Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2001 10:30:30 AM EDT
[url]http://apbnews.com/newscenter/breakingnews/2001/05/10/bush_guns.html[/url]

Bush to Promote Anti-Gun Plans

May 10, 2001

By SONYA ROSS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) _ President Bush will travel to Pennsylvania next week to highlight "a new national initiative" on gun violence, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said Wednesday, although providing no specifics.

In the fiscal 2002 budget Bush sent to Congress, he requested $49.78 million to provide grants to states to establish programs for increasing arrests and prosecution of gun offenders.

While opposing gun control, Bush has advocated "vigorously prosecute" of gun crimes and said it should be a priority to keep juveniles from obtaining guns.

During his presidential campaign, Bush singled out a program in Richmond, Va., called Project Exile, and he launched in Texas, called Project ChildSafe, as ways to deter gun violence.

Project Exile focuses on punishing criminals with stiff mandatory sentences without parole when convicted of a crime involving a gun.

Since its implementation in 1997, gun-related crimes in Richmond have dropped by 65 percent and violent crimes by 35 percent, although skeptics have pointed out that crime rates in other Virginia cities without the program dropped by similar rates.

The National Rifle Association strongly supports the program.

Last year, the House passed a "Project Exile Act" that would have provided grants to states that hand down sentences of at least five years in prison without parole to people who use or carry firearms during a violent crime or serious drug trafficking. It never passed the Senate.

Justice Department spokesman Reagan Dunn said Project Exile is a good model but the administration's gun initiative is much broader than that. He wouldn't provide details.

Justice's budget request also includes $9 million for a federal-state partnership to prosecute juvenile gun offenders and crack down on illegal gun traffickers selling to children. It creates 94 new positions in U.S. attorneys' offices for a partnership to identify and prosecute juvenile offenders and those who supply guns to them.

The Bush budget proposal also contains $75 million in federal matching funds for ChildSafe, which provides law enforcement agencies with kits containing trigger locks and lessons on safe gun storage.

Another $20 million would provide grants to support state-level prosecutions of gun offenders and establish "safe school" task forces involving local police and schools.

Hmmmm, this doesn't sound too good.

Justice Department spokesman Reagan Dunn said Project Exile is a good model but [b]the administration's gun initiative is much broader than that. He wouldn't provide details.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I am thinking "gun offenders" means people who use guns in a crime. I wouldn't worry about our Pres. taking our freedom, just criminals. Support NRA!!!! if you are not a member then join as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Funny thing is, gun crime has been illegal for years and years.  Why do we need this huge infusion of cash all of a sudden?  

Project Exile type programs bug the hell out of me.  Making federal crimes out of gun posession, even if you are talking about felons, is absurd.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, and I almost forgot, MANDATORY MINIMUMS--the worst thing going.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am thinking "gun offenders" means people who use guns in a crime. I wouldn't worry about our Pres. taking our freedom, just criminals. Support NRA!!!! if you are not a member then join as soon as possible.
View Quote

Wake up man. The way the ATF has always operated and wants to run "exile" is by busting people for technical violations, in other words VICTIMLESS CRIMES. Put a pre-ban upper on a post ban lower, guess what? You are a criminal.

[url]www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3afbfe4a6fa0.htm[/url]

"Then Bob [Bob Glass founder of the Tyranny Response Team] mentioned this:

"Project Exile makes no statutory distinction between a crack dealer with a murder record who lounges on the street corner looking for a robbery victim, and a
single mother who carries an unregistered .38 in her purse without a CCW permit."

Rich Marianos, Agent-in-Charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, replied that he makes the decision whether someone "is a criminal or not"."

Link Posted: 5/13/2001 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Project Exile sounds pretty good to me.  It's what I've been pushing for for quite some time.  Take the violent criminals with guns that give us law-abiding gun owners a bad name and throw them in prison.  Unless you routinely commit violent crimes while carrying guns, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.  However, if anyone starts trying to use Exile for technical violations where no violent crime was involved, I'll be pretty pissed.  That is NOT what Exile is supposed to be.

I don't see Exile as anti-gun.  I see it as anti-criminal.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Isn't this what every gun owner has been asking for; Arrest the bad guys and leave the law abiding citizens alone!
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I am wondering where all this money is going.  We keep putting more and more of it into anti-gun violence and there is still gun violence everywhere.  Is all this really making any difference?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Joe Blacke:

Justice Department spokesman Reagan Dunn said Project Exile is a good model but the administration's gun initiative is much broader than that. He wouldn't provide details.

View Quote

Joe Blacke....

This is the only section that raises my eyebrows too..

I suggest we keep a close eye on this and if and when those details are made public - and - we don't like the sound of them - then we pounce on them with both feet.

Let's be vigilant and stand our post!  We can stop the enemy if we se his advance but he overcomes us when we aren't paying attention.

I support Project Exile - it is working in all the ares where it has been put into effect.  I also believe that we need to monitor kids and their unsupervised access to guns.  I do not believe that we should keep ALL guns out of the hands of ALL kids.  That would have put me way behind the curve in combat and I am thankful for my exposure to firearms from childhood.

It keeps us free.....

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Just thought of something I wanted to add here...

We supervise our kids when they are first learing to operate a motor vehicle because when used improperly - they can be deadly.

We should (and responsible adults) do supervise kids when learning to use firearms safely.  Once they mature and prove their responsibility with them as with a car - they can be trusted to use them on their own.

Why is that so hard?

Notice that I do not advocate licensing for guns as we do with cars.

Driving a motor vehicle is a PRIVILAGE...

To keep and bear arms is a RIGHT...

Two different things!

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at the track record of his M.. F.. father. Like father like son, I don't trust the sob.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm w/ Imbroglio on this. Anyone who seriously thinks G.W. is going to let the A.W. ban sunset is on crack. Anyone who thinks that G.W. is not just another freakin scumbag POLITICIAN needs to wake up and smell the fire burning under their froggy ass. This project exile is just another ploy to turn law abiding gun owners into criminals. We have enough to worry about with the current gun related laws on the books already. As it is it is almost impossible to correctly interpret the laws and this exile deal will just make a mandatory sentence w/ no parole for those poor few who can't keep up as it is. Who of you here can honestly say you totally understand ALL current gun rstrictions/laws? Because with this exile program you can bet you better get 100% up to date real quick and then hope that a jury of your peers understands the laws as well as you do or its bye bye for you. And some people give the N.R.A. thousands of dollars to boost laws like this. I have heard so much of this "enough gun laws already" and then half of you guys just bend over and support what ever comes along?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Any bill that takes the sentencing decision out of the hands of a judge, leaving them without discretion is a violation of the 5th and 14th Amendment (Due Process)
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#15]
i hate to say it people but I TOLD U SO!

and Imborgo's hit it rihgt in the bullseye
Excile is not out friend!
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Sniper -
 Do you really believe that ou Founding Fathers intended for private travel on public roadways to be a PRIVILAGE?  Do we not also have the right of free asociation?  
 Truly I am not surprized by this.  You have to have the support of the NWO crowd to gather enough money to run a successful campaign.  I keep telling you guys it is too late for voting to do any good.  Pray, and buy more ammo......
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you here that Giant sucking sound?

Six
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Isn't this what every gun owner has been asking for; Arrest the bad guys and leave the law abiding citizens alone!
View Quote

Yea, except there are already too many intrusive laws on the books as it is.  If you use a gun to rob a bank a stiffer penalty is appropriate.  I honestly don't know much about it, but I'm worried that Imbrogl|io is right. GWB is a politician.  NEVER TRUST A FUCKING POLITICAIN.

(Excuze my french)

BS.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Exile applies to offenders who are using guns in the commission of a violent crime.  That would not apply to a pre-ban upper on a post ban lower.  

This is not federal law.  The money is incentives to states to pass their own versions of Exile.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not sold on Exile and it could be used against us eventually.  That in itself makes it dangerous enough to oppose.  All I can say is start calling and writting Bush and whoever else.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I fail to see anything 'bad' or anti-gun in anything he is proposing. Crack down on criminals? Sounds good to me!
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]
i'm against it and will write. i belong to the nra and a couple republican groups. this is bull. what ever happen to punishing the crime.
it doesn't matter if your assaulted with a knife,gun,baseball bat, or a hammer. if they murder they get charged with murder. if they appear to have definitly tried to murder its should still be murder. if a person violates ccw laws(even though they're unconstitutional
they are there for now) they should get a fine.
no victim, no crime. how simple is that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm with TROY and DOUBLETAP.  We should punish people for their actions, not becaused they used a gun instead of a lawn mower blade or whatever else isn't as easy to deamonize.  My God, in this country we punish people for what they think these days!  
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top