Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2001 7:21:36 AM EDT
Im going to be buying my first AR-15. Should I go kit or pre assembled? I have a budget of around $700. I dont need anything major fancy, just a nice AR rifle with ironsights. 16" to 20" barrel. I was thinking about a Bushmaster as I hear they are the bst for the money. How hard is it to assemble an AR-15 from a kit? Are there special tools needed? Like I siad my budget is around $700, and I know thatseems low to some of you, but the most Ive ever spent on a rifle is $300 for my SAR-1 AK. Any help would be appreciated.

19 D
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I like Bushmaster myself for quality and price. Besides, Colt is all PC and sh#t now.

...BTW are you currently a 19D? I'm in 1AD in Germany - quite a few Cav Scouts and Tankers here.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can fix a car you can build an AR.

It is not brain surgery.  If the upper is already assembled, you don't even need any special tools, though a roll pin punch is nice.

For your first AR, I recommend a complete Bushmaster.  Chrome lined barrel, quality, warranty, etc.  Don't start off cheap, since you get what you pay for, and not too many of us are willing to start off with a headache.

My $.02
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with the Bushmaster and buy the rifle complete.  You should be able to pick one up for $700.
You will not save any money building a BM from scatch.  The only way to save on cost is to go with Model 1, Gunsmoke, J & T, etc..  If you choose to build for the knowledge and fun of it, just go for it.  Assembly is simple and straight forward.  Get the Marine Corps techincal manual # TM 05538C-23.  It is available from several sources including Bushmaster.  Read it over several times, maybe ask a few  questions on the Build it forum, then go for it.

Special tools:  small brass hammer, punch pin set, pivot pin assembly tool.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#5]
"hey new guy"

bushmaster is excelent first rifle
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#7]
One more vote for Bushmonster. A Dissipator would be even better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top