Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2001 1:50:25 PM EDT
besides taurus and s&w? Does anyone even make revolvers besides these 2, colt and ruger?

I want a compact titanium hammerless revolver in .357. Taurus makes one the right size, .357 and titanium but no hammerless option, according to their catalog and website they don't make anything hammerless in titanium besides the "police model" .38sp. smith makes one but I won't buy it.

Never had exp. with dao or floating pin revolvers, couple questions

If I get the taurus da/sa and have the hammer bobbed or shrouds put on it, is there a need to leave a cylinder empty with the floating firing pin? What if no shrouds or bobbing, upon firing does the pin fly forward past where the hammer strikes on its own? Or when stowed is the f.p. fully extended and rubbing the primer when the hammer is down?

Also on a hammerless dao (what I'm really looking for) is there a need to leave a cyl empty for carry?

What about porting? Most say it's a bad idea on a defensive weapon causing nighttime flash blindness and all, I've shot a buddies 2" smith 686 in .357 and it jumped a WHOLE LOT, I'm sure halfing the weight of that only makes it moreso.
Considering it's a short-assed-barrel what would flash be like out of the compensator with defensive low-flash loads like golden sabers?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
"You can get it in any color you want as long as it's black" - Henry Ford
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a toris m85t in .38.

The transfer bar only allows the hammer to touch the firing pin when the trigger is held to the rear. As the firing pin remains retracted into the frame until the hammer hits the transfer bar, it is safe to carry with all chambers loaded.

Porting does help reduce muzzle jump, but it is something that not all like in backup guns. Some people feel that such a small gun will most likely not be fired with arms at full extension, but close to the body and porting of high velocity gases will cause injury to the shooter during defensive shooting situations.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
You're not going to need the porting in an aw shit situation.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
A quick side note on aluminum/titanium snub-nose guns.  I shot a S&W 342PD Centennial(aluminum frame & titanium cyl) weighing 10oz.  Even with my downloaded 38 SPL(158g bullet & 3.4g Unique), the recoil was pretty severe.  At 21 ft, I had a hard time keeping my shoot group inside 5-6 inches.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
All modern revolvers have some sort of transfer bar saftey.In other words there is no way that the pin can hit the primer without the trigger held back.

I just seen were Tarus is making a concealed hammer model.I know in 38 and 357 to follow.
They also have a 5 shot 45ACP coming out.It supposed to use a teflon clip.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A quick side note on aluminum/titanium snub-nose guns.  I shot a S&W 342PD Centennial(aluminum frame & titanium cyl) weighing 10oz.  Even with my downloaded 38 SPL(158g bullet & 3.4g Unique), the recoil was pretty severe.  At 21 ft, I had a hard time keeping my shoot group inside 5-6 inches.
View Quote

I also owned one of these exact guns...they are horrible to shoot...
Too light for accurate / comfortable shooting... (.38 special wadcutters max)

I traded that gun, and ended up buying a Taurus model 617 Total Titanium .357 mag revolver.
This gun has muzzle ports in it and they make a world of difference.
The hotter .357 load are still not nice to shoot, BUT I've found a real comfortable compromise...I use the US Treasury Dept. +P+ .38 Special rounds.
They have velocity similar to the .357 mag. but shoot more like a .38 with the Taurus's muzzle porting.
Seems to be the perfect combination for me...
Also,...the Titanium Taurus is a bit "tight" and "rough" feelng when new out of the box...but a couple boxes of .357's, and it loosens right up...
Fantastic gun to shoot...REAL accurate too with +P+ .38's [kill]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually Taurus makes a bobbed hammer titanium revolver.
[url]http://www.taurususa.com/newprods.html[/url]It doesnt have the hammer shroud though. And the have just come out with the new CIA model with the hammer shroud. Titanium 15ozs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top