Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2001 2:35:55 PM EDT
Why do dogs bark at uniforms? I conducted an informal test the other day. A friend who works for UPS, who also delivers to me(small town)always gets an unfriendly reception from my dog. When he comes over in civilian clothes the dog reacts in a friendly way. I've seen this behavior in other dogs but never really understood it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You got me.  Im LE and was never bit until I was working.  Walked up to the door and the owner says "oh he will not bite".  Next this I know he hanging off the back of my leg.  Another time I was called to a vicious dog and found a loose german shepard.  I was about 60 feet from him and he began chasing me as I ran away backards.  

I love dogs and regretably he met his end when I intorduced him to my glock .40.  Owner told me he had never seen this dog act like that before.  Later found out the same dog had attacked a female jogger in another town a year before.  

Ive had about 5 dog problems while on the job.

Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
They asociat a uniform with the Gubmint. All dog hate the gubmint,Feds,LEO.They are just like use.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Dogs can sense hostility, even when the person isn't outwardly showing it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Falcon2; Interesting theory. And just how does a dog associate a uniform with the government?

FLAG2442; I've got a G27 and I just want to know...how many rounds did it take to change gs's attitude?
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If a cop came into my yard and shot my dog that was protecting his property then that cop would get what he gave, a bullet in the head. I don't care if your wearing a uniform or not, you don't start sh*t on my property and think your going to get away with it. Now if you drive up and honk your horn I'll be more than happy to chain up my dog.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Where is that Mail Man?  
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1391821&a=10390076&p=44629037.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Where is that Mail Man?  
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1391821&a=10390076&p=44629037[/img].
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Tomorrow is UPS day. Gubmint thugs.
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1391821&a=10390076&p=38610881[/img].
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
' cause dogs is smart :P
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Y'all on the wrong track.

Dogs are predatory carnivores by nature.  They react to the stimulus of weak prey or easy food stuffs.

A person in a uniform smells strongly of a dog's prefered foodstuff--fats (there are strong evolutionary and biochemical reasons why carnivores prefer fats over protein or carbs).  

Since most cops are doughnut munchers (yes, the secret is out!!), the smell of the cooking grease comes to permeate their clothing--specifically the uniform where it rubs against the seats in the squad cars.  Even non-doughnut munching cops sit in the same cars that have been used for years by doughnut munchers and sitting at the same desks, etc.

That is why the dogs go immediately for the seat of the cop's pants.

Why do the Dogs go for UPS and other uniformed personell?  Look in a UPS truck and check out the Dorito's/Lay's/McDonald's FF stains on the seat to see why.

(Sorry LEO's it just slipped out)
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Now, that's funny! I'll have to print this out for my UPS and LEO friends.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#12]
i dont know why but,my sheperds hate the mailman!
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Ken,

It took just one right behind the head to drop the 80# shepard.  And if the dog was in his yard nighthawk and not chasing me down the street I would have been more friendly.  The dog just chased a woman and her 4 year old into there house before there dog chased him away.And if nighthawk ever set foot on my property he would have a 150# Great Dane on his ass.   Boy I will have to lay off the donuts affar thanks for the advice and then sense of humor :)
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]
This dog was fenced in.
The officer entered the property while
pursuing a suspect.

Police officer fatally shoots pit bull

Monday, May 14, 2001

Associated Press
EAST HARTFORD — A town police officer is claiming self-defense in the fatal shooting of a pit bull Saturday night, but the dog owner's family says the officer was never in danger.

Officer William Proulx was on a foot chase with a suspect who had left the scene of a nearby car accident when he and his police dog encountered the pit bull, said Officer Hugo Benettieri, a police spokesman.

"Apparently the pit bull was charging at the officer and his canine," Benettieri told WFSB-TV. "At that point, apparently Officer Proulx felt that his life was in danger ... and discharged one round into the dog and killed the dog."

Members of the owner's family said they were upset that the shooting happened in front of dozens of children and adults gathered at a barbecue. They also said they were angry because Proulx reportedly said, "It's your problem," after the shooting.

Proulx was cleared in the fatal shooting of a teenager in the early 1990s. His former police dog, Bruno, was cleared of numerous incidents of biting crime suspects.

Family members said the dog was friendly and would not have harmed the officer.

Police are investigating the incident and the family's allegations
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never had to pepper spray a person yet in a little over 3 years of being an LEO.  But I have went through a few cans all on dogs.  I hate it when your checking alarm calls and they hide from you up until the point you get in the backyard!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#16]
What explains K-9 officers then?
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By garden weasel:
This dog was fenced in.
The officer entered the property while
pursuing a suspect.

Police officer fatally shoots pit bull

Police are investigating the incident and the family's allegations
View Quote

Nothing will happen as they ALWAYS protect their own.

They want police dogs given legal human status but "it's your problem" if they decide to kill a member of your family???? Ok how about this: PETA should be put in charge of a special IA section that investigates pet involved shootings.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm in my work costume (desert BDUs) more than my civies. My wifes dogs have barked at me in civies many times over the years.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I've lived and worked around animals of all types most of my life.  I've dealt with everything from domestic dogs to golden eagles and bears, and one thing I've learned is that just like us, they are all individuals.  There's sometimes no apparent rhyme or reason to what they do.  Oddly enough, I never really felt the need for having a big, protective dog around until I moved to the city.  Bears and rattlesnakes never bothered me, even when I was unarmed, I never really felt the need.  Now that I live in a big city, the Glock is as handy as the law allows, and I really wish I had the space for a big, loyal, protective mutt.  Two things that seem to deter the bad guys most are a big dog, and an armed victim.  

editted because I can't seem to type properly [:p]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#20]
dogs bark / bite uniforms because they interpret a uniform as an un-natural state of dress for humans.  like birds who see shiney cars as un-natural and poop on them, dogs see uniforms as un-natural and threatening.  we as humans have been trained to look at uniforms a certain way as we have become domesticated and programmed to do so.  the uniform carries a tremendous amount of psychological weight and assumption for humans.  to the dog - they see it as un-normal and therefore a threat.

so if we go with the dog's view, uniforms are evil!  we put on a uniform and suddenly we are given 'powers' - a dog puts on a uniform and he's just wondering what's on his fur!!

steve
ps if all soldiers were naked, we'd have alot less wars.
pps - if all cops were naked, there would be less tickets issued and people shot, and guess what?  they would be nicer too.(not saying that there are not alot of nice cops out there already)
ppps - take any mean guy and take away his clothes and or uniform and he would be alot easier to deal with.
pppps - i think all politicians should be naked as they always claim they have nothing to hide!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top