Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2001 4:36:50 PM EDT
Fox Breaking news!!!! There is supposedly a tornado to touch down between Addison and Richardson. WTF. This Kali kid would rather have an earthquake. Loading mags as we speak, and have BOB ready. Damn only 3 MRE's left. What to do? What to do? What to do?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea there flashing it on the screen here to.
  Houston.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got to get used to them. I'm in the land of Oz, so I've been living with them all my life.

At least a tornado is selective in a narrow band, whereas an earthquake takes out a whole area at once.

And don't worry about the MRE's - they'll be in Corpus Christi by the time you'll need them.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:Tornado Warning in DFW. This sucks!!!!
View Quote

Actually I think it blows!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope you dont live in a trailer park.
If you do just kiss your ass and your ARs good by.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ahhh who is BOB and what do you mean you have him ready?....On second thought...don't answer that lt. [:D]
View Quote

BOB is my butler. [;)]

Quoted:
I hope you dont live in a trailer park.
If you do just kiss your ass and your ARs good by.
View Quote

Nope. I here trailer parks are magnet for tornado's. So I sprung for the extra cash and went with the room at the YMCA [;D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I hear you LT, I moved from CA here to Iowa in 95. I at least know what was going on in a earthquake, but this tornado crap scares the piss out of me.
TAC
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
By the way if you hear a Train coming and there is no tracks, that means it is real clouse.
If you run you only die tired. So stand and fight.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Auntie Em, Auntie Em!!!

COLTSHORTY

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Well the rain has stopped. The news just said that it is headed towards Garland now. They are still seeing swirls in the sky. I want hot chick to cuddle up with right about now. But alas, I only have my CAR15 to fondle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I bet it does!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Just have to get use to them Lordtrader. I'm about 95 miles north of you and we have the same thing going on here, we even had the sirens going off a little while ago.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Well just saw on the news that there is an unconfirmed touch down of a tornado near Rockwall. Well I guess its good that you can predict tornadoes. You can't do that with earthquakes. However you can't do diddly against either one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't worry unless you hear the horns.  When you do, get 2 beers on your next trip to the fridge and stay on the bottom floor.  I've been in tornado alley for almost 40 years and I'm at the point where I stand outside looking for one.  I've never seen one.

It's tuff to get excited anymore.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't miss that I used to live in Mesquet!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#17]
No earthquake warning here.
In fact there never is a warning, just wake up and the world has Parkinsons.
Tornado alley, huh?
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quit whining.  There is a price for freedom after all, don't ya know!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#19]
The storm went around me then headed south. I wanted to chase it so I could finally see one, but my wife told me to knock it off. I guess it's a guy thing. I've lived here 16 years now and haven't seen one yet. When and if I do see one I hope it's in a uninhabited area.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm with Attman,

I lived in tornado alley for 27 years, and never got to see one.  Despite running outside for years when the sirens went off.

To be honest, I'll take tornadoes over earthquakes any day!!!!!

Your right about the cutie though, they are fun to cuddle with you need to "seek cover"[sex]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Lordtrader, I grew up in the Midwest and saw a tornado go thru my home town when I was a kid.  I now live on the East Coast and I am a lot more scared of hurricanes than I am of tornados.  Earthquakes would also be scary.  Tornados move in a narrow corridor, and you are fairly safe if you can take cover in a basement.  Generally it is a good idea to head to the basement any time there is a tornado warning.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Heck, you think you got it bad?  Well, I live in Arkansas we got all the tornados you could possibly want!  And guess what?  Saturday morning we had a 4.4 quake!  So we've got it all now![:)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I live in an apt. complex, no basement. Luckily I live on the bottom floor. Personally, since I grew up in CA, I'll take earthquakes anyday. I sleep through quakes. Hell I slept through the one in Northridge. It was still like a 5.0 when it reached Orange County. I've slept through many while I was growing up in S.F. Guess you just get used to them, kinda like you get used to tornadoes for you folks out here. Oh well c'est la vie. Now I have 5 mags loaded. Guess I'll go shooting after work tomorrow [:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep.  A tornado is a lot like a marriage.  At first there's lots of sucking and blowing, but in the end you lose your house.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yep.  A tornado is a lot like a marriage.  At first there's lots of sucking and blowing, but in the end you lose your house.
View Quote

LOL [:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Aaaah yes. Tornado warnings.

Since I moved to western Colo. 11yrs ago I haven't had to worry about them whenever the skies darken. Don't miss them at all.

And these people have NO idea what a blizzard is. Those I kinda' miss.

About all you can do LT. is find a safe place to hide and wait it out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Phil in Seattle:
Since moving to Seattle, I have yet to see that nasty green color the sky would turn before some serious thunderstorms,
View Quote

Even though I'm in New England, I have seen that nasty green a few times. Is that spooky or what? I think the first time was in 1988, when a couple of tornadoes chewed up a couple of towns near here, and the last time was in 1994 I think, when one touched down a few miles from me, in Great Barrington, MA. Destroyed a bunch of stuff, including the fairgrounds, a shopping center and a cemetary.

I woke up to the high winds, and a wailing siren off in the distance made it sound like the thing was bearing down on my place. Scared the crap out of me. I ran into my daughter's room and snatched her out of her crib, scaring the crap out of her and raced to the basement.

Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

ROFLMAO!!!! So true!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh don't such a baby! Move to OKC. We've had a tornado warning every night this week.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Lordtrader,
I had been living in Moore for less than three weeks when that May 3rd tornado went through Oklahoma City, Moore, Del City, Tinker AFB, and all of the rest of the podunk towns along the way.
It passed within a quarter mile of my house, it was two blocks from the Homeland store where my wife was working at the time.
Buy yourself a generator, if you own a housr either build a concrete re-enforced "hidy hole" in the house (you lose a closet) or build a storm shelter.
Get yourself one of those battery powered storm alert NWS radios too.
All I can say is that I would rather have an earthquake than a tornado anyday.

I have video of the tornado going down across Santa Fe street in Moore/OKC. You can see when it hit a power transfer station (big fucking explosion) and when it took out those big house propane storage tanks (big fireballs).
My wifes car was parked next to some hick pick-em-up truck, the truck ended up with a 2 X 4 through the passenger side door. One side of my wifes car was covered with grass from the field and fiberglass insulation, not to mention about 3 inches of mud. Here it is two years later and I still find that crap in the engine bay and the undercarrage.
The wife of a freind of mine was the manager of the Westmoore Arms Apartments, that was right across the street from Westmoore HS, it destroyed the entire complex. She was identifying dead residents the next day for the police.
One guy who was stationed at Tinker with me had his entire roof lifted off of his house and then set down about 6 inches off center.
He had a Toyota Celica, it had a 2 X 4 that had been driven through the right front fender and the right wheel and rim.
Nothing happened to his Harley that was parked in the driveway right next to the Celica though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Oh yea, I was part of the Navy clean-up crew in Midway City.
The day after the tornado we found 78 guns laying around. We also found more than $1200 in cash.
Nothing gets you going like hearing that alarm go ff and then hearing that mechanical voice start up with "The National Weather Service in Norman has issued a tornado alert. Residents in the following areas should immediatly seek shelter:
Moore, Norman, Oklahoma City, Del City, Cleaveland County, northwest Oklahoma County.........."

Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow, I must be one unlucky dude. I have seen many of them. Grew up in South Dakota, and have also lived in Missouri, and Illinois. In South Dakota had one go down one street south of the street we lived on. My friends house got the shit tore out of it and a number of other houses down the street. Our house was not damaged. We were driving in from the lake one time with the sirens going off. Saw 3 tornadoes developing up in the clouds. 2 of them touched down. the 3rd one did not and dissipated before it touched down. One of these tornados touched down in the trainyard. My father and brother and I saw it actually pick a single locomotive engine up off the ground and drop it as it passed over it. It was not very high off the ground, maybe 10 feet. But the amazing thing is that they weigh approx. 400,000 pounds minimum.
Another time our family was on vacation. We were driving through the middle of Iowa pulling our trailer in the middle of nowhere with the radio blasting tornado warnings. We saw a tornado develop out of the clouds and touch down behind us and off to the left side of us travelling in the direction we were driving. We are starting to get a tad bit worried because this tornado is moving pretty fast quartering towards us. All of a sudden a highway appears out of nowhere with a viaduct going over the highway. There was already a semi-tractor parked under it on the right lane shoulder so we parked under it also on the left lane shoulder. The tornado overshot us and quartered past the viaduct a few hundred yards out and then all of a sudden dissipated as it was about to cross the highway. When we think about it now, the viaduct was probably a pretty stupid place to be parked under. An awful lot of concrete to come down on you. When I lived in Illinois I saw another tornado develop and touch down an 1/8 of a mile from my subdivision coming straight toward us.
The sirens went off and it ended up causing some damage in the corner farthest away from me.
I have also seen numerous funnel clouds develop
but not fully develop and touch down. My father grew up in S.W. Minnesota in a small town. When he was a kid a tornado went through the town.
The town Sherrif was patrolling the S.W. side of town and the tornado came up on him from behind and picked up his car and carried it clear across town and set the car down on the N.E. side of the town. The car was set down on all 4 wheels. The car was not dropped real hard
and the Sherrif did not get hurt. I would have loved to seen that. I should say that our family has been pretty damn lucky. Best place to get, if you can, is in a basement in the S.W. corner. Tornados typically travel from Southwest to Northeast. If you live in a trailer park, good luck and say your prayers.
I would dig a hole and live in it before I would live in a trailer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey LT...do you have real MRE's or are they left over ramen and weiners!!!!  Yeah, it's true there's not much you can do about a tornado except go in the closet, pull your pants down, and kiss your ass good bye!!!  You want to see me scared then put me driving in a car, especially at night, during a bad thunderstorm.  I've had several nights at work on patrol where it just got so bad with the rain and wind that I thought I was driving right into a tornado.    
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:26:06 AM EDT
[#34]
We lived in KCMO until I was almost 11.  I can remember many mornings waking up in the cellar after there had been a tornado warning the previous evening.  We drove out to see friends in Raytown once after one had gone thru there and I saw pieces of straw (as opposed to hay) driven into a phone pole.  I've lived in New England over 35 years now, but I still get uneasy when the sky turns that puke green/yellow color.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top