Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2003 12:02:54 PM EDT
In Richmond, VA of all places.  I've lived here all my life and never felt one, let alone one that shook buildings!  Nothing to you west coast people, but very unusual for here...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, you beat me to it.  I'm in C-ville.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow,

I'm in Innsbrook on the west end of Richmond. Shook it up here too!  That was cool!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing on the [url=http://earthquakes.usgs.gov/recenteqsUS/Maps/US10/32.42.-80.-70.html]USGS[/url] real-time site yet, but will keep looking.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
We definitely felt it here on southside by Brandermill...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Its on drudge but no link yet!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I felt it here in Richmond too.  I'm just off 95 at The Boulevard...shook the whole damn building.

Looks like the center is near Blacksburg.  Anyone in Southwest VA?

[url]http://www.geol.vt.edu/outreach/vtso/heli/GIF/[/url]

Edited to add that they felt it in Ashland as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Shook the shit out of me here between Lynchburg and Charlottesville.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys just have bad gas![fart]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
News is reporting Richmond to DC area.

AQ Probably detonated an underground nuke. [peep]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#10]
[URL]http://www.pre-ban.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6937[/URL]

Nothing on the map, but not sure what time 9:07 UTC is???

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Just saw where the epicenter was at Columbia (right on the James at the border of Goochland & Fluvanna counties), which is 10 miles away from my house.  Apparently a 3.9.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I can hear the Imams now: "This is Allah's judgement against the pagan Great Satan!" blah, blah....

Everyone else OK?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Rookies! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I think the neighbor lady saw the shottie I brought to the door.  She looked a little non-plussed.  Wouldn't think anyone would attack my humble apartment complex, but you never can tell...

I was in a 6.8 in Turkey.  Knocked over my entertainment center and killed about 300 Turks.  I woke up at night for six months afterwards thinking the ground was shaking.  Earthquakes are some weird shit.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a Magnitude 4, but nothing yet on Intensity.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmm, we had a 2.9 I think it was a few months ago here in Ga.  The epicenter was right up near the northern corner of the state right on the GA/Alabama line if I'm not mistaken.  

Strange that we've had two on the East Coast that were easily felt by people.  The next big one about to hit the East Coast?  Probably been a couple thousand years since we had a huge one, I seem to recall a science special on TV that hinting at there being evidence of a massive quake out this way...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]
From the folks who know about this sort of thing:

[url=http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsUS/Quakes/uscdbf.htm]Link[/url]
Magnitude 4.5 - VIRGINIA
2003 December 9 20:59:14 UTC
Preliminary Earthquake Report
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center

A light earthquake occurred at 20:59:14 (UTC) on Tuesday, December 9, 2003. The magnitude 4.5 event has been located in VIRGINIA. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)  

Magnitude 4.5
Date-Time Tuesday, December 9, 2003 at 20:59:14 (UTC)
= Coordinated Universal Time
Tuesday, December 9, 2003 at 3:59:14 PM
= local time at epicenter

Location 37.607°N, 77.963°W
Depth 5 km (3 miles) set by location program
Region VIRGINIA
Distances 24 km (15 miles) SE (133°) from Columbia, VA
30 km (19 miles) WSW (258°) from Short Pump, VA
33 km (20 miles) WSW (252°) from Wyndham, VA
45 km (28 miles) W (280°) from Richmond, VA
167 km (104 miles) SSW (210°) from Washington, DC

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 12.7 km (7.9 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters Nst= 12, Nph= 12, Dmin=84.2 km, Rmss=0.86 sec, Gp=166°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (MLg), Version=6  
Source U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center

Event ID uscdbf
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
edited: Beat by seconds!

Still nice to know that you can get news real time via ARFCOM. Faster then Foxnews!

CH
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]
My estimates (because I had to estimate the interpolation on the map) of the actual coordinates place the center just about at Westview.  I'd love to have been in a kayak then.  Scratch that, the waters too butt cold.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rookies! [;)]
View Quote

I second that [:D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]Earthquake Shakes East Coast[/b]

In other news, Rosie O'Donnell fell off of her chair today..............
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, its up on the USGS page now.

Closest thing I've felt to an earthquake was when that trailer (or was it two?)  full of dynomite blew up in KC several years ago.  IIRC, it killed several firefighters when it went. [:(]

BUT.....where I'm at now, if the New Madrid fault ever wakes up again, things will be very interesting.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember that as well, [b]FanoftheBlackRifle[/b]. Six firefighters were killed in the two explosions. I was living in a shitty apartment in Independence, and the first blast woke me up. I was just dozing off when the second one went off. Bad deal.

True enough, when New Madrid lets go, and it's a little overdue by most estimates, St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville and other places are going to get hammered. Another relatively high-risk location is Charleston, SC.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#24]
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsUS/Maps/US10/32.42.-85.-75.html
Check the above link. Are you sure it wasn't just one of those "chubby chicks" that NYPatriot is talking about in his post fallin' down???
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]
HOLY EARTHQUAKE!  I think I just had a small crap!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#26]
A shottie over a 4.5?  snicker snicker, hee hee HAR HAR HAR ahem pardon me.  Oh my stars and garters, an earthquake, in Virginia?  you don't say??  

Actually, the last time I was ever scared of an earthquake was when I was in old Petersburg down by the Visitor Center and Exchange Museum.  Those old brick buildings looked like good sneeze could knock them down let alone an earthquake.

snicker snicker, 4.5 Grab the guns Maizie it's the SHTF
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
True enough, when New Madrid lets go, and it's a little overdue by most estimates, St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville and other places are going to get hammered. Another relatively high-risk location is Charleston, SC.
View Quote

There's a really cool book about the New Madrid letting go.  It's called The Rift by Walter Jon Williams.

[url]http://www.thuntek.net/~walter/therift/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a really cool book about the New Madrid letting go.  It's called The Rift by Walter Jon Williams.

There are a few fiction books about the New Madrid.  That's gonna ruin a few days for quite a few folks when it happens.

http://www.thuntek.net/~walter/therift/index.htm
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Did FloriDuh break off and fall into the ocean?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#30]
The folowing is the official release of today's Virginia earthquake
The Emergency Email & Wireless Network
http://www.emergencyemail.org/

The following is a release by the United States Geological Survey, National
Earthquake Information Center: A light earthquake occurred IN CENTRAL
VIRGINIA about 30 miles west of Richmond at 1:59 PM MST, Dec 9, 2003 (3:59
PM EST in Virginia). The magnitude and location may be revised when
additional data and further analysis results are available. The earthquake
was felt throughout much of Virginia and minor damage has been reported in
Nelson county. The earthquake was also felt in parts of Maryland and North
Carolina.

Location with respect to nearby cities:
    45 km (30 miles) W of RICHMOND, Virginia (pop 197,000)
    50 km (30 miles) NE of Farmville, Virginia (pop 6,000)
    65 km (40 miles) NW of Petersburg, Virginia (pop 38,000)
    65 km (40 miles) SE of Charlottesville, Virginia (pop 40,000

Danny in Nelson County

Rocked my world!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#31]
As my brother is wont to say. It's only a big earthquake if you evacuate yourself before you evacuate the building.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In Richmond, VA of all places.  I've lived here all my life and never felt one, let alone one that shook buildings!  Nothing to you west coast people, but very unusual for here...
View Quote

I have lived in Calif almost 40yr's and have felt exactly one tremor. That was 1972 in Orangevale and was less than a 3.

[red]The party doesn't start till 8.5...![/red]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#33]
We just had and earthquake and I'm such a [b]loser[/b] that the best thing I can think to do is start a thread on AR15.com!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In Richmond, VA of all places.  
View Quote

Nah, I was jut bangin my g/f here in Kentucky...  nothin to worry about....
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

What the hell are you banging her with, a wrecking ball? Your g/f needs to loosen-up a bit!

I guess thats why Kentucky girls are always missing a few teeth eh?[;D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#36]
[lol]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#37]
That's odd...

We just had one 2-3 weeks ago here in Reading, PA...

Basically due North of you...

If we're lucky, NJ will fall into the ocean, soon followed by CA...[:D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

What the hell are you banging her with, a wrecking ball? Your g/f needs to loosen-up a bit!

I guess thats why Kentucky girls are always missing a few teeth eh?[;D]
View Quote

Dude all I'll say is it took nothing over 89 octane...

[;)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#39]
4.5? Didn't know you could feel a 4.5. We have aftershocks bigger than that.

CW - San Andreas '81, Los Gatos '89, Loma Prieta '89
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Just one?

[url]http://www.trinet.org/recenteqs/[/url]

CW [wave]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Add this to your Favorites list:

[url]http://aslwww.cr.usgs.gov/Seismic_Data/heli2.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I used to live in Kalifornistan.  We had small quakes like this one all the time.  Hell, we got so good, we could make pretty good guesses as to the magnitude.  A 4.5 would be a "ho-hum".

Having said that, I remember when the Northridge quake hit.  We were living about 50 miles away in Camarillo.  It went down at about 0425 and it was a 6.7.  Momma and I awoke to severe shaking and glass breaking.  Right away the power went out as the grid failed...all the way to Idaho and Washington state.

That quake was very destructive.  Not only did it kill lots of people in collapsed structures it caused over $30 billion in damages and put 20th Century Insurance, then the largest underwriting company in California totally out of business.  They couldn't handle the losses.

We used to keep a disaster trunk filled with "stuff" just in case.

Northridge was my alma mater.  I had cause to visit the campus a couple of weeks after the quake and the damage was amazing.  The new seven story library was damaged so badly that it had to be condemned.  The new four story parking garage was flattened.  A popular student flop-apartment building collapsed and the second and third stories came down on the first, killing several folks.  You simply can't imagine the damage until you have seen it.

We should remember that the Northridge quake was only a medium sized quake.  High 7s to 8s are the monster quakes and they do happen.  Take a look at the damage an 8.4 did to Anchorage, Alaska in 1964.  You can find info on it on the web.  I was up there in 1986.  We visited Kodiak and Seward too.  They were all severely smashed by the giant quake and the resulting Tsunami.  I had lunch with some Kodiak locals at the VFW one afternoon.  They told me how the ocean in the harbor suddenly receded WAY out, leaving lots of fish stranded in the now-wide open harbor bottom.  Some of the locals went down on the mud flats to retrieve the fish...and the sea then returned at about 100 miles an hour, killing them all.  They also said the sea rose up to just below the VFW building, which is up on a hill several hundred yards from the nearest quay.  The reason that happened is because Kodiak harbor is a relative narrow inlet and the water built up rapidly, wiping away boats, buildings and people.

Had that quake hit a largely populated area...the effects would have been devastating.

Before we moved, I read a very well written doomsday thesis on the effects of an 8+ in Los Angeles.  The writer postulated that the quake epicenter was along a known bad fault under Century City, the ritzy financial and business district downtown.  This fault is known to be ready to blow.

The writer opined that within five minutes of the 8+ quake, fully 30k people would be dead all across southern California, with more to follow.  

All forms of communications would be cut including road, rail lines, harbor and air.  In fact, the only way in or out would be by air, but that would have to be by the military after they occupied the airports and set up their portable radars and air control systems.  Nothing civilian would be operating.

Damage to the utilities infrastructure would be incredible.  Land line comms would be hard down.  Cell phones likewise since the towers and power systems would be inop.  The power grid would be off line totally, just like it was for us during the Northridge quake.

Natural gas lines?  Off until the system could be checked out, the damages repaired and power restored to the pumping stations.

Fresh water?  Forget it.

Waste disposal?  Try living in the city or 'burbs when your crappers are hard down because there isn't any fresh water to flush them.

There was a lot more...like martial law being invoked, that got my attention.

What I was reading was the ultimate SHTF scenario.  Back to the stone age, boyz!

A big quake is a very scary deal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#43]
4.5 on the Richter scale? Hmmmm...that would give you about a 10 second blurb on the 6 & 11pm news. No big deal, it would felt like a huge truck passed your place real close.

LWilde: I seconded every you said. I was in El Monte(40 miles SW of Northridge & 10 miles east of L.A.) when the Northridge earthquake hit. My whole bedroom was swaying back & forth for at least 30 secs. The San Fernando Valley area has been hit by 2 big quakes, another in 1972(?), approximately the same magnitude. A hospital collapsed and killed a lot of people.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A shottie over a 4.5?  snicker snicker, hee hee HAR HAR HAR ahem pardon me.  Oh my stars and garters, an earthquake, in Virginia?  you don't say??  

Actually, the last time I was ever scared of an earthquake was when I was in old Petersburg down by the Visitor Center and Exchange Museum.  Those old brick buildings looked like good sneeze could knock them down let alone an earthquake.

snicker snicker, 4.5 Grab the guns Maizie it's the SHTF
View Quote

Ahem.  You mock me, sir.

I don't know where YOU hail from, but around these parts it's a might unusual for the floor to start shaking when you're perfectly sober.  That is an event that is definitely out of the ordinary.  I don't think anyone in VA who hasn't lived in an earthquake zone thought to themselves, "Huh.  An earthquake, imagine that." and went on with what they were doing.  Now, I will stipulate that loud low rumbling noises accompanied by floor shaking aren't indicative of a whole lot of scenarios.  I suppose that were I more used to earthquakes, I might have processed that fact in less than the five seconds or so it took me to get downstairs and be peeping out my windows.  I, however, did not.  Instead, I armed myself and checked my perimeter while evaluating the situation.  I stand by my actions.

And I ain't skeered of no earthquake neither.  I've been through a 6.8 and its 5.3 aftershock.  While I'm sure that's small potatoes to the Kaliban land-surfing crew, I was definitely the first one on my block.

I await your humble apology.

on edit: I would also like to point out that the title of MY earthquake thread, posted two minutes after Driftpunch's, was "Whoa. We just had an earthquake.", instead of the more alarmist, "HOLY CRAP! I think we just had a small earthquake"

I present this as further evidence of my cool head and steely demeanor.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In God we Trust... All others [s]pay cash[/s] use VISA... [;)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

on edit: I would also like to point out that the title of MY earthquake thread, posted two minutes after Driftpunch's, was "Whoa. We just had an earthquake.", instead of the more alarmist, "HOLY CRAP! I think we just had a small earthquake"

View Quote

Don't confuse suprise with alarm.  

As far as the CA comparisons, one must always judge things like this in terms of deviation from normal.  As such, a 4.5 quake here is very unusual, and worthy of note.  The temperature getting below 20 here is not newsworthy, and often those in North Dakota wish it would reach 20 as a high.  20 degrees in LA would be a big friggin deal... Are you guys now pussies? [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top