Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2001 6:20:36 AM EDT
Im considering getting a chrome or titianium-nitride hardened bolt carrier.  Can anyone backup what ive heard that they are much easier to clean than standard bolt carriers ?
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Cleaning these is supposedly a "just wipe them off" proposition.  I have also heard that they wear the other parts more quickly than a regular carrier due to the hardness of their coating.  Is it really that much of a chore to clean your carrier?
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#2]
chrome carrier, bolt, etc are a real breeze to clean...quick wipe, maybe a little brushing..
TiN is supposed to be more durable with a higher degree of "lubricity"..no 1st hand exp with TiN..
Either way, get those parts cryogenically treated..well worth the cost.[^]

leaf
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Leaf, what will cryo treating do for these parts?

Spray
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Sprayboy:

I understand cryo only as a layman thru the 40+ hours of web research i've done, plus as and end user....

Cryo changes the molecular composition AND structure of metals.

The benefits include: tighter surface molecular structure yields:

higher "lubricity",
increased resistance to wear
increased rate of heat dissipation
increased torsional and tensile strength

cleaning is easier because the surface is a "tighter grain", less crud sticks to it.

I saw a tech report on TiN, saying that its durability/wear factor is incresed by 200to400 per cent...I can't remember the increase for chromium plating.

Best think is to research cryo treatment on the web, look up "austenite", "martensite", "heat treatment..

Be advised that PROPER cryo treatment takes temp down to minus 320 degrees F; holds for X hours, returns to room temp, then UP TO x degrees (400??) F for the final heat treatment.
it is not just the deep freeze that everyone thinks of it.

for example: 304 stainless is
"austinitic", deep freeze to room temp convererts it to "brittle martensite"; final heat treat converts the brittle to hard/durable martensite (possibly magnetized!!).

Fascinating process and results.

hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Birdsong has a coating that supposedly does the same thing, or I should say has similar results and is priced pretty well. Sorry I dont have a phone # and I dont think they have a site.
I`ll look if interested.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 5:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Gentlemen.  Where can I buy a Chromed or Ti Bolt?
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#7]
You can buy the chrome or Ti-nitride bolts from ASA.

I have owned both the standard and chrome bolts...I much prefer the chrome. It is a breeze to clean. Looks cool too.

My Savage 10 tactical has the nitride coated bolt. It is also very nice.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]
DPMS carries both chromium and TiN;

I have to suggest Smith Enterprises who made mine; excellent quality control, ZERO problems under all different tortue tests.

leaf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top