Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2001 7:07:52 PM EDT
I'm GUILTY as charged. I'm lucky to still have her around. I've been a
                terribly irresponsible cad with the bills and such, all the while getting what
                I thought was necessary while the Clintons and Y2K loomed on the
                horizon.
                Now, I've got exactly what I perceived as needed for the Home, Hunting,
                and Collection. Everything else is gravy...
                As I told my best friend, I did in 5 years what most guys did in 20.
                Now, I can get the bills paid off, and send my little girls to college.
                If this seems backwards; I was born a Breech.
                Surely, I'm not the only Man who's tread this erroneous path. Come forth
                with your confessions, Brothers!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldnt say she gets pissed.  She does however use it against me. e.g. Look at what you've gotten for YOU and look what you've gotten for ME blah blah
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Not me.  As long as I make sure it fits in the budget (and I don't make purchases [i]too[/i] often), no problems.  I have a pretty damned wonderful wife.  I've gotten something about every 11 months since we got married, and the first one [i]she[/i] bought for [i]me[/i]!![8D]

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Never pissed my wife off with a gun purchase.Its when you add them all up she got a little shall we say irritated.Then she remembered how much I love this.Besides how many quality guns have you bought that are not worth at least as much as when you bought them.Assuming 2 or 3 years have passed,and you got a good deal to begin with.she also knows that these will be passed on to our sons.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Nah.................I though the LEGP would set her off as I am w/o a job right now but actually she said [b]"$660........Man thats a great price maybe you should buy two"[/b].

She changed her tune htough after I told her about the Beta-C and a couple other accessories.

She never really holds me back and I try to stay wiithin reason.  Heck.....she shoots em' to dang it!

Shes one of the cool ones.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Got divorced in 1993 when I had 3 guns.  I am still single and my collection has grown to over 50 now.  So...I don't have those problems but I sure do remember them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
KBaker---"budget".  New word.

Seems like a good tactic.  Yeah, that's it!  "TACTICAL BUDGET"!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
rot! roh! busmaster! No noookie for you! but hey she'll just find a way to deprive you of it anyway! besides guns are better than most women! they don't get jealous when you look at or use another gun! you can BANG them all you want!and they don't b**ch constantly or at all for that matter! and they are totally submissive to your will!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife still doesn't know about the AR but we have a safe and all the guns are in there and she's got the combo.  Other valuables in there too.  She buys a lot of jewelry so I don't think the few guns she doesn't know about would be a big deal.  She's come around on her political thought and likes to shoot so I'm not worried about any gun legal in CA being an issue.  

Funny thing on the AR, I told her I was going to get it but they were on back order.  She didn't like me doing business with a dealer out of his home and was leary of this concept.  So she wasn't so much against the AR as against buying from a FFL out of his home.  Too much TV.;)
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Do not have that problem.  Been divorced 26 years.  Won't remarry until I find a woman as nuts about guns as I am, plus other compatablity issues, but she must get past the gun test first.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
No way! I buy what I want and don't take any static from her. Oh Sh*t! here she comes. Gotta sign off now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife thought I just had my AR and 2 handguns. I told her that I wanted to get a gun safe and she asked how many guns I have (4 long guns, 4 hand guns). She was quite upset about that. Now she says that a gun safe is not worth the money. I guess I'll cancel all of our insurance policies and tell her that since we don't use them, they are not worth the money. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#15]
When we were dating she never griped. After we got married last month one day I mentioned there was a nice Glock 21 I was looking at and she said, "Don't you have enough guns already?" Is that a bad sign, or what?

Anyway, so I said I had put the money aside before the wedding (yeah, right) and as an added bonus I'm having a matching pair of FAL rifles built for us, "his and hers". That changed her tune a little.

But she persisted, so I mentioned the fact I just paid off her $6,000 wedding ring and the honeymoon and now it's my turn. That did the trick.

SO I'M GOING SHOPPING AND IT AIN'T FOR NO FRICKEN DOILEYS!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
No because- I had that one for a long time. Oh i just blued/chromed it. traded it. just using it. Got a real good deal.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Here lies a tale of woe...

A couple months back I bought a Swedish rolling block action off an internet auction. My wife saw it and didn't say too much, so it was mostly sitting on the kitchen table being admired ever since. Then a couple weeks ago I "accidently" bought another one from the same source. Since the actions were so nearly identical, even to the date stamped on them, I knew my wife could never tell the difference. Luck seemed to be on my side as I arrived home from work to find my wife not home yet and a note from our friendly local postmistress telling me my new action was at the post office. So I flew over there and back, put the new one on the table and hid the old one in the attic, and was sitting ever so innocently on the couch when the wife came home. Everything was so perfect, I silently patted myself on the back as the wife prepared supper.

Then I heard her say, "Oh, here's a message on the answering machine..."

[:o]

[:(]

[spank]

[xx(]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Hahahahahaha! I'm in the SAME BOAT Guys! Well...almost.... I did my gun buying BEFORE I got married. I bought the biggest safe that I could manage..and filled the thing up. Got married..Wifey then says she doesn't want me to "buy anymore guns"...
I say.."Ok". And she has this "I can't believe you just said that!" look on her face cause she knows I am a hard core addict..then she asks "By the way how many guns do you have ?"..I say..."I dunno"...then she gets mad and says "show them to me!"..I say "Ok" and take her into the garage..and open up the safe (she had thought it was a "Black Refrigerator")..she sees the guns...and I then say.."See Honey ? I'm outta space..." She repeats the question.."How many ?" ..I say "I dunno...too many to count".

Yeah..that is a real story. She now knows what a gun safe looks like..(as well as industrial refrigeration units). [:D]

Seriously...the winning strategy if you ARE married and ARE still "collecting"..is this.
You let HER handle the money..the bills and eveyrthing. And each of you get a weekly "allowance" (same amount of money) that you can spend on ANYTHING you want. And the understanding that the Allowance is NOT supposed to be used for household necessities..such as groceries..etc. You then SAVE up your allowance and buy your guns.
($50-100 per week is a good allowance.)

The wife then cannot complain about the gun purchases..since financially you are living within your budget and it isn't affecting anything.
If she wants to reduce the allowance...she has to also reduce her's as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know about you guys, but...

I wear the pants in my house. [beer]

Bitching is not tolerated. [kill]    

Wife is familiar with location of front door...
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#21]
There are days I find the "Shotgun News" on her nightstand. God I love her.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes. I did. I confess. Three times. She came to live here in Italy from Israel, and in less than six months I had to settle down a house, change a job and reduce my plans of firearms purchase, because, since my income it is not so high, I have to manage.
But, you know, with worldwide restrictions is more and more difficult to find good pieces at affordable prices, so I had to take my chances.
I bought two rifles (a ZKM and a Garand) a handgun (Browning HP) telling her things AFTER I did them.
I felt I shit.
I decided to tell her everithing and to improve my income, so doing putting aside money and having the chance to buy what I want without creating conflicts.
She is not an anti, but money shortage is such a leit motiv...
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#23]
thebeekeeper1, no kidding. A couple of nights ago she mentioned she had a "headache". She never said that before we got married... Should I start worrying?
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:24:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I have PO'd my wife with trades rather than purchases.  You know how it is, you find a gun you've got to have, you pick the one you wan't the least and work out a trade to get the one you want.  I come home with the new gun, my wife asks me how I got it, I tell her what I traded, (I leave out the cash part), and she says damnit I liked that one!  Why did you trade it?  It was because I liked it huh?
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:49:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Yep, the worst was the first AR I ever bought. it went something like this.
Honey I got a great deal on a gun today!
How much?
It's a Colt too!
How much?
And I got some mags, a sling and even a scope!
How much?
Only 850.
850!!!
She never liked that gun after that. But the first time I let her shoot it she said the sound made her heart want to stop.
Yea, me to[:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:01:07 AM EDT
[#26]
She used to but she's getting over it.

I just tell her everything cost half of what it really does.

For the longest time she thought all I had was one rifle, A Marlin .22 lever action that i paid $65 for.  I then bought "kits" for it.

I would go down in the basement and bang some wrenches together and come up stairs and say look honey, this is my AR15 kit.

Go back down stairs, bang some wrenches around again; look honey, this is the M1A kit.

I had a Desert Eagle kit, a Remington Sendero kit, a Sig P239 kit and they each only cost $45.

That was fine until she went into my shoot room and saw them all together.  I told that it wasn't that much more to buy the parts to make them all complete weaapons.

Dishonesty is my key to a long and loving relationship.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:43:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Mine always says one of two things, either:  "If you can't afford it I'll buy it for you" or, "Can I get one just like it for me?"  She shoots IDPA, NRA hipower and 500 meter silhouette.

Eat your hearts out, bros!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:47:02 AM EDT
[#28]
My GF wont fall for the wrench banging and "gun kits", she knows what an Ar15 receiver is and to check the serial numbers.  I'm busted.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:54:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Mine gave up getting mad years ago. She gets even. If I spend a grand, she'll spend two.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:02:06 AM EDT
[#30]
My motto is: "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:40:07 AM EDT
[#31]
My wife and i split the bills years ago. We each spend what we want after the bills are paid!  But, Guns are Not, i say Not OK. Running out of places to hide,OOPs i mean store new purchases. Have to open gun safe very carefully,was not meant to store this many guns. My wife said we need another gun safe now with the grandkids getting older,the open display gun cabinet has to go! Damn,i hate when that happens.  Ben  
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:14:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Not Mine! She is waiting at the door when I get home from the shows. "What did you get!?!" with an excited look on her face.

I was lucky with my wife. She grew up with the closest sibling being her brother. She loves to motorcycle/car shop and loves to go to the range. However, she isn't into shooting long guns. She's an auto pistol kinda gal and likes .40's and .45's
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#33]
My wife went to college in San Diego where she learned that guns are evil and only psychos need them.  Then she went to Oklahoma for law school and realized that a lot of her nice, ordinary girl friends carry them.  So, about a couple months ago, she was talking to a law school friend and heard about how she used to go out to her fathers farm and shoot prairie dogs and coyotes.  After hearing that, she asked me to take her to the range.  Well, I brought the M1 Carbine (good for first timers) and the Sig 230.  She had a blast to say the least.  Now, all I have to do is prove some funds are available to purchase a "toy" and no problems.  Nice end to this story.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#35]
The only problem(if you could call it so)is that my wife wants the same amount of guns as me...I get one then she gets one and so on..AND on top of that she wants to spend the same money as i do! Can you believe that, the nerve of her.

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#36]
My wife has been really cool with all of my purchases.  Plus she enjoys shooting them almost as much as I do.  I also make sure not to complain about any of her purchases of jewelry and such.  All in all, I consider myself quite lucky!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#37]
[b]Anybody else p/o the wife with a gun purchase?[/b] every fricking chance i get.when she gets p/oed at me,she quits talking to me for about two weeks.AAAAH the silents,ah the bliss.WOOF WOOF.mmk
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well, I found the allowance for both of us works fine.
View Quote

The allowance route is the way it goes at our house, and it's working pretty well. Sticking to that budget has been a pain sometimes when I find a really good deal, but I haven't dipped into other funds yet - I would if the deal was too good to pass up, but only after letting her know and getting her blessing. Why screw up a good thing after 25 yrs?

The only thing that bothers me lately is that I can't get her out shooting with me anymore. She used to shoot with me everytime I went out, and lately she'll stay behind instead. More ammo for my son and I, but she's one heck of a shot.

Anyway, the allowance covers everything: guns, ammo, accessories and even the gas to the range (which lately costs as much as everything else!). No secrets, no hassles, no problems.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#40]
My wife keeps claiming the guns. Like MY HK, MY AR15. I come back from a gun show with a Colt Python, she says" That's nice. Did you get yourself anything?" I have to buy guns for her so I can buy guns for me. Then I have to ask her which ones are mine and which ones are hers. Then, when shes not looking, I take them all out shooting. She's totally cool. She never complains that I carry everyday. She has even applied for her CCW. We are even teaching our 8 year old girl to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I just got divorced. I can't say that my addiction to guns caused it, but every little bit helps. My advise to you single guys out there is to find a mate who likes to shoot and shares your political views. Don't let you dick decide for you!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#43]
buy one? hell, mine gets pissed when i 'browse', oh well....
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#44]
I kept a mossberg 500 hidden for over 9 months and my ar15 secret for about 6 months until I finally fessed up to both...boy was she PISSED!!!! .....for about 15 minutes. Then she got over it....whew! I just explained to her that they are about to be banned and that I needed them to protect her and the kids from the godless chinese commies who would soon be marching down our street. She bought it.

Now I am working on that Remington 700 in .308

"What do you need another gun for?"
-"I wanna go deer hunting"
"But you don't hunt"
-"Well, duh...I don't have a hunting rifle!!"
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Sorta kinda... It's the fact that we owe a chunk of change to the IRS that upsets her the most, that and the fact that we have 13 guns now, total.  I think she's gonna let me buy my next purchase, but I think I'm gonna have to get rid of two to get it.  

It's not really fair though, as the last purchase was her Benelli M1S90.  Mine was about 6 months prior, a Glock 27.  I just want a nice looking muzzleloader to round out the collection.  I'm slowly working on her....  she read a magazine article about the M1 Garand, and she was fascinated by a historic type weapon.  I keep offering to get that for her, but she resists...  I just got a video and book sent to the house on my muzzle loader, maybe she'll like the historic aspect of that one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds to me like a few of you GUYS wear the skirt & panties in your house ... [:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#48]
dragracerart---Now THERE'S a pretty picture...

"The MEN of AR15.com" 2002 Calendar.  YUK!!!

I'm going to be sick, no, strike that, I AM sick!
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#49]
In the past 24 months I have bought 22 guns and she hardly says a thing about it.

She did get mad when I bought her a Ruger MKII for christmas one year. She claims it`s for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#50]
thebeekeeper1, for some reason I don't feel better after reading your post. :)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top