Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2001 2:42:23 AM EDT
This may belong in legal, but this post could cover most of us here so I posted it in General discussion.

Say a gunowner had a post Sept. 94 firearm.  He finds a legal to own preban Hi-cap.  Does putting them together violate the Fineswine AW law?  
An FFL holder that I know, says yes.  I thought that this language was in the oringinal bill, but the NRA got it tossed out.
Hell you can even buy post 94 firearms with hi-caps, or could at one time.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The pistol that immediately comes to mind is the Para Ordnance line.  I am seriously considering a P16-40, which holds 16 rounds of 40 caliber.  Great for match shooting.  These NIB pistols come with a coupon, which allows you to purchase 2 highcaps directly from the manufacturer.  Anyone familiar with this program?  Sounds like a plan to me, but I want to stay legal.

edited because I just woke up and can't proofread with one eye open.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Any preban mag is legal to own and use in a postban firearm.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#3]
As far as I know it just can't be sold with a hi-cap mag but if you buy one after the fact it really shouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The law ONLY states that no more 10+ capacity clips can be MANUFACTURED after the ban (or imported if they were manufactured after the ban). It says NOTHING about putting preban mags in postban guns.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a NIB Beretta 92FS Inox that came with a factory 10-round and a factory [b]15-round[/b] mag.  Apparently if the mag was manufactured before 9-94 it is still legal to sell with a new gun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
True, except ,it seems ,for the MISR AK variant; "the use of a magazine other than the one provided herein may put you in violation of BATF regulations"  
View Quote
thats to make the required AMERCIAN parts to get around the import of that rifle  they probly had the mag as some of there non imported parts
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]
As long the the magazine was made before 9/94 and your putting it in a US made weapon , it's ok. That's why the AK's you see that will take hi-cap mags advertise that thet have enough US made parts to be legal. Until manufactures figured that out, companies like Romarm(Romania) came out with single stack AK's for a short while.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#11]
anothergene here it is plain and simple for you.you can use any(unless you have a state ,county or city law)20,30 and up mag as long as it was made before 9/13/94 in your post ban ar15.now as for your ak's:again(unless you have a state ,county or city law)is the same as stated above but in the case of a rifle that only accepted 10 rnd mags ,you can with the Required # of us parts make it take 30 rnder's.mmk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top