Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2001 12:05:08 PM EDT
My owners manual says to change the oil every 6000 miles.  What do you say?  BTW, the basic oil change that used to cost me 18 bucks plus all the taxes etc. now costs $24.00!
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I do every 3000 or so; I drive a 93 Nissan Altima w/ about 93000 miles.  Lately it breaks down a lot, always something different, but water pumps, alternators, axles, etc.  don't last forever apparently.  I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping nothing else breaks soon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at your owners manual, mine says to change it every 3,500 to 7000 miles, I picked 5,000 so it's very easy to remember when. 3,000 miles is a minimum, no wonder Jiffy Lube recommends it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My newer cars 97 & 99 models get changed every 7,500.

My beater commuter 92 S10 120,000miles gets changed about once a year.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally think that for a person that drives his car back & forth to work, and to the super market, and some family travel on the weekend, I think you can change the oil at the 6,000 mile interval.  I have been using the new synthetic oil Castrol, and I am going to start changing the oil at 7,500 miles or 6 months.  With these newer lubricating technology, I think it is safe to do a 6,000 oil change.  You could save your $24 and buy some ammo.  Of course if you drive professionally, or in dusty climates, that could change.  Most modern engines will last 200,000 miles easy, it the prepherals - upholstry, water pumps, that wear out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
the vette get castrol synthetic every 2,500 to 3,000 miles,the truck about 4,000 to 6,000 miles.mmk
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]
We change ours every 3000, but we also live on a dirt road and have to drive between 1.5 and 3.5 miles to reach a blacktop road.  I should say that I 'try' to change mine every 3000.  It seems like I always get busy and run up to 6,7,8000 before I finally have time to do it.  Its handy that my father-in-law farms and has a big machine shed.  I just find time to go over to his place and do it myself.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I try to do mine every 3000 miles or so.  Sometimes it over sometimes under.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
As a former auto tech, 3000 miles is a good idea if using conventional motor oil. If you are using synthetic than I would say 6000 miles is ok,  All depends on your driving conditions. I can't tell you how many times my customers claimed they changed oil every 3000 miles after scooping out sludge from their engines!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I change oil in all of our vehicles every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. I believe that it helps. Our 1985 Cougar has 260,000 miles on. Our 1985 F350 has 160,000 on it. I do put Slick 50 in all of our 6 vehicles every 50,000 miles.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Do it myself every 3000 miles.

Last truck had 159,000 on it.

Truck before that had 250,000 miles on it.  Sold it for $3000.

Truck before that had 180,000 miles on it.

Never paid anyone to change my oil ever.  Like working on my own stuff as much as I can.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#11]
My K1500 Suburban gets fresh Mobil 1 and filter every 3000.  It hauls kids around town, works on the ranch and takes the family on vacations.  At 100K we pulled a valve cover and it looked like new.  I treated my Seville the same way and it had 310K on it when I moved up.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
If you drive all highway with a quality oil it is safe to go 4-6K miles.  If you drive in traffic or just stop and go through stop signs and traffic lights all the time (as in northern VA) You will do yourself a great service to change it every 3,000.  Short trips around town do not get the oil hot enough to burn off all the impurities that build up.  Many times if you do city driving and then go on a long trip you will notice your oil level drop, you don't necessarily have a leak it is just all the impurities burning up.  Me, I drive around town so a change every 2500-3000 or 4-5months. If you drive all highway it is safe to go 4-6K miles.  If you drive in traffic or just stop and go through stop signs and traffic lights all the time (as in northern VA) You will do yourself a great service to change it every 3,000.  Short trips around town do not get the oil hot enough to burn off all the impurities that build up.  Many times if you do city driving and then go on a long trip you will notice your oil level drop, you don't necessarily have a leak it is just all the impurities burning up.  Me, I drive around town so a change every 2500-3000 or 4-5months.

That would be this weekend and I change it myself.  As platform said, I do all work that is feasible myself.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I've rebuilt a couple of friends' engines before and have seen the results of miserly oil changes - worn cam lobes and damaged lifters.

Not for a minute do I buy that 6000-7000 miles per oil change bunk.  Do yourself a big favor, change it every 3000 and you'll save yourself thousands of dollars on a newer car or a rebuild.

Same goes for gasoline.  Super unleaded is less than 10% more than regular.  Use the Super and you'll save yourself about $400 on a fuel injector cleaning job, and your car will run better.  People think they're saving big bucks by using the regular...

CMOS

Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I do every 3000 miles or 3 months which ever comes first.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I change every 3333. I do this since its easy to remember when to change oil. Every time the milage hits 3333, 6666, or 9999 you change it. that way u don't have to try and remember what the milage was of your last change.
i drive mostly city and have a fast car, so i thats why i stick to 3,333 miles.
boom!
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
i change it every 3k to 4k.  One of the few things I can still do with a car.  My speciality is rebuilding carbs, don't know why the're just fun to rebuild.

and don't use any of that fancy expensive oil (like Leupold scopes) just some of that cheap@ss chi-com import stuff (Tasco quality) [:D]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Oil will last more than 3K, depending on the oil, car and driving habits.  The filter, however, is another story.  Some filters are ineffective after no more than 1500 miles.  I'm a 3K or 3 month man.

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope not me. Every 7K. As per manual if you're using synthetics.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I change oil in all of our vehicles every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. I believe that it helps. Our 1985 Cougar has 260,000 miles on. Our 1985 F350 has 160,000 on it. I do put Slick 50 in all of our 6 vehicles every 50,000 miles.
View Quote
                                          I am a person in charge of maintaining a large fleet of vehicles. everything from lawnmowers to class 8 heavy trucks. we definitely use the 3000/3mo. policy for oil and filter replacement. our vehicles exibit very low mileage, but high idle and short trip type of useage. this schedule works best overall, and i personally believe in the same approach for my own vehicles. to go along with this, it is extremely important to keep ALL fluid levels at optimum ALL the time. i`ve seen MOST engine failures caused by low coolant than anything else. The reason i quoted this thread....i use slick 50 in my personal vehicles. it was almost by accident that i realized the benefit of supplements, and even though one of the participants of the "duralube" video ad programs is a personal friend (no joke) and i`m not knocking duralube, slick 50 has proven it`s worth to me. ( i feel the BEST additive is PTFE) those who use synthetic on a regular schedule have the best way to go.....your engine will treat you as you treat it.....B&G
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#21]
The main reason to change oil is not that it breaks down but that it slowly accumulates water and sulfuric and hydrocloric acids during the combustion process. These contaminants slip past the piston rings and gather in the oil. Some newer cars like various Mercedes have special oil filters that can remove these impurities along with the ordinary pieces of metal and crud. They don't have to have an oil change for 20,000 miles.

As for my car, it leaks oil so it basically gets a fresh quart about once every two months. I may go to Jiffy lube about once a year to get rid of the water and crap inside.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, Mercedes say 20k and they have high compression engines.  As for most cars I go every 3 months.  I put on way too many miles for the 3000 miles crap jiffy lube tries to sell.  I drive a jeep, last one was a cherokee and it's engine died at 230k miles(main seal problem leaked all the oil out real fast while driving).  This one, grand cherokee, has 100k on it now, and the only problem so far, other than my hitting things, was an A/C problem(VERY important in a black vehicle).

I put about 33000 miles a year on my vehicles.

Link Posted: 5/2/2001 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#23]
every 3K for the most part. Occassionally, if its a lot of highway miles I'll go longer. Do most oil and filter changes on my own in my garage. Its the one thing I wouldn't skimp on.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Dan, I do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I change my CLP every 3000 rounds!
TF
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Without going in to it too deeply, you do not need to change your oil under normal circumstances that often.  This is my opinion as a result of 20 years being an automotive technician for a large fleet and doing years of oil testing and analysis programs involving taking samples of oil from varions vehicles and having it analyzed by a lab.  The results would boggle most peoples minds as to the condition of the oil even after 10K or 20K miles or more on it.  I believe that shops that tell you to change your oil every 3K miles just want your money. (no offense oneshot1kill)  Granted there is not a lot of money in oil changes though.  It is in the " Well mam, you need a new air filter and belts too". Many years ago with the old oil forumlas it may have been necessary and I was even brought up that way.  However, now the oil is much better now and experience has tought me otherwise and I do not think that it is necessary to change so often.  I personally change mine every 5 to 6K miles and that is most likely changing good oil also, but experience also says do not push your luck.  What it kind of all boils down to is, change as frequently as you are comfortable with and by all means if your vehicle is still under warranty, follow the manufactures recommendations in order not to void your warranty.  Hope that this is in some way help to you.

CHZ
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Go by the owners manual while in warrantee and keep all receipts and document dates and milage(if you don't you may buy an engine). Afterwards how ever often it needs it. My truck (diesel) holds 10 quarts and the filter is around $7 so it adds up. I use Amsoil synthetic and from what I hear it is not unusual to put over 20k on this oil before it shows any signs of breakdown. After my warrantee period I will send samples for analysis at 10k and 15k to verify its condition. Afterwards 15k will be my interval if it proves to be ok there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#28]
94 Chevy 6.5 turboand 90 jeep cherokee 4.0 both at 3000.  Oil is too cheap and motors are too expensive.Oh yeah and all gear oil at least once a year
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I've always used regular motor oils, not synthetics, in the two trucks I've owned and changed the oil and filter every 3000 miles religiously. If memory serves, you shouldn't break in an engine with synthetics; using synthetics, I wouldn't hesitate to go 5000 miles between oil changes.

That said, the '76 Datsun King Cab I bought brand-new went 273,000 miles with no oil-related failures. Though the rings did get pretty worn by that time and it was drinking quite a bit of oil, the thing that killed it was when an inattentive driver pulled out in front of me and totalled my little truck two blocks from home.

My current ride is a '94 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2x4 with the 4.0-liter V-6 and five-speed. I just take it to the dealer I bought it from (new) every 3000 because I don't have the time to monk with that stuff anymore.

Come to think of it, I also have an '89 Yamaha Venture Royale and change the oil and filter myself every 3000. Its alternator has been out for the past year so I don't ride it any more though. Saving up to fix it hasn't been as much of a priority as, say, the LEGP! [owned]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
My Chevy S-10 w/Vortec V-6 has 136,000 miles and runs like a top. Oil changed no more than every 5000 miles. Anything more is just marketing hype (OK, unless under severe conditions).
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I personally think that for a person that drives his car back & forth to work, and to the super market, and some family travel on the weekend, I think you can change the oil at the 6,000 mile interval.
View Quote

Actually, it's this kind of driving that's hardest on an engine and its oil, requiring more frequent oil changes. Highway driving will let you extend your oil drain interval somewhat.

I have been using the new synthetic oil Castrol, and I am going to start changing the oil at 7,500 miles or 6 months.
View Quote

Yuo can't just switch to synthetic oil and extend your oil drain - the same amount of contaminants will be in the oil (and filter) when you reach your current drain interval. The best way to do it is to go through 2 oil changes to completely purge any mineral oil from your system, then go 5K miles and have an oil analysis done at oil change time. This will tell you the state of your oil (and engine), and if everything's within tolerances you can extend the dran interval if you feel like it. Another good idea is a full-bypass oil filter, which filters a portion of the oil and removes particles down to 1 or 2 microns. It's an additional filter that works in parallel with your existing filter. They usually require some plumbing to install, though.

Most modern engines will last 200,000 miles easy, it the prepherals - upholstry, water pumps, that wear out.
View Quote

Actually, any engines produced in the last 50 or so years will go to 200K if modern detergent oils are used. The actual metallurgy of the engines and bearings really hasn't changed, and that's what the oil is lubing and protecting. I'm sure someone here used to use non-detergent motor oils and saw something resembling a jello mold upon pulling a valve cover off. All that sludge is the main reason you were lucky to get 100K out of an engine back in the 50s and 60s.

PS - My '85 Chevy K10 w/6.2L diesel holds 7 quarts of oil (actually 8 quarts because I use a 2-quart oil filter) and gets its oil changed every 2500 miles. Other light-truck diesels (Powerstroke, Cummins) have 50%-100% larger sumps, which means the contaminants are spread out among 1.5-2X as much oil as in mine. I think these motors can easily handle a 15K-20K drain interval with oil analysis support, even if you use a mineral oil like Rotella T, Ursa, Delo 400, etc.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Oil's chaep, motors aren't!
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Oil's chaep, motors aren't!
View Quote
                                           OR......pay me now......pay me later....[sex]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I own a 93 accord that is my work car. I have changed the oil every 3000 to 5000 miles with Mobil 1 and Fram filters. Just had the 90k service and the mechanics at the Honda dealer wanted to know what kind of oil I use because " the motor in that thing looks brand new"

Also use it in 96 chevy truck and wife's new Prelude
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#35]
One exception to the rule - Rental Cars (Hertz, Avis etc) can go for prolonged periods without oil changes, easily 30k miles. In fact they can take speed bumps at three times the speed of a personal car and you can park them in much tighter places as well not having to worry about parking lot dings.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I drive an ancient Buick and a pretty old minivan.  I change the oil in both of them at the same time, once ever 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever happens first.  My cars are driven in a nasty urban environment and crawl through traffic jams each day.  The oil is filthy every time I change it in the old Buick, and plenty dirty in the minivan.  I wish I had switched to synthetic oils earlier on the Buick.  By the way I can change my oil in both cars in about the time it would take to drive to Jiffy Lube and wait in line and get the job done there.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Not any more. now its whenever i get to it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Consumer Reports magazine did a test a few months ago on a fleet of new taxi cabs. After 100,000 miles the engines were overhauled and the piston rings, cylinder walls, and crankshaft bearings were lab tested. They found no difference in engines with oil changed every 3000 miles versus 6000 miles, and recommend 6000 mile intervals.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#39]
i change it when the oil is dirty
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I was in the automotive maintamce business for 7 long years and I have learned a few things.

1) Everyone lives in severe driving conditions (i.e. Stop and go/high smog areas/ hot climates/etc)

2) Oil [b]NEVER[/b] wears out, the additives in the oil does (detergents/viscosity improvers/etc)

3) For every 1 gallon of gas burned 14000 cubic feet of air passes thru the air cleaner.

4) [b]The main reason for changing oil is to get rid of the dirt and contaminates in the engine.  Not because the oil is worn out but because the additives are no longer providing protection against the contaminates.[/b]

5) Old oil changed after 6000-7500 miles is a lot dirtier then oil cheanged after only 3000 miles.

6) Synthetic oils provide superior protection than regular oil. But they should still be changed at 3000 miles, because the additives are still the same and the same amount of dirt and contaminants enter the engine(see #2 and #3).

7) The most overlooked part in a car is the airfilter and the PCV valve!!  Highly recommended that they get changed at least every 3rd oil change.

And lastly, every car built from 1983 requires eather 5-30 or 10-30 oil, except deisels. Never use 20-50 as it will cause premature wear on the engine at start up. And if the car is under warrenty save all receipts because they dealers will always accuse you of not properly following maintance schedules.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I use Moboil 1 from day one, and change my oil every (about but no more than) 10,000 miles.
I did it in my last car (Mazda Protosé) and had no problems even after 120,000 miles, and now I'm doing it in my Toyota truck...
I drive from 40 to 120 miles a day and have no engine problems...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Mr Grinch finally covered what all of you should have read!  Not a few months ago, but rather years ago CU micrometered the cranks, cam and pistons/rings on a full fleet of identical fresh yellow cabs before and after 100,000 miles and found you're only helping the oil companies bottom line with the 3000 mile changes.  6000 miles is the correct interval for oil AND filter changes.  An interesting side note was the discovery that the teflon-type additives did NOTHING for engine wear reduction.  The dirt and particulates are trapped in your filter, which has paper in it that is never even used in 6000 miles.  You change your oil because it breaks down under high heat conditions over about 230 o F.  Overheated oil can't transfer heat and deliver lubricity as well as oil changed following the manufacturer's recommendations.  Also, FRAM spends your money on advertising and shelf space, not quality.  They were rated among the lowest in quality and integrity.  I was fooled for so long!
   The funniest response was the Mobil-1 at 3000 miles.  Now that is hilarious!  Excuse me while I run out and buy more oil stocks...
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I change my oil every 3000 fries need it or not.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Ahhhh!  But the more important question is how often do you change your underwear?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#45]
I try to change mine every 2,500 miles. That means I sometimes get it done at 2,500, but usually at least under 3,000. My car also has 130,000 miles on it, and has recently through no choice of my own come up time for an overhaul.

In the last 2 weeks I have had to replace 2 tie rods, 2 struts, 2 shocks, 4 tires, get an alignment, 2 heater hoses (1 that burst), 1 ujoint, air filter, ditributor cap and rotor, spark plugs, clean the intake, detail the engine compartment because of all the radiator fluid that went everywhere, replace the starter, the battery, and change the oil. Next big project is to replace the rear main seal that's leaking. I'm not looking forward to that!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I own  an '85 El Camino that I change oil in every 3000 mi/3 mos. whichever comes first. About 2200 mi. this last time.

My dad owned the car for close to 10 yrs. before I bought it from him. He change oil every 2000 mi. come h#ll or high water. The old oil was as clear as new when he changed it. (I had seen it myself many times.)

When I change oil it is a light brown rather than black like usually seen. The gaskets leak some, but the engine purrs like the provebial Fluffy. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#47]
i change ever 5k miles with castrol syntec 10-30 which is vastly superior IMHO to mobil one

steve
99 l/r discovery v8
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#48]
no
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#49]
The Consumer's Report may have a point but you should consider that a cab is putting on those miles in rapid fashion and though the trips may be short they are constant so you are avoiding the warm-ups that most of us have between trips.  

My trips are mostly short except for vacations so I change every 3K and doing it yourself is a hassle in CA, mostly finding an oil dump (and paying to dump it).
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#50]
You guys using synthetics are changing it more often then you need, methinks.  I'm using Amsoil and changing the filter every 3000, but leaving the oil.  I send a sample of the oil to Oil Testers with the latest info on the oil (miles since last oil change, miles since filter change, account number) and wait for the results.  About a week later, I have the results of my oil and a detailed list of the types and amounts of particles in the oil and the viscosity.  It also maps the degradation of the oil and engine from the first time you run your oil with them to the latest time (the reason for the account number).  I currently have about 30K on my oil in my Subaru Outback.  I'll probabbly change it soon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top