Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2001 10:07:56 AM EDT
I presently drive a Nissan Altima, it's old and breaking down.  I'm leaning towards a Nissan Xterra to replace it.  I think they look cool, have off-road abilities, and hopefully are reliable and fun to drive.

Does anyone out there have one?
What's a good deal on purchase and/or lease?
What's bad about it, if anything?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I think its a fagmobile.  No offense, but whenever I see them, they usually have those "rainbow" homo stickers.  That might explain why they make them in all those fruity colors.  No offense, man.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I test drove an Xterra, they are offering various gifts.  Getting a Kelty bladder pack.

At [url]www.kbb.com[/url] click on "buy a new car" and CarsDirect.com  Build up the car and they show you the invoice and their markup.  There's some good car writeups at another link, but you get to find them.

Didn't like the Xterra, poor gas milege, emergency brake in wrong location, their 3.4l v6 sucks, a heavy beast, slow acceleration on freeway.  For the money, a Ford/Mazda Escape in 3.0l v6 is better.  

Buy American damn-it, no more chi-com.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]
GET ONE,
next to landrovers they have the best stock offroad capabilities of any 4x4 SUV on the market. Don't listen to that guy's Fagmobile comment, he's prolly a whitetrash bastard who shops at walmart, lives in a trailer and only drives american.

The Xterra is an great 4x4

[img]http://www.off-road.com/nissan/newarticles/1/moab4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#4]
the xterra is a great truck BUT it does have it's draw backs

narrow cabin, thristy, no fast but not slow either.  i wanted a suv but didn't want to spend more than $24k - so i ended up with a 2 year old land rover and really enjoy it.  but the mpg is low like the nissan's.

if i had to do it all over again - i'd get a used isuzu trooper.  these puppies have terrible resale (my gain) and i don;t get misjudged by people as yo my income level.  most people think land rover = big $$.  the suprise is it cost less than an explorer and about the same as a modestly loaded cherokee and less than a xterra with the same equipment

steve
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I've heard that it is under powered too. At freeway speeds, when you step on the gas it doesn't go any faster just louder.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]
If at all possible get a Jeep Cherokee, or buy a surplus Hummer from the army.  Is this a city vehicle with light offroad use or are you a trailhog and like going into the unknown?
Ice
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey BCBUD,  I own a Land Rover and offroading is my hobby.  The nissan doesnt cut it.  Best 4x4 is Humvee, then LR, Toyota tacoma, and so on.  Nissan doesnt come near.  By the way, nice pic, poser.

[img]http://www.landroverenthusiast.com/enthusiastgallery/pb5_01.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 5/3/2001 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
HAHAHAHA

Poser..haven't heard THAT word in a while!

Publius, this is the same deal as with guns: what will it be used for? how much off road capability do you need? What kind of reliability will the various manufacturers give you?

I am partial to Toyo's, cuz none that I or my family have ever owned have had any major mechanical problems. However, the 4Runner is $35k, and the LC is $55k! I hear that Nissans share a similar rep of durability, so i was looking to the affordable XTerra. Maybe check out some other sources, like www.edmunds.com, or consumer reports?

Ironically, the wife wanted a Jeep TJ, so we ended up getting her one instead of an XTerra!

Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey BCBUD,  I own a Land Rover and offroading is my hobby.  The nissan doesnt cut it.  Best 4x4 is Humvee, then LR, Toyota tacoma, and so on.  Nissan doesnt come near.  By the way, nice pic, poser.

View Quote

Kiss my ass, i own a Discovery and a Ex MOD landrover defender (right hand steering, offroad only)

Firstly, if you want to get into "real" 4x4's
i'd rather drive a unimog over a hummer,
i was refering to stock mainstream S.U.V's
I realize the comment about it being second best wasn't exactly correct, there are a few more SUV's ahead Ala Landcruiser, Cherokee, Jeep TJ and so on

but their either overpriced, or american built
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
i own one publius. i think its a decent 4x4. everyone of course will have their opinion against or for it. depending on what they drive.
its not my everyday car, just drive it when the itch gets to me. its a basic vehicle, not a lot of creature comforts. but worth the money in my opinion. pros and cons like every damn vehicle rolling around out there. test drive one, and see for yourself.  mines not a fagmobile tho, kingfish. sorry to break your little heart.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]
whare the hell can you get a surplus hummer at a decent price, military not civilian.

havent seen surplus yet.

but would love to have one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I like Xterras except for, as has been said here, that Nissan V6 just isn't enough.  If you really want one, wait until next year when they'll have a supercharger.

Right now I own a 97 Grand Cherokee full time 4x4 and I couldn't be happier.  It sees most duty in downtown Atlanta, where the streets suck.. but I've taken it out in it's share of mud etc. too.  I don't think Jeep could have done a better job of combining on road refinment with off road capability.  Just like to share. :)
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a digital photo of our HMMWV bypassing a Tank Obstacle by driving down off a rather high road. What the truck was able to do makes the pictures here look pathetic. I ma not sure if my picture (taken from the rear and much obstructed by underbrush does it justice though. If anyone wnats to post it (I don't care to try and figure out how) I can e-mail it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#14]
It depends what you want to do w/ the truck.

If you're going to do a lot of 4 wheeling, I would recommend you look at a truck w/ steel ladder frame.  They hold together better for rough use.  I know the 4runner and the jeep Cheeroke is good in this area but the jeep has transmission problems.

If you're going to do occationnal 4 wheeling, then a unibody will be fine.  I think the Xterra fall under this category but I'm not positive.  The unibody trucks are Pathfinder, RAV4, CRV. etc.

Since you're targeting small SUV, the Xtrerra is best among the Rav4, CRVs, Sportage.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Getcha a real truck.

[img]http://www.pavementsucks.com/album/hh0741.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#16]
yes its true the landrover is the number one soccer mom suv on the market.i do alot of 4 wheelin myself and i have yet to see one of those poser suv landrovers on the trail.
there is only one serious 4 wheel drive veheical out there and we all know its name...   JEEP.
LANDROVERS ARE BEAUTIFUL MACHINES,MUCH TO NICE AND LUXURIOS TO DO SERIOUS OFF ROADING WITH.I HAVE SEEN ONE LANDROVER AND IT WAS A SERIOUS RIG.it was an older one 1965 model.it had a snorkle and all.looked like the ones from the movie daktari with john wayne.now those old landrovers were for real.and from what i understand unless you buy one of the ones that run upwards of 50 grand you got yourself a pritty(poser)little grocerie geter.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#17]
btw get the nissen,its a damm good suv,as good as any suv at twice the price.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Pinzgauer!
Actually you guys are talking me out of the X-Terra.
How about my other two choices, the Explorer Sport Trac and the Toyota Tunda in V8?
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#19]
The Landrover is a girly mobile.  I was going to get a Landrover Discovery 2 until I noticed that every time I saw one there was a chick driving it.  The only guy I know who has one is a little light in the loafers and that says enough for me.  I am thinking about the Nissan Pathfinder.  It has a pretty powerful V6 and with gas prices where there at a V6 is looking a little better that a V8 right now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Landrover and Discovery are English sissy-$hit cars.  Whossies drive these POS.

Has anyone thought that maybe Publius is buying it to drive and not 4x4.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry guys but the Toyota LC FJ-40 is 2 jeeps on steroids then the FJ-60 will out do any jeep, truck (usa or foriegn) They are old true designs & cant be beat, There are 3 mil. hummers near me in Hawkins TX. 1985 to 1987 year models $28,000
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh yeah?

[img]http://www.jps.net/badzorak/WebImages/BLAZER.JPG[/img]

My Blazer will tear up all your foofy toys.

I just needs to get the bricks of Dexcool sludge out of my cooling system first...

hehehe [BD]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Sorry guys but the Toyota LC FJ-40 is 2 jeeps on steroids then the FJ-60 will out do any jeep, truck (usa or foriegn) They are old true designs & cant be beat, There are 3 mil. hummers near me in Hawkins TX. 1985 to 1987 year models $28,000
View Quote

About the only advantage an FJ40 has over a Jeep is the full-floating rear axle. Granted, that's a big advantage, but upgrading a Jeep's rearend to a full-floater is a lot less trouble than replacing the Birfields on an FJ40 front end with something a little less prone to grenading when a spinning wheel hits the ground. When talking strength and durability, I'd rate vehicles such as any Jeep (CJ, YJ, or TJ), Land Rover, 66-77 Bronco, or IH Scout/Scout II as equal to the TLC. They each have their weaknesses, but any one of them will get you wherever you can think of going, regardless of the conditions.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]
jeeps rule the off road world,no question about it.why do you think there called JEEPS Dahaaaaaa
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I think your only choice is the Pontiac Aztek.  Accept no substitutes.

[img]http://www.pontiac.com/aztek/images/photo08_lg.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#26]
So thats what those are..

I thought because it was the year 2001 they were driving around space pods. Ugly space pods at that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
whare the hell can you get a surplus hummer at a decent price, military not civilian.

havent seen surplus yet.

but would love to have one.
View Quote

cmon am i gonna get an answer here???
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So thats what those are..

I thought because it was the year 2001 they were driving around space pods. Ugly space pods at that.
View Quote

Anyone remember the Simpson's episode where Homer's long lost brother hires him to design a car? I found the episode funny, but never thought a car company could be so stupid in real life...

... Then I saw the Pontic Aztec.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I'll take my '64 power wagon over any of that jap crap out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top