Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2017 12:31:49 AM EDT
You might remember my ambidextrous bullpup design  and multi-caliber AR15 magazine (Unimag), first revealed here on AR15.com in 2012. Back then, I received a warm welcome from the ARFCOM community. At the time, I wanted to return to the US from Germany and, thanks in part to your help, I succeeded. Unfortunately, neither my employer nor I could anticipate the expansion of scope of ITAR. At time that the production development was finished, I could no longer own a part of the company, nor legally work for it as an employee.

While TV talking heads claim that temporary foreign workers on H-1B visas take American jobs, my inventions has generated at least two new jobs for American workers, likely increasing to five shortly. Due to the overreach of ITAR, the inventor can no longer work in anything related to defense or firearms industry.  I value myself in-line with American Value and I position law and order above personal feelings. I uphold US Constitution as my personal guide and would like to defend it if called upon. I'd like to stay and contribute to make United States a better, stronger country.

So here I am again, looking for a job that can sponsor H-1B and my Eb-2 green card application to pursue the American Dream. I want to the ARFCOM community to help start a new endeavor, preferably a non-ITAR related mechanical engineering business. I still have great passion and many new product ideas and designs for the firearm industry, they just have to wait for the change in my immigration status.

I am applying for Green Card through EB-1A route as well. It is the expedited route of to permanent residency requiring special credentials, which I possess. However, there is a requirement there that the authority needs to know if I am “famous” or “important” to the United States. I originally planned to reveal another firearm design, like I did with the ambidextrous bullpup, to help the fame. However, for the past four years in the US, I have dedicated all my professional life to the Unimag project to bring it from prototype into production, and to solve numerous problem that were encountered. The time constraints are now against me: I wish to stay in America, and I must work to feed a growing family. While the new design, Longziz #3, is already on the drawing board, it's not ready for prime time – but I can’t wait any longer.

By revealing my personal story, I hope to gain a job that would lead towards the American Dream. I also hope that you can help me tell my story to a wider audience, hopefully generating enough “fame” or “importance” to get my Green Card sooner. If you know anyone in the broadcast, print or social media that would want to publicize a legal immigrant’s struggle to pursue the American Dream, please contact me for more details. If you know a high official in this industry that willing to write me a recommendation letter to make a case to the immigration authority, please contact me as well.

In today’s politics, the topic of immigration has been hijacked by the apologists for illegal immigration. Not only they have congress and senate voice on their side, their numbers overwhelm those of our legal immigrants. Republican senator and congressman had long proposed bills that would allow STEM students to get US Green Cards easier, but that sound proposal was hijacked by Democrats on behalf of the illegals. Last time I checked, that bill went nowhere. The few Chinese Americans in Congress won't speak for our legal immigrants. If nobody speaks for me, at least I can and I am willing to speak for myself. God willing, I may speak for other people just like me also.

I am looking for a job requiring real-world problem solving skill and experience in designing products that would meet both the customers' and manufacturer’s needs. When the Unimag project experienced numerous dimensional and distortion problems caused by stamping, welding and surface treatment, I came up a combined solution to bring the stamping, heat treatment and coating supplier to work together. As the manufacturing business is starting to come back to this country from overseas, I hope my experience and skill set will be put to use by a discerning employer.

My resume:
Objective

•Product Design Engineer/Project Manager
•Manufacturing Design Engineer/Project Manager

Summary of Qualification:

•I am a professional innovator, holding four granted personal patents (US8746126 B2; US8745911 B2; US8667724 B2; US8850732 B2), one for my employer (US9459440 B2), and two personal provisional patent applications (patent pending).
•Possess strong problem solving technique and experience, especially under space and time constrains, usually with unorthodox approach and elegant solutions. I have worked with machining, injection molding, stamping, heat treatment, surface coating, welding, riveting, and more.
•Work and coordinate with suppliers of injection molding, extrusion, stamping, heat treatment, surface processing, etc. to streamline interdisciplinary issue and ensure on-time delivery.
•Team player with group large or small, stepping up to lead when leadership is required.
•Organizing and negotiation skills that bring suppliers to work together to deliver on time.
•Marketing and sales experience, including trade show and sales event oeganization.

Technical Skills:

•Computer: MS Office suite, AutoCAD, SolidEdge V20, CATIA V5, SprutCAM
•Tools: Tormach CNC, Manual mill, lathe, Drill, etc. (full machine shop suite)
•Woodwork: professional level carpenter, handyman.

Education:

•Doctor of Science in Design of Mechanical Engineering  - Washington University in St. Louis, August 2009
•Master of Science in Numerical Analysis of Math – University of Cincinnati, June 2000
•Graduate Diploma in Aerodynamics of Aerospace Engineering – Northwestern Polytechnical University, China, July 1992

Experience:

President and CTO        Ross Zheng Engineering LLC, Texas                                         Nov. 2013 - Present
•Implement two patents into a product from prototyping to mass production.
•Designed and implemented unique welding jig to satisfy dimensional needs.
•Designed and implemented heat treatment jig to reform the stamped shell and release the stress caused by welding.
•Designed and implemented surface processing jig to minimize the distortion that caused by the process.
•Work and coordinate with suppliers of multiple disciplines / locations to deliver on time.
•Identify and negotiate with potential customers and service providers.
•Quality control and improvement.
•Organizing trade show and sales event.

Chief Mechanical EngineerRoss Optical Industries, Texas                              Nov. 2012 - Present
•Overseeing and Developing the industrialization method and procedure to produce accessories, including but not limited to scopes and their subassembly.
•Organizing supplier and vendor to cooperate into the projects.
•Organizing testing and evaluation with potential customer and industry manufacturer.
•Initiating and negotiating business deal with supplier and customer.

Civil Airplane System/Safety Engineer    Quality Park Aviation Center, Germany   Sep. 2009 - Nov. 2012
•Various safety analysis (FHA, PSSA, V&V, PRA, etc.) for A320, A330, and A350XWB program
•Design and verify new assembly jig for Airbus A380 vertical stabilizer assembly to solve main rudder shaft axial misalignment caused by assembly stress of riveting.

Formula SAE race car builder             Washington University in St. Louis                Nov. 2004 - Dec. 2008
•Design and build Formula SAE open wheel race car for FSAE student division.
•Designed, built and raced our #47 car in 2007 competition in Detroit.

Senior Optical Networking Engineer       Corvis Corporation, Maryland                   Nov. 2000 - Dec. 2003
•Implemented the world first all-optical DWDM network for Broadwing.
•Team leader of the Williams (now Wiltel) DWDM network implementation
•System configuration, manufacturing test, and training of customer.
•Developed training, troubleshooting material for the training department and the Customer Call Center.
•Help new product development by offering field compatibility insight for the new product design and providing functionality design for both hardware and software

Senior System Engineer     Hangzhou ECI Telecom Co. Ltd., China                            Feb. 1997 - Sep. 1998
•Team leader of engineering department on sales, implement, and maintenance of SDH network.
•Install and maintain POS systems for the grocery stores like Watson’s, Pakin’s, and Dutyfree in China.
•Developed management software packages for local small business firms and hospitals.

Contact information:

Email: [email protected]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember those threads, you do have talent and drive. Have you tried going to the team section, and posting this in the jobs section?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to work on residential cooking products checkout Viking Range, we need some more solid engineers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember those threads, you do have talent and drive. Have you tried going to the team section, and posting this in the jobs section?
View Quote

Just did. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Northrop Grumman has been hiring for a year.  You might not be too late if you bring something unusual to the table.

Otherwise, SpaceX and Blue Origin are possibilities.  Maybe Sierra Nevada; that is a privately held company, and I expect it comes with the problems of privately held aerospace companies.
View Quote

Thanks! I thought NG need citizenship to work there. Will Try SpaceX and Blue Origin. Blue Origin's TX facility is not far away from where I am.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you want to work on residential cooking products checkout Viking Range, we need some more solid engineers.
View Quote

PM sent
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:46:31 AM EDT
[#7]
https://careers.google.com/jobs#t=sq&q=j&li=20&l=false&j=mechanical&jcoid=7c8c6665-81cf-4e11-8fc9-ec1d6a69120c&jcoid=e43afd0d-d215-45db-a154-5386c9036525

We hire a lot of mechanical engineers, you'd be surprised the things we're physically building. Lots of H1B's over here, Google has the process as streamlined as can be.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out Elliot Company.  I have several connections there on both the corporate side and the production side which MAY help you in the hiring process.  The pool of talent they hire from is worldwide, so working with you shouldn't be a huge deal so long as you have the experience and expertise they're looking for.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure where you are in TX, but Southwest Research always seems to be looking for engineers here in San Antonio. They handle a wide variety of projects.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Air Tractor in Olney, Texas? Small company but doing well. Very few ITAR issues as far as I know. I have no idea if they are hiring, but it's the only company in Texas that popped into mind that might be able to use mechanical engineers with aero experience.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, you can also check out FMC Technologies.  They're based out of Austin if you don't want to leave Texas.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you all for the lead. I will check them all. I do love Texas, but will consider any offer nationwide.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Start looking at companies around Huntsville, AL.  NASA still has a presence there and there are several companies in the area always looking for competent engineers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Firefly Space Systems and Magpul have offices in the Austin area.  
Lotsa hardware companies here and they hire mechanical & electrical engineers. And I'd suggest taking a look at the energy sector, as well. 

http://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=mechanical+engineer&l=Austin%2C+TX&from=home%2Cwhatauto
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#16]
"At time that the production development was finished, I could no longer own a part of the company, nor legally work for it as an employee" -- you mean while already being in the US under a different visa ?

Something is missing ?
Glock, Beretta, HK, Others.. All have foreign to the US, citizens that have ownership in said company's while continuing to operate and manage those company's from foreign soil. Plenty of foreign owned ITAR compliant companies.  Reguardless that the company is set up as ?.? USA. The actual ownership and general management is directed by foreign owners. Which is disclosed. Foreign company managers, engineers, etc travel to the US all the time. In all manner of potential ITAR related manufacturing.

Did you get sold a bucket of BS to get you out of the Company ?

One thing I can tell you when it comes to ITAR is you need to read every thing and chase down every exception. There are exceptions hidden within exceptions. Plus you have to keep in mind when dealing with the tards @ Immigration that you may very well have learned more about the subject than they did and if you did not then you have little chance.
The standard Govt answer is NO whenever anything out of the ordinary comes up. Many years ago I was  registered with DDTC and State Dept. (ITAR). my previous experience: know more than the person you are talking to and be able to site and understand every exception. You will need to learn US lawyer speak as well to have a full understanding. Best wishes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Get a PHD and get an O1 visa.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Northrop Grumman has been hiring for a year.  You might not be too late if you bring something unusual to the table.

Otherwise, SpaceX and Blue Origin are possibilities.  Maybe Sierra Nevada; that is a privately held company, and I expect it comes with the problems of privately held aerospace companies.
View Quote

Northrop is mostly hiring for bomber which will more than likely require a clearence. You have to be a US citizen to get a clearence and/or be allowed to receive ITAR information.

Will
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I dunno, maybe try ABB though the pay is lower compared to some of the competition. They are international and work in robotics, power electrical and wind/solar.   Maybe oil industry or Nuclear possibly. good luck and congrats on doing it the right way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a PHD and get an O1 visa.
View Quote
He has a PHD.

Look for a job with a university. They hire outside H1B requirements with no limit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread has potential to deliver.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#22]
why won't my universal mags drop free .   have to pull them out of mag well ??
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tag.

Hope you find something.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Are you Indian or Muslim or African?  No?  Well good luck then...

But anyways, I propose a compromise:  For every H1B hire a company makes they have to hire two Americans at equivalent or greater compensation.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"At time that the production development was finished, I could no longer own a part of the company, nor legally work for it as an employee" -- you mean while already being in the US under a different visa ?

Something is missing ?
Glock, Beretta, HK, Others.. All have foreign to the US, citizens that have ownership in said company's while continuing to operate and manage those company's from foreign soil. Plenty of foreign owned ITAR compliant companies.  Reguardless that the company is set up as ?.? USA. The actual ownership and general management is directed by foreign owners. Which is disclosed. Foreign company managers, engineers, etc travel to the US all the time. In all manner of potential ITAR related manufacturing.

Did you get sold a bucket of BS to get you out of the Company ?

One thing I can tell you when it comes to ITAR is you need to read every thing and chase down every exception. There are exceptions hidden within exceptions. Plus you have to keep in mind when dealing with the tards @ Immigration that you may very well have learned more about the subject than they did and if you did not then you have little chance.
The standard Govt answer is NO whenever anything out of the ordinary comes up. Many years ago I was  registered with DDTC and State Dept. (ITAR). my previous experience: know more than the person you are talking to and be able to site and understand every exception. You will need to learn US lawyer speak as well to have a full understanding. Best wishes.
View Quote

It all depends on where you were born. My country of origin, PRC, is unfortunately on Clinton's Arms ban, including IP.

As of forced out of the company, when you have a sword of ITAR hanging on the back of your neck, that's just some excuse you can not treat it lightly. Do I have a bad taste in the mouth? Sure! But I consider it as taking one for the team. For my employer/ex-partner, who spend over a million of borrowed and his own money, I owe him a chance to recover his money.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

It took us a while to find out exactly what happened. It turns out that our coating supplier added a procedure to cover a problem of their own, but have evil affect on us. It also expose the potential of supplier to screw up in other occasions. So to eliminate such problem, we redesigned the manufacturing process to fix them all. It takes us some time to reach this final decision. Due to the timing effect (holiday season of last year), the new jig would not come in until March.

I have advised to replace all sold mag that affected by this. However for my current situation, exactly when and how that would happen is out of my control. What I can say is that the guy left who is going to take care of this is a standup guy and he will try his best to satisfy you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top