Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2001 6:50:45 AM EDT
When is that baby going to be ready to ship so that I can get my hands on one.  What kind of accuracy is it getting?  What is the range of this cartridge before it starts dropping like a rock?  Those Tromix uppers sure do look exciting.  This Tromix guy is my kind gunmaker.  Keep up the excellent work sir!
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw his stuff at the Tulsa show a few weeks ago, and I'll agree it's first rate.  I prefer the .440 Corbon myself.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes! Yes!

And have you seen his .475 Tremors? - about the same thing only with a .475 cal bullets!

Saving my pennies...
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I to have a huge woody for one of these SOCOMS. He is also working on an AK .458 SOCOM
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Production .458 SOCOM uppers will begin shipping on Monday, May 7.  I finally received the 1:18 twist .458 barrel blanks on Thursday, which were delayed about 10 days since UPS lost them for awhile.  The target ship date for production uppers was May 1, set back in early March, so I really wasn't off the mark too much.  CH4D has dies in stock, I have 12,000 pieces of brass, and HJ Ballistics will have loaded ammo on the shelf next week.  I fired the .458 SOCOM quite a bit last week running about 400 rounds through two uppers in one afternoon.  I had one semi auto 16" gun and one full auto 10.5" gun.  Both ran without a hitch for the entire shooting session.  I put about 250 or so full power rounds through the full auto 10.5" gun and it worked great.  My shoulder has one hell of bruise on it, but other than that, nothing broke.

The AK-47 chambered in .458 SOCOM has run about 200 rounds total without a problem as well.  I still need to clean it up and run several thousand rounds through it before I can be certain the thing is going to work.

The .475 TREMOR AR-15 is waiting on the chamber reamer and it looks like it will be about 2 weeks before that is ready.  I already have some cases formed, bullets are in stock, and the .475" barrel blank is here as well.  This should come together rather quickly as soon as the reamer arrives.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
www.tromix.com

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a .458 upper but would love it if someone would start manufacturing 10rd .458 mags for ARs. :)
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
OOOOOMAMA...oooooooooMAMA...oooooooooooomama
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay...  I am SOLD!!!

Time to start saving my pennies, but I am gonna need some mags!!!

Tony...  Please make some Base Plates for the mags that say "Tromix .458 SOCOM - 10 Rounds", and install the necessary follower so that I can purchase some "10 round mags" here in the PRK  [;)]  I'd really like to get some 15's, but due to state law, we can only have 10's or smaller.

What the hell, I could use some .458 SOCOM 7 rounders also...  [:D]

Seriously...  I saw something that the Steel mags are better than the Aluminum ones for this application due to bulging...  Is that correct?

Wonder how many .458's my Beta-C would hold  [0:)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Not all the alluminum GI mags are the same....some are softer than others, and will bulge VERY slightly with the .458 SOCOM rounds.  I would say that about 90% are fine and even the 10% or so that swell a hair, still work just fine anyway.  I have some that were baked at 600 degrees and it annealed the alluminum to the point that they swell up big time and won't work. Personally, I have been using the steel USA 40 round mags which hold 15 rounds or the Thermold 30's that hold 10.  They both work outstanding.  The only magazine that I have found that won't work, is the Thermold expandable 30/45 mags.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Thermolds... Hmmm...  How about the Reinforced Orlites?

I have a few of them that could be nice for "dedicated" 458 use.

I still think that a BIG business could be created by making the correct floorplates with the company Logo, and "Tromix .458 SOCOM - 10 Rounds", and a "proper" follower for us poor slobs in the PRK.  The follower could be a green or black that is simply flat smooth, rather than having a bump like the typical .223 followers.

Of course, anyone who purchased any (and imported them into CA after 1/1/2000), would be violating the law if they "converted" their 10 round .458 SOCOM mags to accept 30 rounds of .223, but geee...  whose gonna enforce that one [:D]

It really makes me wish I had purchased a bunch of the USA mags when I had the chance, as cheap as they were, but who knew a few years ago that they would ever be good for something.

So Tony...  Have you tried a Beta-Ca with the 458 yet?
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The way the Beta C is designed, will prevent it from working with the .458 SOCOM once the rounds go through the tower and try to enter the drums.  You could use one of those 90 round snail units however.  It would hold about 32 rounds of .458.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Could someone post or e-mail the URL for these goodies?  Like I need another hobby, but I WANNA KNOW!

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the beta mags...www.dealernfa.com ruben will do you right...love my beta.
View Quote

Yup...  Got a couple of 'em... Me too  [:D]

So what other rounds will work with the beta c? anyone know? if you say the 50ae will, i will call ruben in the morning!!! but i know i couldn't get so lucky....100 rounds of 50ae, that would be sweet, hey does the 50ae work in the snail drum? you try that yet ruben?
View Quote

50AE in the Beta... Sweet, but doubtful though... The .223 brass is roughly 9mm sized, so even if the 50AE made it down past the tower, you'd probably only get about 45 of them, but that's still lotsa noise, and major damage  [:)]  Expensive too  [:D]

I have to get me one of these...  I really do...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top