Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2001 8:05:14 PM EDT
I have been looking at getting a vintage WWII rifle for a little bit and almost have gone to Big 5 and bought one of their surplus Mausers. But I've held of untill I learned a bit more about the rifle itself.
  What should I look for? has anyone seen this website? [url]http://www.mitchellsales.com[/url]
I saw this and am seriously considering getting one before they are all gone. Anyone got any opinions?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Turkish 8mm Mauser that I plan to "modernize", when I get some extra time. I got it from Big 5, for $49.99. I really couldn't keep from buying at least one at that price!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't fired it, since I don't have any 8mm ammo, and I'll be converting it to .308 later anyway. The bore and chamber look good, and it's complete. the rifle actually looks pretty nice as-is. I feel it's definitely a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
look for all the markings to be there. Ive had a few that the crests were gone and if you find one with a flower on the top of the action in front of the bolt in my opinion makes it worth big $$ ive seen one in my 12 years of colecting!!! Shotgun news treasury for this year has all of the markings listed and when and where they come from. $7 for the most info Ive seen in one place
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think anything beats an 1896 swede, but a 1938 swede comes close. I have both.

If you just want a good shooting 8mm, the Yugoslavian 98s are a good deal. I have a "produzece 44".

My sentimental favorite is my 1893 Spanish 7mm, made by Leowe.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one from Big 5, a Yugo Mauser made in 1944.
It has all matching numbers, it was just like brand new.
I cleaned it up, bought some PMC 8mm ammo, and went shooting.
At 50 yards with a 100 yard NRA target I was getting shot groups of less than a half inch offhand.
I bought a bunch of the Equdorian ammo from Eric the Ammoman (it's corrosive) and it shoots great.
I have taken it to the local rock busting pit and it's just as much fun as my AR15 is.
CavVet says that shooting it is too much like work!
I took it to a 100 yard range using that ammo from the Ammoman and sandbagging it using an NRA 100 yard target I was still getting groupd of less than a half inch.
I didn't even have to touch the sights.
Best of all I paid $159.00 for it from Big 5.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
treetop
before you do the barrel swap, do yourself a favor and run a few rounds through it.
as clear fire posted and i will attest to the accuracy of these 8mm's is interesting to say the least.
all of my rounds fired were all in the black @100 yds. and most of the rounds fired were this
[       ] close if not closer.
some of the best shooting i have done, open sights, with a center fire cartdridge!! then i picked up an israeli .308 one, that is as fun to shoot too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a 1908 sporterized Brazilian Mauser in 7mm. Had the barrel shortened 4",dog-legged the bolt handle,tapped the reciever for a one-piece scope mount,replaced the bolt safety with a Remington type safety,polished and reblued the whole thing and dropped it into a Monte Carlo style stock with a recoil pad. Paid $56 for the original rifle. Only problem is,the damn thing groups better than my M1A! Maybe if I shorten the barrel....Nah!

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#12]
http://rew.gunsnet.net/images/mauser_1.jpg

you can do some neat things with mausers

Rew
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#13]
So far,I've got 5 Mausers,2 Swedes,(m96&38) a Persian M98/29, a Intrearms mark 10 (22-250)and a M96 straight-pull (1996 mfg) Mauser, (.243) I like the straight-pull, it's not for everybody but it IS accurate, easily do 1 moa, Oddly, the straight-pull is the only German made one I have, I've read that there is something like 125 million of them floating around the world,That is supposed to be a low estmate,One thing is for sure they'll always be around.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#14]
At 50 yards with a 100 yard NRA target I was getting shot groups of less than a half inch offhand.
View Quote

You did that with the iron sights?  I just tried shooting my 1910 .308 Mauser yesterday and had a hard time aligning those itty-bitty open sights.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#16]
For more information on .308 converted Mausers, please check the Kuhnhausen book on Mausers.  He has a section describing some potential problems.

Also, if any of you are considering rebarrelling a Turkish Mauser, remember that it's a large ring action with a small ring barrel.  That limits your choice of barrels.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Check out the price of 8mm.Iv'e seen it as cheap as 4.00 for a 70 round bandolier.I could have bought a FN49 for 300 in good plus shape.Stupid stupid stupid and stupid.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Big 5 has a sale on both the unissued Yugoslavian M-48 and the crusty looking Turkish.  I haven't seen a Turkish that looked good with what looks like 40% bluing left.  Like my M-48, shoots well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#19]
we got in 20 of the yugo m48's at work, they is sweet. after checking the bores on a few i would say they are unfired, we did a transfer for a guy that got one of the mitchell guns, dont waste your money we got ours from lew horton and the guns where much nicer (id say unissued) bluing is 100% on most and the bores are all mint. they come with all the toys(bayonet, sling, cleaning kit, ammo pouch, cleaning rod, ect...) the leather with some is brand new, and some have brand new bayonets too, 100% bluing on em.  i picked one out that had a stock that almost looked like cherry and hid it in the back room for myself, they are one heck of a buy. beware though, they come packed in cosmo, so bring a rag with.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought two M-48's from Wholesale Guns and Ammo too. I think they're up to $179 now. They screwed up my ammo order, but the rifles came quickly and they got my ammo out to me after I griped a could of times. The Yugo's look very nice. As for the Turks, I think Empire Arms has the best examples, but they're more expensive than $40.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#21]
WOW, the ones from [url]http://www.mitchellsales.com/[/url] is priced at:

"Shipping/insurance is $12 per rifle.  The photo on the web is the Premium grade, which sells for $495.  The Collector grade for $295 is very, very nice; however, it has shallow, surface handling marks on the stock.  Otherwise as nice as the Premium - these are unissued guns.  :)  Martha"

Neutrino45 [:X*]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I kept the top of the sight on the black of the target, I was about 2 inches off of the bull.
At 50 yards the 100 yard NRA target is pretty big. It takes a little practice to shoot with those sights if you are not used to them. to me they seem to be like Ruger 10/22 sights.

Matt VDW
You did that with the iron sights? I just tried shooting my 1910 .308 Mauser yesterday and had a hard time aligning those itty-bitty open sights.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Just finished up bringing a 1938 Turkish Mauser back to life.  Spent hours removing the cosmoline, using Simple Green and hot water.  Nice, shiny bore.  Refinished the stock.  All told, spent about 12 hours and came away with a neat, good shootin' gun with a history.

az_paul
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Some of the C&R guys I was talking to said the Yugo should be zeroed to shoot about 3" high at 100 yards. That will give you a 200 meter zero, which is the lowest range setting on the rear sight. I think they are using that hot Turk ammo, not commercial.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Ijust ordered a m-48 on friday; any suggestions for the next surplus purchase?
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a spray bottle with a 2-1 mix of amonia and water to spray down the Mauser when I am done shooting it.

The Mauser has a kick?
C'mon, it's a big pussycat. Of course I think that 3 inch 1 1/2 ounce magnum slugs out of my 12 gauge don't really have that much of a kick either......
[X]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#27]
DooooH!!
I should have given you guys this link to begin with!

Open it up and scroll down to the Mauser forum!
[url]http://pub42.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums[/url]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had a couple of the fine Swedish Mausers.  Traded the 1906 M96 off and picked up a 1901 M96 #'s matching unit.  It is 100 years old this year and I plan to clean and pretty it up before shooting it to celebrate its 100 year birthday.
I picked up a Swedish AG-42B Ljungman semi-auto battle rifle in 6.5x55 to have a WWI & WWII set-up to bring to the range for fun.
Also, a couple of Russian Mosin-Nagant rifles to play with.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my C& R a couple months back and so far I have picked up a couple good Russian M44's delivered for $80 and a brand new 1944 Yugo Mauser delivered for $120 including bayo/scabbard/cleaning kit/ammo pouch.

I would really like to pick up a CZ52 and a Esat German Mazarov but being from Kali it's just like a regular purchase.

Link Posted: 5/8/2001 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought my Yugo M48 from Big 5 for $169.00.  It's was definitely unissued and all the serial numbers matched.  I actually went to a few stores and got the best looking one...when I'm at the range I get asked all the time if I refinished it myself and I get this incredulous look in return when I tell them that I purchased it that way.  We get the corrosive ammo from J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ...1400 rounds for $79.10.  Can't beat the price..it's even cheaper when you buy 2800 rounds($74.48 per 1000).  It definitely let's you know it's there when you fire it unlike the AR...heck it has a metal buttstock cap.   =)
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Turkish 8mm ammo uses a lighter bullet.  I chronographed a few rounds and it averaged 2870 fps (1943 headstamped).  Also, one of the rounds already had a split case neck and the bullet just about fell out.  Pulling the bullet off and looking at it, it's definitely a lot lighter than "standard" 8mm Mauser ammo.  I've pulled some Egyptian surplus that weighed in at 197 grains.  I'd guess that the Turk bullet is 150 grains.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I pity the fool that doesn't get one of them 50 dollar Turkish Mausers and a pile of 8mm ammo at 50 bucks for 700 rounds.

This stuff ain't going to be around in 10 years, and I bet UPS slaps "hazardous material" fees on loaded ammo very soon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I picked up an M 24/47 (Yugo Mauser?) at a gun local shop here in MA, complete w/ all the tchotchka that come with it (bayonet, sling, clg. kit, ammo pouches) plus a box of 8mm Yugo ammo (1200 rounds), as a package, for 150 bucks. I then spent a couple of days scrubbing out cosmoline with stiff nylon brushes, detergent and lotsa elbow grease. What a gem- it was obviously FTR'd and has a nice shiny bore.

The first time I shot it this week, the cosmo, due to heat, still sweat out of the handguard, so the stock pieces got the treatment again- and the wood turned grey. I'm told that is the cosmoline, a lanolin derivative, still sweating out from the pores of the wood. Once I had scrubbed the grey and gunk away, I've been rubbing in a coat of boiled linseed oil every day- the Mauser looks even better now.

You guys are right- these babies are accurate as hell, but with the ammo I've been using, the recoil takes some getting used to. 30 rounds a day is about all I can handle. These guns are a lot of fun- I think I will get some Turkish Mausers and revive them, too. Get them- and their ammo - while they are still cheap and plentiful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top