Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2001 1:40:41 PM EDT
Being new to the sport of shooting (been at it for about a year now), I feel I'm ready to step up into today's technology.  Have acquired a couple Garands in the last year and just love the rifle.  However, I would like a lighter rifle, lighter ammo, cheaper ammo, lots of good parts and upgrades available (could not believe the amount of upgrades/parts I saw at the last gun show I attended....mind boggling!!!!), and an accurate rifle.  I feel like the AR-15 will fit that ticket nicely.  

I am leaning hard towards the CMP AR simply because I feel the rifle will be much better than me when I acquire it and is a good starting point for the money.  I don't know enough about, uppers, lowers, etc., to build my own.  I'm simply looking for a decent rifle that I can purchase, take it out of the box, and go to the range with it.  

Please forgive me if this has been brought up before.  I just need a place to start!!!!  Thank you.

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are into target/competative shooting then a DMC would not be a bad option.  Sounds like you just want a fun rifle. If that is the case, I would say look at a Bushmaster 16" M4 or shorty.  It will be an accurate relatively inexpensive package and just about as much fun as you can have with a rifle.  AR's are inherently accurate and with a quality piece it will be more accurate that you are with iron sights.  Good Luck and welcome!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the Boards.

I would take a look at ArmaLite.

[url]http://www.armalite.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess that was the word I was looking for.... a "fun gun"!!!!  Like I said, I love the Garand and respect/honor its past, but I want something that is easier to shoot, cheaper, and to compete with.  Not real serious about competing yet, though.  Also want something my wife can shoot as well.  She just won't touch the Garand!! ha

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for a great site (jouster.com great site as well) and look forward to learning about the AR from you guys like I have over at jouster.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
vmax84,

Welcome. I think that Armalite is your best option. I am thinkg of the same option. I have 1 AR a colt post ban and have 2 Bushmaster lower receivers. I just sent them out for 2 stage triggers to be installed. I am debating on a custom upper or to go with Armalite. Haven't made up my mind yet. Armalite has many options and if you go to the website you will see them all. Good luck and happy shooting. By the way I like the Garand also. I have 1 and would like to get another. I am anxious to see what springfield armory is going to do with the M1 garand. I hear that they were going into full production later this year.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the Bushmaster  " Dissipator " model .
16 inch barrel with full hand guards . Don't burn your hand nearly as easily . Very accurate right of the box and as GI as you can get .
No large / small pin issue as with Colts plus
chromed barrel .
 If you want an Armalite look in to    the   AR-180  .   This may very well be my next .223 rifle .
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out the ar15.com Limited Edition.  Lots of info on the forum about it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys,

Maybe you all missed it, and maybe I read it wrong.  But vmax84 posted:

>>I am leaning hard towards the CMP AR...<<

Does this refer to the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) same as buying a Garand from the govt?

I raise this as I had not heard one could buy an AR through the CMP.  Could someone please clarify?

BTW, vmax84, you could do a whole lot worse than buy one of the LEGP rifles from this board.  At $660 (I think) it delivers a lot of features.

James
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#8]
jmmybcool, you are right.  I misread the CMP for DCM (that I misstated as DMC in my post).  I have no idea what CMP AR's are running, so i can not comment.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I say go with BUSHMASTER!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the same boat as you are!!! From what I've seen, I've been really impressed with Bushmaster...they have a pretty good video available that will take you through assembly...it doesn't seem to difficult to build. Also the AR-15.com group purchase was suggested to me too!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I did'nt know the CMP sold AR's, the last time I looked at their website they did'nt offer one.  I will admit that it's been some time since I visited it though.  Any of the mfg's listed above will do fine, and the beauty of the whole system is if and when you decide to compete with the rifle all you have to do is buy a DCM upper from BM, DPMS, RRA, etc. and get a match trigger and you're ready to go.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Bushmaster Dissipator.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Bushmaster A2, 20" barrel, or 16" Dissipator, and have the barrel fluted.  The SEAL teams were running Bushmasters, and they have their choice and a blank check.  ArmaLite is good too, bushy is the better buy.  Take a look at the LEGP also.  Welcome to the asylum!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#14]
The Bushmaster DCM Rifle is available through affiliated clubs [url]http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Programs/AR15.htm[/url]

Think hard about whether you want to compete in Service rifle competition or want to add a scope.  They are not compatible goals for one rifle.  However, one can always have more uppers! [:D]

You will most likely buy a rifle and decide within 30 days that there is another configuration you can't live without.  On it goes until you are broke and divorced, but a happy man.

I would suggest that you really think about what it is exactly you think you want an AR for before you buy one.  I own several rifles including pre-ban DCM match, and all the way to Kewl M4geries.  My advice would be to start out with as close to an M16 or M4 as a civilian can get.  My favorite rifles are my 20" A2, and my M4gery.  If I were to choose one it would be my BM pre-ban M4gery with Phantom FS on a 14.5" Chrome lined BM barrel.  I like the A2, but many prefer the flatTop receiver.  An A2 can save you some money, but the Flat top gives you more sighting options.

Anyway, you can always change your mind, or have multiple uppers.  Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

-Troy
(The one in Florida)
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:57:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the good help.  I remember a month ago at the last gun show I was at, staring at all the AR-15 parts this one guy had....uppers, lowers, barrels, etc,etc.  I just could not believe how much is available for this rifle!!!!  I must have stood there for 5 minutes, mouth open, flat out bewildered!!  Stood there so long people were hanging their coats on me.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks.....what a cool sport, huh?!!!

Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#16]
BigGuns is right.  The Bushmaster CMP is a commemorative type rifle though and I believe your club has to have a youth program.  All other CMP/DCM rifles are actual military surplus rifles that are released for civilian ownership.

He is also correct about the devorced, broke but happy comment.

What part of the Great Lakes State are you in?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#17]
M15A2......all you need.......[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By black&green:
M15A2......all you need.......[heavy]
View Quote

TRUE!
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#19]
My suggestion is get a complete lower from Ed (Gunsmoke) for $235, and go from there.  Get a standard A2 16" upper, and if you decide you like the gun enough to compete, buy a DCM upper (Rock River is extremely good from what I hear).

James
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Contact Wes Grant at Mid-South Tactical Network ([email protected] or 901-854-7497) and inquire about the Knight's Armament SR-15 Match. It will do everything you're looking for, and then some.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow....so many different opinions!  My first was a Bushmaster 16" and I love it.  If I were buying my first right now, I would have to look very closely at the LEGP here.  It is a tremendous price for everything that you get.....I don't think you could go wrong with it.  Plus the great price on the different accessories that you might want to add is a definate plus.  I can't wait for mine!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top