't expect him to, though, because the guy seems intelligent enough to understand the public rectal examination he will be put through, and the media ridicule that will be directed at him for daring to oppose the party system.  But I'd sure as hell like to see him in the Senate.

Ladies and gentlemen of this board - Harry isn't electable.  Even if he was, having a Libertarian President is useless unless he has backing in Congress.  You want to affect change?  Get some Libertarian Representatives and Senators elected first.  Have them put pressure on the President - no matter which party he (or she) belongs to.  Then of the best of them, find a candidate that can actually be elected.  Until that time, casting your vote for a Libertarian Presidential candidate is tantamount to aiding and abetting the enemy.

My $0.02.  Flame away. [pyro]

Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]
But don't you understand? If gore was elected we would have this in the first 100 days!  You just threw your vote away voting for that loser Harry Browne. Don't you understand that bush let you keep your rights for 15 days more than gore would have!!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know why any of you are that worried? Bush's gun violence laws are leaned more toward prosecuting criminals that anything else. This is what groups like the NRA has been pushing for years.
As far as closing the gun show loophole. What loophole? Where I live, there isn't no instant buying of firearms from gun shows. If there is, I hope they do make a law. I rather wait a day or three to pick up my firearm than let some criminal minded person get one instantly.
Importation of high cap magazines? It doesn't say anything about domestic sales. High cap mags are pre-banned anyways so what's the difference there. Stock up on used USGI or cheap mags that are still out.
You guy's act like Bush proposed licensing and registration and banning everything except BB guns.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I want to encourage all of us here to do something else in addition to letting it out on here....

Let's put our thoughts on the desks of our  elected officials.  Use the process of our (for the time being) free society and kick up some dust!

I don't like the sound of some of those statements either but am certainly going to avail myself of my Constitutional rights and let my voice be heard!

What was it that somebody famous said about "good men doing nothing..."?

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Good, make em hurt, and if they are wise they will look to see why we don't vote for them and make the changes we want to get our votes. You know, if Bush had lost by a margin smaller than the Libertarian vote I bet the Republican party would be scrambling to adopt a pro-freedom platform that would bring us to them. Sometimes you have to hurt someone to get a point across.

I agree. Not many people stop to realize this. Some Republicans - not mentioning any names - (McCain), are slowly moving toward the left. I hope the Libertarian party grows to the point where it becomes a threat to the Republicans to bring them back to where they belong.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As far as closing the gun show loophole. What loophole? Where I live, there isn't no instant buying of firearms from gun shows.
View Quote
"Closing the gunshow loophole" is gun grabber speak for banning ALL private sales"
View Quote

If there is, I hope they do make a law. I rather wait a day or three to pick up my firearm than let some criminal minded person get one instantly.
View Quote
You don't mind being treated like a criminal just because you want to defend your family? What other "reasonable restrictions" will you submit to to "keep guns out of the hands of criminals"?
View Quote

I don't know about you, but a friend of a friend of mine was shot and killed not too long ago by a guy who bought his firearms without going through a proper background check.
So excuse me if I am a person with the patience to wait. You comment as if in the next 3 days some guy wants to kill you and you can't wait until May 17 to protect yourself and your family.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know about you, but a friend of a friend of mine was shot and killed not too long ago by a guy who bought his firearms without going through a proper background check.
So excuse me if I am a person with the patience to wait. You comment as if in the next 3 days some guy wants to kill you and you can't wait until May 17 to protect yourself and your family.
View Quote

The NRA has documented cases where people who were waiting for "permission" take into possession a gun for protection were subsequently killed by criminals during your cherished waiting period/background check.

If your friend was killed by an unlicensed driver would you make it mandatory that any and all car buyers also undergo a waiting period and background check?
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Quoted:
View Quote

The NRA has documented cases where people who were waiting for "permission" take into possession a gun for protection were subsequently killed by criminals during your cherished waiting period/background check.
If your friend was killed by an unlicensed driver would you make it mandatory that any and all car buyers also undergo a waiting period and background check?
View Quote

Brog is the voice of reason. The only way it
could work would be that a person whose life was
threatened would be able to purchase a gun
immediately with a simple declaration to the fact.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Critical Mass!
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 12:34:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I wouldn't but showing a valid DL should prove driving proficiency.  Even though we all know how easy it is to get a DL.

Being an unlicensed driver is against the law.  

There is not one law that I'm aware of that can prevent a determined unlicensed driver from getting behind the wheel and pulling a "Carmaggedon" on someone.

If "private party sales" were abolished, a determined crook can obviously get firearms through other means.  Theft comes to mind.  

"Private sales" are cool and I like them, but there is really no way to tell what kind of individual you are selling it to.  Unless of course you personally know the person.

I think what those f*cks really want is more of a paper trail.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Aren't all of the cute little serfs, i mean citizens just darling....it would take too long
to answer all of the arguments on this page, but I will address one...unliscensed driving is not illegal....several cases have been tried and found that you can not liscense a right...although in the current climate everything is becoming a favor from our masters.

L. Neil Smith for president----go Arizona
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Alan Keyes is not a fibber and he surly would not have sold us down river. So in the primaries of 2002 remember I said so and vote for him too.

As likable as Bush is; He believes in a limited government controlling and monitoring our lives and this is not a good thing.

THISISME
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#19]
In addition to strict enforcement of existing gun laws, the President supports expanding instant background checks to close the gun show loophole and banning the importation of high-capacity ammunition clips.
-------

Uhh, the only clips I use are stripper clips (10 rounds) and garand clips (8 rounds)

Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"In addition to strict enforcement of existing gun laws, the President supports expanding instant background checks to close the gun show loophole and banning the importation of high-capacity ammunition clips."
View Quote

I would support this if it meant a guarantee of the AW ban sunsetting.

Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#21]
What he says and what he does are 2 different things.  Bush has to appear moderate and unfortunately he will have to make some compromises to get his agenda passed.  I dont think he will push this issue, and the 50 repubs in the senate wont go for it.  I think this policy statement is just for show.  Hopefully Im not wrong.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#22]
iam not even going to vote in the next election
its a wast of time. you guys CANNOT blame anyone even yourself's! its nobody's fault. bush did said in his election what he's going to do; now here it is. i think there will be a ban on some other guns has well. it does say in the bible about the new world order; dissarming is the VERY first step they do. get rid of the people's weapons get them defenceless, then BOOM. the sign's are here if you are too blind or don't want to see it then sorry about your luck. UN's interest in small arms. chi-com's dissarming. interest in banning weapons here in the US by every foregn nation. weapon's buyback
program's in other country's. the list goes on
and on. oh! one point i want to make i never did say go dig a bunker and hide because the sky's falling.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know about you, but a friend of a friend of mine was shot and killed not too long ago by a guy who bought his firearms without going through a proper background check.  So excuse me if I am a person with the patience to wait.  You comment as if in the next 3 days some guy wants to kill you and you can't wait until May 17 to protect yourself and your family.
View Quote

OK.  Since you don't mind waiting, it will be 30 days for you.  No, make it 60.

Norm
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#24]
MG_ME:  Instead of not voting, why not show you're displeasure with the two biggest parties and vote third party?  The Libertarians are the third largest party (and growing).  At least that way your vote shows up as one against the elephants and the asses.

Garand Shooter:  Was it you that suggested the "Don't blame me, I voted for Browne" stickers?  Do these exist?

[Damn, I wish I could spell/type!]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Aren't all of the cute little serfs, i mean citizens just darling....it would take too long
to answer all of the arguments on this page, but I will address one...unliscensed driving is not illegal....several cases have been tried and found that you can not liscense a right...although in the current climate everything is becoming a favor from our masters.

L. Neil Smith for president----go Arizona
View Quote

I was under the impression that driving is a privilege.  Seemed to be that way for quite a while now.

Do you have a driver's license?

If you have a DL then you have been issued a license for your "right" to drive.

Unless you don't have a DL then that's a different story.  Might be hard to eXplain it when you get in an accident and have no insurance.

Where does it specifically mention driving in the Bill Of Rights?  I am quite aware of the Second Amendment.

Please point me to the proper documentation where this "right" to drive eXists.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top