Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2001 11:20:07 PM EDT
Looking into getting a 1911, but realized I know very little about them. I've shot them and have enjoyed them and want one, but never owned one yet. Kind of like we have Colt, Bush, Armalite, Oly, etc, for the AR-15's, I'd like to find out about the different manufactureres and quality/accuracy of them.

Anybody have a favorite 1911 site they like to surf? Somewhere I could learn a little more about the specifics of them, the do's and don'ts, and about selecting the right one to buy?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.1911forum.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
by 3 seconds.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a big 1911 fan, my second favorite design right after the AR.  Your best bet for a new 1911 is probably either a Kimber Classic Custom (or Classic Stainless) or a Springfield Armory Loaded model.  I prefer the Kimber, but the Springfield is a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:01:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking into getting a 1911, but realized I know very little about them. I've shot them and have enjoyed them and want one, but never owned one yet. Kind of like we have Colt, Bush, Armalite, Oly, etc, for the AR-15's, I'd like to find out about the different manufactureres and quality/accuracy of them.

Anybody have a favorite 1911 site they like to surf? Somewhere I could learn a little more about the specifics of them, the do's and don'ts, and about selecting the right one to buy?
View Quote
                                             There`s plenty of 1911 info on this site....also everyone that will try to convince you to buy everything else......[pistol]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:05:09 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want the best there is and are willing to PAY for it go for the Wilson CQB.

[url]http://www.wilsoncombat.com/pistols/cqb.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry a Wilson Combat CQB on a daily basis, but I also like the Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, which I also carry quite a bit.  If you can't afford to go that much on a 1911, take a serious look at the Kimber Classics or the Springfield "Loaded" models.  Both are excellent and shoot very well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]
you do not need to get wilson ,les bear etc... these are top end pistols.start with a basic box stock colt 1991 or springfeild loaded.for the money 5-6 hundred you will get a fine gun.after you become knoledgable and experianced with that pistol you can build it up of buy a more expensive 1911 if you think its worth the extra money .i can out shoot my shooting buddy with his wilson combat with all sorts of extra stuff.and my colt 1991 is stock.i would like to get some trigger work done but thats really ne
neccessary.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#8]
you do not need to get wilson ,les bear etc... these are top end pistols.start with a basic box stock colt 1991 or springfeild loaded.for the money 5-6 hundred you will get a fine gun.after you become knoledgable and experianced with that pistol you can build it up of buy a more expensive 1911 if you think its worth the extra money .i can out shoot my shooting buddy with his wilson combat with all sorts of extra stuff.and my colt 1991 is stock.i would like to get some trigger work done but thats really not
neccessary.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want the best there is and are willing to PAY for it go for the Wilson CQB.

View Quote
I looked into Wilsons, but they want preban AR prices for their 1911's. That's out of the question for me.

I was kind of torn between a Glock .40 cal, and a 1911, but the classic yet timeless appeal of the 1911 was irresistable.

I was thinking about buying a Kimber a local shop has new for about $600, but a buddy of mine told me I should get a Daley frame and build what I want. Any opinions?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#10]
BTW, thanks Treetop and ChaZ for the forums. The reviews alone answered a good ammount of questions I had.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#11]
The Para Ordnance 1911's fall in there somewhere.  They now have a limitted edition out.  Accepts hi-cap mags.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I was thinking about buying a Kimber a local shop has new for about $600, but a buddy of mine told me I should get a Daley frame and build what I want. Any opinions?
View Quote

If you can't afford custom guns, I doubt you'll be better off starting with a frame and having someone build you a gun.  I don't know anything about Daley frames other than I have NEVER seen a custom gun built on one.  Further, I seriously doubt you'd end up with a better gun than a Kimber starting with a Daley frame, even if you could get it built for under $600.

If you want a good 1911, you've got the right advice.  Look at the Kimber's and SA's availble locally and dry fire them.  Chances are you'll find one or the other with a trigger darn near as good as a 'smithed job.  Then, buy that gun.  I've handled both Kimbers and SA's that had crappy triggers.  You can't conclude that they all suck based on a particular sample.  These are production guns and some are more equal than others.  If you decide you want to customize even more later, either the Kimber or SA provides an excellent platform to start.  

I do agree with Scooper that you'll really need to be a master class shooter to differentiate between the performace of a Kimber/SA vs. a Baer, Wilson or other Custom gun, but if ya' got the bucks, (and don't mind having a gun you can't blame for lousy shooting)a custom sure would be a nice to have.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#13]
KIMBER KIMBER KIMBER KIMBER...maybe a springfield if you are on a budget. Get the idea?

I like my KIMBER better than my buddies 1500 Wilson. He has had some problems with jams. Never a problem with the Kimber or the 1911 A1 Springfield I had for that matter.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#14]
That would be $1500.00 (dollars)
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#15]
...until the day i die.

John browning admirering lib
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
When it comes to 1911/1991 models, I am not terribly picky.  I have a Colt M1991A1 Stainless that I bought NIB and I am perfectly happy with it.  I have had chances to shot the Kimbers, the Paras, the Les Baers, and all the other customs, and they are nice, but they are not something I am willing to carry and have get knackered about in the field.  Since I want to be able to carry my sidearm anywhere, I do NOT rpt NOT want the best fit and finish nor do I want to blow two grand on something I KNOW is going to get beat up!

THe principal difference between a custom and any stock 1911/1991 pistol is to be found in fit and finish.  Since I do not shoot competition, and my scores are not measured in group size, I don't need a pistol that shoots one hole at 25 or 50 yards.  

Don't let me stop you from spending the money if you really want to, but bear in mind the intended use of the pistol when you buy it.  

You will also find the various Government Models surprisingly easy to tune and tweak, and parts are available anywhere.  Most of the improvements in my M1991A1 were made with a Dremel and a polish set, and that gave me a trigger comparable to a $1500 Kimber.  Accuracy is more than accpetable for my needs and uses, and I do not have to worry about the finish or anything else.  

WHen you get into the Paras, bear in mind that they made their name with the "widebody" 1911 clones and tend to use a double stack mag.  WHile there is nothing inherently wrong with the idea, I do HIGHLY suggest that you make an opportunity to try one and fire it before you seriously consider buying one, as the wider grip does pose a problem for some shooters.  You are better off finding this out before you spend a bunch of money on the thing!

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a lot of experience building custom 1911's.  Whatever you do, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on a Wilson or Les Baer.  If you really want one and especially if you havent had one before, this is the smartest way to go about it.

Buy a standard 1911, Colt or Springfeild.  If you can spare the money get a Para but remember the mags are expensive.  Do not buy a Kimber or any of the other ones that come "customized".  

After you get the base gun, take it to a reputable gunsmith and have a beaver tail grip safety, and an extended thumb safety installed, along with a set of good sights.  Those are the only real "must have's" in most people's book.

From this point go shooting for a while.  The more you shoot it you will see what you will want.  You dont have to have a lot of the "custom" features everyone talks about.  If you want more accuracy you can get match barrels or better bushings installed.  More wieght, bull barrels or tungstom guide rods.  There are a million things you can do to a 1911 and no two are ever really the same.  Every person has their own features they like, find them for yourself, dont let anyone else tell you what you need, especially Les Baer or Bill Wilson.

The 1911 is the best firearm there is for personalizing it to your needs and not having to have it someone else's way.  I suggest you take advantage of that and you will wind up with your new favorite gun.

Or, you could spend about $500 too much with one of the "custom" guys "package" guns.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my commander in 45.It is the only handgun i own.Have no need for any other type besides a 1911.Have had the trigger redone and have fired all types of ammpo with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.Only other pistol i might buy besides a 1911 type would probably be a usp in 45.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Kimber! I just got one and it's 100% reliable (300 rds so far) and very accurate. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Colt, Kimber or Springfield and a Brownells catalog.  If you can strip it and reassemble for detail cleaning (plenty of books and vidoes to guide you) you can lightly customize it to your tastes.  The 1911 style guns have a hugh amount of drop-in parts avaialble.  What ever you decide on, use Wilson magazines.  They work.
[pistol]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#23]
X-1911
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Colt government model, series 80.  circa 1984 or so.... I absolutly love it.  it shoots better than I do.  As to the "high end" 1911's?  Hell they offer a value that is great! That said, I coudn't afford one either.

Of the current crop? I'd go Kimber as cheap as I  could. (I got a good feeling about those folks.)

Jack
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Shoot a 1911 in USPSA. Have had single stacks and hi-caps. Only in Limited no unlimited. I shoot a .40  STI limited.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:33:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Go for a single stack 1911. You have to start somewhere. You can go into limited 10  which a single stack can do or limited which is a step above. Everybody at the matches will help you and make sure you have a good time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:49:57 AM EDT
[#27]
If you want to carry, then go with what feels right with you. You want advise. that's it.  You want a gun that you will feel good with. Try them all! You wan't one that will work with no fail to you?  What ever you like you will argue! I the same! You have friends that can show you versions of things.
Make the best choice, because of what you want;need. Not what nobody tell's you. Think it over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top