Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2001 3:51:32 AM EDT
Gene stoner said it wasn't needed. The US Army insisted on it.
what do you think?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I've actually used it. Let's say that you [b]"shouldn't"[/b] need it. Could come in handy if people are shooting at you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#2]
No.The cut on the side of the carrier is all you need.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:18:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Never have used it [but I wasn't in combat]. Most people I have talked to say it's not necessary. I feel the designer had it right.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it!!!! If you've shot several rounds and your getting gummed up it could be a lifesaver!!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope.   Mine on my M16 broke during full auto.  It somehow got in the way of the carrier.  Jam.  Ended up taking it out.   I have a replacement on order, so I'll eventually have a working one again.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't need it, and shouldn't use it.

Try and explain to me what situation is made better by ramming a jammed cartridge into the chamber.

IMO the forward assist is no different than using a rubber mallet to close the bolt.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:02:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The only time I would use it would be to chamber a round without 'slamming' the bolt forward, aka stealth mode.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont think some of you understand the purpose of the forward assist. I have used it several times. Most recently when the gun was a bit dirty with a full magazine it would not let the carrier close all the way do to the above combination. A little push on the assist and all was fine. This is the purpose of the forward assist.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
It has a use, I wish the Fal had one, I know the sand cuts act as one but I dont have one with the cuts.
Like Crow said, when you ride the bolt slowly to be quiet and then give a few pushes on it to be sure it`s seated.
I`ve never had a jam that can cured by it though, I`m sure it can happen but I haven`t needed it for that
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Israeli Heavy FALs had forward assist. Will fit on any receiver. Bolt needs only slight mod.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top