Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2001 2:25:25 PM EDT
I am interested in getting one the day they change the law to "shall issue".  What do I have to do to get ready?  Safety classes, finger prints?  I would like ideas to make this process as painless as possible!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Michigan recognizes Florida permits.They put a stop to residents getting out of state permits.But I believe that was overturned in court.You need a picture (current)class (any NRA firearms saftey or self defense)I think a 135.00 fee.Wait on background check(finger prints)This gets around were it is hard to get a permit.The reson it was overturned is the court said you cannot deny a citizen of Michigan what you dont a non res.It is also good in Indiana.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.mcrgo.org
Try this web site.
I need to move...Ohio will be the last in line to issue.

Rick
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Illinois  will be .Wait Ohio last then Illinois never.Well at least Jesse Jackson makes up for it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as I know Michigan still does not recognize out of state CCW's for residents.

To get ready for the new shall issue law, you will need one of the new applications, which the State Police will probably not pass out until July 1, when the new law goes into effect.  There are still some legal challenges to the law but those should be ruled in our favor by July 1.  You will need to take the NRA Personal Protection class, or something equivalent to it.  Your training certificate must state on it that it meets the requirements of the MI CCW law.  You can't get your finger prints done early, it has to be done with the application.

The best thing to do is get the proper training, get the gun, practice and wait.  If you haven't already you should join the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO) and help out.  We need all the help we can get as we are a party in the lawsuit trying to get shall issue to go into effect.  We need people writing letters, recruiting new members, helping out at public meetings...ect.

The website for MCRGO can be found at http://www.mcrgo.org

Stephen Wire
Member MCRGO Board of Directors
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If I were you I would take the CCW safety course as sson as possible. The longer you wait the more crowded and expensive the classes are going to be. Its an 8 hour class. I believe you do not need to be fingerprinted if your local police dept has them on file from your previous handgun purchases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top