Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2001 8:26:31 PM EDT
A friend of mine has had threats on his life and he wants to get a pistol that he can carry concealed.  It must have a low profile, as he is a professional and does not want clients to know he is carrying.  I recommended something along the lines of a snub nose .38 that he could carry on the ankle... any other suggestions?  Perhaps something in semi-auto... 9mm or .40... thanks ahead of time all...

semper fi
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No matter what he buys, be sure he gets professional instruction.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Revolvers are easier to learn, semis easier to conceal.  .38+P is Minimal for defense use, 9mm is better.  Make sure he is trained, and maintains the training............
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems to be 2 major considerations and they are interrelated:

1) What form is the threat likely to take on if it comes?  One attacker or multiple?  What kind of firepower are they likely to bring?

2) How deep do they want the concealment to be?  How available does the defensive weapon need to be when you consider the possible attack scenerios?  Is the good guy willing or able to adjust the wardrobe for better concealment in their line of work?

Lots of questions to consider before you make choices.

FishKepr is dead right with his advice.  Just arming ones self is not a guarantee of survival.  Depending on just how seriously your friend considers the threat - they should go all out in preparing for defense of thier life.

Semper Fi - Scipio!

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger SP 101
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Another thought...

Sounds like your friend does not have a CCW (concealed carry permit) and he should apply for one right away.  Assuming that your friend lives in Texas where you are located he can aquire one.

But let me say this - if there is a good chance that this threat is real and an attack is likely, then he may not want to wait for the paper to arrive to carry.  I know, I know...

The ability of states to overrule the Constitution is a very bad thing.  This was never the vision of the framers of this document.  As far as I am concerned your friend has a 226 year old carry permit and for the time being we all should cough up the bucks to comply with state law rather than chance going to jail.  However, when you life is in peril there is NO justification for NOT protecting yourself.  You know the saying... "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6..."

Let us be clear here - I am not encouraging someone to break the law with my words, I am merely encouraging them to do what is prudent and proper when one is faced with a serious threat of death.

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure to have the proper permits (CCW), professional training in the weapon of choice, and the right equipment.

In my opinion I recommend beginners to use: Glock 19 (9mm) OR Glock 23 (40SW), Kramer horsehide OR Sidearmor kydex, Winchester Ranger SXT ammunition, always trash the 10rd PC mag (buy one hi cap)

be very aware of gimmicks, widgets and the popular gun press

Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]
guys... thanks for the advice.  I understand all of the tactical considerations.  I'm former military and have been a gun owner for many years... but most of my experience comes with rifles and shotguns.  I just need some suggestions on some pistols that are easy to conceal.  My friend is a Doctor and has a very successful practice.  Any threats to his life will probably come in the form of a single attacker...
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#8]
My thoughts at http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/buy.html

HTH,

Justin
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Good defensive handguns:  Any of the new S&W snub revolvers, Taurus revolvers, Ruger SP-101, and the Kahr mini autos.  There are any number of guns available, but the above are simple, reliable, effective, and easy to learn to use.
Stick with the .38 Special or 9mm, as these are easyer for beginners to use effectivly.

BEWARE of people suggesting heavy calibers, large, heavy guns, and the more exotic guns.  They are OK for the well trained, but not such a good idea for beginners.  If his life is in danger, he doesn't have time to learn them.

For holsters, one of the newer inside the waistband (IWB) holsters conceal very well, and are still quick to use.  A small handgun such as the above and a IWB holster will never be detected by a client, and will save his life if worse comes to worse.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

...My friend is a Doctor and has a very successful practice.  Any threats to his life will probably come in the form of a single attacker...
View Quote

Now your pricking my curiosity about why he is being threatened...

Man I hope he doesn't do abortions - I just don't cotton to those who murder for hire but picking them off isn't going to solve the problem either!

Well I have probably opened up a hot one here.....

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Sniper!  Dear Lord... we are all conservatives here, relax! hehe  From time to time he gets random patients that like to cause trouble.  Recently, a real roughneck came into his office claiming that he had back pain.  My friend examined him and prescribed him some medicine... the guy kept on coming in and demanding medication... he refused to pay his bills and my friend began to suspect that he was addicted to the medication.  My friend refused to see him and sent him a letter requesting payment... the man refused, came into the office in a rage and stole his charts and records out of the hands of a nurse.  My friend was not in the office at the time... as the man was leaving the office he said that my friend is a deadman... he threatened his life.  Its not the first time that stuff like this has happened but this guy obviously has serious problems... i think its the straw that broke the camels back... there, no abortions...haha
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Step 1: Proper Training to determine best weapon and .........
Step 2: CW Permit
Step 3: Purchase Weapon
Step 4: More Training

Weapons:

1. HK
2. Sig

Calibers:

1. 45
2. 40
3. 9mm

Do not carry on ankle to slow to get to for primary weapon. Carry middle of back......Kramer Holster or my favorite Mitch Rosen Holsters (Workman Express) from

www.holster-connection.com

[pistol]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Plan A: Just buying a gun means nothing, training means nothing if he is one who can not shoot another person. Sounds to me like he should contact the authorities first and see if it is possible for them to talk to the attacker. Plan B: Get a light weight 38 snubby. I stoke mine with 125 gr Remington Golden Sabers. Maybe he can carry it in a small fanny pack up front. Tell people he keeps a small radio in it, and leave small earphones stick out the side for a decoy.
Being he is in a work enviornment and around people and not familiar with guns, keeping the hammer down on a empty chamber would be a good idea too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#14]
My $.02:
IMO, a .38 snub is a poor choice for a rank beginner--difficult to use effectively.  Also, fanny packs scream GUN.  I agree with Sixtus on one thing--mindset is extremely important.  Hesitation will get you killed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My $.02:
IMO, a .38 snub is a poor choice for a rank beginner--difficult to use effectively.  Also, fanny packs scream GUN.  I agree with Sixtus on one thing--mindset is extremely important.  Hesitation will get you killed.
View Quote

I will agree.  I recently shot an DAO aluminum framed/titanium cylnder S&W 342PD Centennial 38 SPL.  I shot the some very lightly 158g SWC and very lightly loaded 3.4gr Allian Unique powder.  It was really tough for me to keep all 5 shots in 5-inch group at 21 feet.

Your friend is going to need lots of practice.  It is not as easy as it looks on television.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#16]
What auto is more reliable or simple to learn than a Glock?  For carry I have the Glock 27 which I highly recommend.  For a beginner I might say the Glock 26 because sometimes that .40 S&W can get away from you with such a small gun.  The Glocks are light, easily concealable and very reliable.  They also hold a lot of rounds for their size. The Glock 27 in .40 holds 9 rounds and the 26 in 9mm holds 10.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#17]
#1 - How does your friend dress on a regular basis?  If like most doctors, it's slacks, dress or casusal shirt and lab coat, he can carry on belt line, either belt on IWB holster.  Fact of life, ankle holsters are slow, but offer fair concealment.
#2 - TRAINING!!!!! Consider Thunder Ranch
#3 - Kahr P9 or P40.  The 9mm will be a little easier for a novice to start with due to level of recoil and muzzle blast
#4 - Have the Dr. consult with a professional who deals with stalkings, disgruntled ex-employees, etc and look at the entire package.  Lifestyle; business, residence and vehicle security.[X]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My $.02:
View Quote

I will agree.  I recently shot an DAO aluminum framed/titanium cylnder S&W 342PD Centennial 38 SPL.  I shot the some very lightly 158g SWC and very lightly loaded 3.4gr Allian Unique powder.  It was really tough for me to keep all 5 shots in 5-inch group at 21 feet.

Your friend is going to need lots of practice.  It is not as easy as it looks on television.
View Quote

I understand where your are comming from,I was thinking about gun mechanics, a revolver is easier to use. I believe that if you shot someone 20 ft away you would probably be charged with murder. I was thinking about 2-3' away. My colt has a 2" barrel, It's only for deadly force purposes. Pull it use it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Not trying to draw fire here but.... a revolver easier to use? Buy a glock, point, pull trigger, doesn't get much simpler than that in my books, plus you have the advantage of carrying more rounds. I'm not sure how your state views it, but I know here when I went through the police academy they showed us that a man with a knife in his hand can cover 20 feet and stab you before you can draw from a duty type holster and drop him, much less a concealed carry gun, so IMHO I don't see the difference between 2 feet and 20 feet as murder.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is my carry pistol.
P9 in a Comp-Tac IWB, shirt tuckable holster. It conceals very well.
[img]http://www.echoesmedia.com/hoeftjl/Carry.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Weapon doesn't matter at this point.
86 the ankle holster idea though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not trying to draw fire here but.... a revolver easier to use? Buy a glock, point, pull trigger, doesn't get much simpler than that in my books, plus you have the advantage of carrying more rounds. I'm not sure how your state views it, but I know here when I went through the police academy they showed us that a man with a knife in his hand can cover 20 feet and stab you before you can draw from a duty type holster and drop him, much less a concealed carry gun, so IMHO I don't see the difference between 2 feet and 20 feet as murder.
View Quote

You might not see the difference but a liberal jury and a fast talking lawyer will make a point of it, before it's over with the perp was just running over to show you it. If I was fortunate to see some one running at me with a knife,I would be ready too. When do you start shooting 100 yrds 50, I just wouldn't fire untill I felt I could make fatal shots, I only carry 5. Twenty feet away for me with the 2" barrel is impracticle and I wouldn't want to shoot a bystander. I don't like the striker system Glocks use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top